When to apply for Amtrak GR Credit Card

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops, sorry guys. It was a promotion when I signed up. I now pay $12.99/month for the monitoring.

Whoops, sorry guys. It was a promotion when I signed up. I now pay $12.99/month for the monitoring.
Isn't that a little pricey when most Credit Unions and some Credit Cards provide this info Free???
I pay it because I have been working on my credit for the past two years. Having unlimited access to my report, monitoring my score, and watching for alerts was essential. Changes posted every 1-3 weeks, and I wanted to stay on top of them.

Now that my credit has improved greatly and they no longer allow unlimited reports (they're now monthly), I plan to cancel the service.

At least for Discover, the score is complimentary.
Just in the last few months Discover has started to put my score on my monthly statement. They claim it is the FICO score....and it is within 12 points of what Credit Karma says. So, I would trust Credit Karma to be a legitimate estimate of a true score.

I'd forgotten about the FICO score on my Discover statement; I rarely if ever use my Discover card. So I looked at it and it is within 25 points of Experian and 31 of Credit Karma. I like the FICO score best; it's the highest of the three. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only score I ever look at is FICO.
The only score the bank looked at at my last mortgage refinance was some proprietary thing I'd never seen before -- seemed roughly fair - but -- whatever- and they disclosed - or were "transparent" -

FICO is the "gold standard" - but so many clones --

And the FICO can change at any time -- one - late payment, one - adverse anything - one - change in utilization -- 20-50 points up or down (mostly down)

The possible grantor of credit can't see your income - but can see how much you pay each month on all reported accounts. (If you ever don't pay on time -- points go down - miss 2 payments on anything -- bad bad bad)

By the way, for anyone who is interested in getting an AGR card right now, there is an 18,000 point bonus offer floating around. I'm pretty sure that it is targeted, but I'll post a link to the signup page (it may or may not work for you).

https://creditcards.chase.com/lp/amtrak/companion18k?CELL=6HKD
It's NOT FAIR!

When I requested my card a number of years ago, they gave me 12K points (OK I also got a voucher for a companion ticket). They also allowed me $5000 credit limit. Since then, they increased my limit to $9500.

So we applied for a card for her. Our family income is nearly all mine (her SS is as a spouse on mine and the rest comes from my IRA) but she got 18K points and an $18K credit limit.

Our credit score is unknown but has always been around 800. Nothing has changed in our lives since I got my card.

I need to have more wives!

All of the services use different algorithms to calculate them - the "official" FICO score is proprietary and closely held. That doesn't mean that other scoring methods are "junk" or "worthless", they'll still give you an idea of what your credit is doing over time.

But comparing scores calculated via one method to scores calculated by someone else is like comparing apples and rocks.
The fact of the matter is that there's more than one FICO score. Each bureau has their own sets of of scores calculated in different ways.

Free scores, like from Credit Karma, are very useful for tracking changes. Certainly, great for the price.

Back