Where can I get amtrak hats without paying shipping?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
Not directly related to train travel, but I couldn't find a better location to put this topic.

I always wear hats and want to get myself one of those cool amtrak hats they have on the amtrak shop.

Do they sell amtrak hats anyplace where I don't have to pay the outrageous shipping prices they charge online?

Do they sell the hats on the train or at the train stations?

Thanks!

Try your local model railroad shop.

Some stations. IE: Portland, OR.

Amazon

Got a location we might be able give you better options.

Just how bad is the shipping vs retail mark up?

Probably Amazon or Ebay would be your best bet. However the shipping prices Amtrak lists really aren't that outrageous for a small company (remember Amtrak isn't in the business of selling clothing, so think of their store as a small business); the only reason you can get better shipping prices from places like Amazon is because they ship thousands of dollars worth of stuff around the world every day. I would be surprised if the Amtrak Store shipped $100 worth of stuff a day, heck I'd be surprised if they did that in a week.

peter

Portland Station has a nice selection of Amtrak gear. Also, I bought a PPC hat on the PPC. However, these options are a little bit more than shipping charges!!! :giggle:

Shipping charge is pretty bad, lowest is $10. For a couple $10 hats, it's not worth it. Will be taking the empire builder from Seattle, so any place along the way (perhaps chicago?)

Last edited by a moderator:
yup I guess these companies never heard about USPS flatrate.

or they just like to rape you on shipping.

Probably Amazon or Ebay would be your best bet. However the shipping prices Amtrak lists really aren't that outrageous for a small company (remember Amtrak isn't in the business of selling clothing, so think of their store as a small business); the only reason you can get better shipping prices from places like Amazon is because they ship thousands of dollars worth of stuff around the world every day. I would be surprised if the Amtrak Store shipped $100 worth of stuff a day, heck I'd be surprised if they did that in a week.

peter
While Amtrak isn't in the business of selling clothing or gift trinkets, the Amtrak Store is actually run by Staples, which probably does tons of total sales.

They had some cool hats at the store on the 40th anniversary train. Not sure if that will be in your neck of the woods any time soon.

Not sure if that train will be in anyone's neck of the woods any time soon. The Train Day display is the last date shown for the anniversary tour (and since Amtrak is now 41 years old, not sure how much longer they can play the "40th" card).

Shipping charge is pretty bad, lowest is $10. For a couple $10 hats, it's not worth it. Will be taking the empire builder from Seattle, so any place along the way (perhaps chicago?)
You could always take the Cascades to Portland, then catch the Builder from there. It's a little out of the way, but you'd get some more train time. I was at the shop in PDX Union Station yesterday, and they definitely have a good selection of hats, along with t-shirts and other goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back