Who were the Amtrak Presidents?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I know going back in time the presidents we've had go David Gunn, George Warrington, and Tom Downs.

But who were their predescessors and what was each presidents successes/failures also could anyone give me the years they were president?

I just had a sudden interest in this. :)

add Alan Boyd and Paul Reisturup (or something like that) I think Claytor was the best, the most Heritage fleet was running under his administration. Also I remeber a heritage diner on 58 and 59 which made trips to and from my grandparents house in Rantoul, IL an event. Also remeber dome cars on the Capitol Limited.

Steve4031 said:
add Alan Boyd and Paul Reisturup (or something like that) I think Claytor was the best, the most Heritage fleet was running under his administration. Also I remeber a heritage diner on 58 and 59 which made trips to and from my grandparents house in Rantoul, IL an event. Also remeber dome cars on the Capitol Limited.
Don't forget they named Superliner II Auto Train Deluxe Sleeper

32502 "W. Graham Claytor, Jr." which was in the wreck of the Auto Train in Crescent City, FL 4/18/02

I know he is. I was planning to visit the "A. Phillip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum" in Chicago, but me and my mom got stranded out in the middle of the suburbs because we got on the wrong METRA train! ;) Anyways any more presidents. I would be interested in the very first president of Amtrak. Did he/she come from another private failing railroad?

Amfleet said:
I would be interested in the very first president of Amtrak. Did he/she come from another private failing railroad?
I believe that the first pres was Graham Claytor.

This quote will give you your answer.

The first Amtrak president, Roger Lewis, a refugee from the airline industry, didn't know beans about trains and doubted they would survive.
I found it here.

He didn't appear to be popular, as they said here.

Apparantly it goes like this: Roger Lewis, Alan S. Boyd, W. Graham Claytor Junior (1981), Tom Downs (1993), George Warrington, David Gunn (2002).

I found that out here.

Those articles should answer some questions.

Viewliner,

Cool thanks for the research. B) I don't know why I thought Claytor was the first, but then I was only 11 when Amtrak was formed. Back then I didn't even know what Amtrak was and there was no internet to do research on. :lol:

AlanB said:
Viewliner,
Cool thanks for the research. B) I don't know why I thought Claytor was the first, but then I was only 11 when Amtrak was formed. Back then I didn't even know what Amtrak was and there was no internet to do research on. :lol:
How could you be 11 when Amtrak was formed?

I'll double check on the presidents Steve. :)

Paul Reistrup seems to be between Roger Lewis and Alan Boyd.

He's now a CSX Vice President.

According to here

I found it here. I didn't read close enough previously.

Amfleet said:
What was life like before electricity. :D :lol:
Well we did have that back then. :)

However, I do remember when TV's only showed black and white pictures, the first man on the moon, and we didn't have PC's back then we still used typewriters. Yuck! :eek: Yes computers were around, but only in colleges and major businesses. I can also remember having to sit in a 4 block long line to buy gas for the car, and I could only go on even numbered days to buy it. :blink:

Mind you now though, I won't actually hit 42 till December. :lol:

Alan B., it is even worse for me, at 58. We did not even HAVE TV(in our family at least) until I was in about the 4th or 5th grade. Typewriters were purely manual, I remember when an "electric typewriter" was hot stuff. The secretary in the next office got one and all were thrilled...it even had a mechanism for correcting errors!!!!!!!!! Back to the TV, there was only one channel--period---just one. Don't remember if it was CBS or NBC...I know it was not ABC. TV signed on in the morning about 6:30 and went totally blank at night about 11 p.m. Yeah, I know, this is a railroad forum...just thought I would share some memories, esp. Alan's's era and before..

"This is the end of our broadcast day..."

Roll the Stars and Stripes...

Funny how you miss some things.

I remember the night they walked on the moon. I was 9 years old, got to stay up late and my dad was using an 8 mm camera to record the event on film!!

What I miss most is Saturday morning cartoons. I remember sitting in front of the TV every Christmas season, making my list from the commercials. From the crap they put on now, I get the impression the kids have no place in our society until they have spending money. When they get to that age, the networks provide programming and mindnumbing commercials to get that money.

Just had to add my two cents! :angry:

Joe B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back