When to apply for Amtrak GR Credit Card

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
I am a young dude whose building up the credit score at the moment. Last time I checked it was good, not excellent. And I havent been late paying any bills.

So at what point should I apply for the credit card? At about what credit score, am I guaranteed?

I am a young dude whose building up the credit score at the moment. Last time I checked it was good, not excellent. And I havent been late paying any bills.

So at what point should I apply for the credit card? At about what credit score, am I guaranteed?
I took a chance earlier this year even though my bankruptcy was still on my credit reports (I was out of it, but it stays on the reports another 3 years) knowing that the reports would indicate that the bankruptcy would be "dropping off" the reports this summer. My credit score was Good at that time. I was rejected because of the bankruptcy. Figuring it was a computer generated reject, I appealed. I was told that I could probably get one with a low credit limit, but the "guys upstairs" would need to approve. Got another reject letter for the same reason and then 4-5 days later received the card. :D BTW, I just checked a free credit rating (through one of my credit cards) and it went from good to excellent. Obviously the bankruptcy fell off that report which is the same report Chase used. And I got an increase in my AGR CC credit limit. :)

I took a chance earlier this year even though my bankruptcy was still on my credit reports (I was out of it, but it stays on the reports another 3 years) knowing that the reports would indicate that the bankruptcy would be "dropping off" the reports this summer. My credit score was Good at that time. I was rejected because of the bankruptcy. Figuring it was a computer generated reject, I appealed. I was told that I could probably get one with a low credit limit, but the "guys upstairs" would need to approve. Got another reject letter for the same reason and then 4-5 days later received the card. :D BTW, I just checked a free credit rating (through one of my credit cards) and it went from good to excellent. Obviously the bankruptcy fell off that report which is the same report Chase used. And I got an increase in my AGR CC credit limit. :)
How far back was the bankruptcy?

How far back was the bankruptcy?
10 years. I was out of bankruptcy at 7 years, but it stays on the reports for an additional 3 years. I actually got one cc during the 7 years. And another around the 7 year mark. The only reason I applied for the AGR one before the 10 year mark was because I wanted the bonus points to help me "pay" for my trip to the gathering later this year.

At about what credit score, am I guaranteed?
There's really no point at which you are guaranteed the card.

If you think that your credit might be a bit dodgy, I'd suggest looking over at CreditBoards.com for help.

A score of 750, with low utilization, established accounts, and no derogatory marks is pretty good these days. I believe that 750 is higher than what 50-60% of America have.

I'm 19, and with an average account age of less than a year, a score of 720 (744 now), and low credit utilization, I was approved for a CSP w/ a $5000 limit. I'd think that you shouldn't have a major issue getting the AGR card. At the same time, it is a mystery as to how a company decides to grant credit. The general points that I outlined above give a pretty good idea, but only they truly know the credit profile and history that they are looking for in the ideal cardholder.

My general impression is that many of the premium credits cards seem to have lower standards these days. People stopped using credit cards during the recession, and that really hurt the bottom lines of many credit card companies. With the economy starting to recover (somewhat) many people, despite damaged credit, are in the market for new cards. The companies have realized that in order to not miss out on potential customers, they have to lower their standards a bit, or most of those who are interested would be denied.

I'm pretty sure that if I had applied for a CSP a few years ago, with the exact same credit history and score, Chase would have most likely laughed me out of the building. Now, things are a bit different.

Because of medical problems that actually forced me into Disability & Bankruptcy, my credit went down the toilet back in 2003!!! For a while, I had the Amtrak Chase Debit AGR Card, which was great but short lived, as they did away with it! Over the years, I applied for the Credit Card many times & was turned down!

Well after this thread was posted, I said what the ..... & applied again, Guess What! Today I got an email that I was accepted & will receive my card in 3 days!!!! Thanx AU once again!!!!

Look out Amtrak, here I come! WOOOO WOOOO WOOO!!! Oh My God, Christmas In July!!!! :hi:

Gonna Have Fun!!!!

Because of medical problems that actually forced me into Disability & Bankruptcy, my credit went down the toilet back in 2003!!! For a while, I had the Amtrak Chase Debit AGR Card, which was great but short lived, as they did away with it! Over the years, I applied for the Credit Card many times & was turned down!

Well after this thread was posted, I said what the ..... & applied again, Guess What! Today I got an email that I was accepted & will receive my card in 3 days!!!! Thanx AU once again!!!!

Look out Amtrak, here I come! WOOOO WOOOO WOOO!!! Oh My God, Christmas In July!!!! :hi:

Gonna Have Fun!!!!
It is a great feeling, isn't it? :) Congrats!!

Gonna Have Fun!!!!
It is a great feeling, isn't it? :) Congrats!!
GREAT??? WOW!!! I love Train Travel so much, because I cant drive, & it gives me an enjoyable way to see the country." A Great Feeling" is an understatement!!!!

Thanx Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
A score of 750, with low utilization, established accounts, and no derogatory marks is pretty good these days. I believe that 750 is higher than what 50-60% of America have.
I was playing around with Credit Karma a few days ago, and it said my credit score was also 750. It also showed that was in the top something like 90%.
I used Credit Karma once and compared it to a Experian which is one of three major credit agencies. Major differences!! I don't trust Credit Karma.

Shawn, the first time I applied for the AGR CC I was working full time and had a credit card that my Mom would let me use in emergencies only, that she was the sole responsible party for. When I was denied I contacted Chase and they told me I didn't have enough credit built up that showed I was able to have a CC. So I applied for a card through my Bank. Bank of America who gave me a card with a $500 limit. After about 6 months of using it and paying the amount in full each month I then reapplied and was approved for the card. So my suggestion is try to get a card that is for establishing credit. Then after 6 months try and apply for the card.

I was playing around with Credit Karma a few days ago, and it said my credit score was also 750. It also showed that was in the top something like 90%.
I used Credit Karma once and compared it to a Experian which is one of three major credit agencies. Major differences!! I don't trust Credit Karma.
I agree with you. It's been awhile since I last checked, but at that time it was over 800! I don't trust them either.

Credit Karma says my score is 580.

Um, no. I checked Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax a few days ago, and they all have me in the mid-700s.

Credit Karma is basically junk, quite frankly. The best way to monitor your score is to sign up for a subscription from MyFico.com (which uses your actual FICO score), or to have a credit card (like the Discover it) that gives you a monthly FICO score for free. More and more credit cards and banks are doing this, and it is a great boon for consumers.

Credit Karma is basically junk, quite frankly. The best way to monitor your score is to sign up for a subscription from MyFico.com (which uses your actual FICO score), or to have a credit card (like the Discover it) that gives you a monthly FICO score for free. More and more credit cards and banks are doing this, and it is a great boon for consumers.
Yeah, I get a free report from all three credit bureaus every month, courtesy of my bank (USAA). I also get score alerts and things like that.

I had a free monthly credit score from one of my credit cards a few years ago and my score was lower than what one of the mortgage lenders got when pre-approving me. That credit card dropped the free score last year. This year another credit card is providing free monthly credit scores. I take this score with a grain of salt. I may get a "real" credit score when I run my next free credit report in Sept to compare.

All of the services use different algorithms to calculate them - the "official" FICO score is proprietary and closely held. That doesn't mean that other scoring methods are "junk" or "worthless", they'll still give you an idea of what your credit is doing over time.

But comparing scores calculated via one method to scores calculated by someone else is like comparing apples and rocks.

Yeah, I get a free report from all three credit bureaus every month, courtesy of my bank (USAA). I also get score alerts and things like that.
Really? How have I been unaware of that? I love USAA.
Edit: I'm only seeing paid options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back