Will anyone miss Amfleet cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never cared much for Amfleet cars -- small windows and seats that don't recline enough. They are okay on short distance routes, but Amtrak has also used them on long distance trains. That's where I really dislike them. A short distance car used on a long distance train equals nothing more than passenger discomfort. Let's see if the replacement cars are better.

I have an opinion about the new cars but I won't post it until it's informed by riding them. I'm taking Lincoln Service train 302 this week, anybody know if that has the new cars?
303 and 306 are using them, maybe try to switch to 306.

My first Amfleet ride was on the long gone Pioneer. It was exciting riding on a brand new type of coach. That excitement didn't last long.

The majority of Heritage cars still being used then were better, tho I understand why they were at the end of their long and illustrious lifespan. What I don't understand is why their replacements didn't try to emulate them more while also being compatible with modern railroading.
Everything was Airplane influenced then!

No, I will miss them. They can be very useful for starting new services if Amtrak will get off its duff. The gulf coast outcome will have a lot to do with how the AM-1 -2s are finally adding or scrapped.

I've been riding Amfleet Cars for as long as they have been running. Riding from New York to Providence I always look forward to the ocean side scenery around New London and for a short distance in East Greenwich and Warwick, RI. The windows have always been big eough for me to see it. And the seats are roomy and comfortable.
The airplane like design has never appealed to me; I am not embarrassed to ride in a railroad car that looks like a railroad car. But that is not really important either.

I love the Amfleet. I remember the first time I saw them in Chicago Union Station in the mid ‘70s, and I thought they were really cool. Then I logged a ton of miles on them over the years. When the Amfleet IIs came, I rode many miles in them from the Midwest to see my mom in North Carolina and many other eastern long distance adventures. I much prefer the Amfleet Is to the Horizons. I remember the Amfleet Is on the Shenandoah from Cincinnati to Washington with a couple roomettes added to Amfleet coach. I thought that was a cool idea and very creative. Amtrak was so innovative in the ‘70s. If they had kept that mindset, it would be a great system today. Yes, I’ll really miss the Amfleet.

I do miss the F40's and will miss the Superliner fleet but Amfleet rarely went where I lived or traveled so I don't really have any connection to it. I'll miss the Acela mainly because it looked cool and modern (for the time) despite the actual speed and ride quality leaving a lot to be desired.

The airplane imitation aspects of the Amfleets are *very* irritating, making for cramped luggage racks, small windows, and a poor match to the platform when boarding at high-level stations. They were reliable workhorses, though.

The Amfleets are just as much Amtrak as the F40 and the AEM7 the only difference is they've outlived basically everything, and will likely outlive the P42DC as well.

Some have already been preserved. But I strongly expect you will see several of these cars get preserved because to a lot of people, especially now in preservation as younger guys take over these are our trains. So I think you will see a decent amount get preserved, of course the majority will get cut up too but you should see quite a bit get saved. I might even try and save a few.

For a long time the Amfleet cars were my least favorite for coach travel, chiefly because of the small windows and the tube shape that puts the window farther away from one's seat. If you want to see the scenery, an Amfleet car certainly makes you work harder to enjoy it. When I was first riding Amtrak a lot from upstate New York to NYC in the '80s, I tried to the extent possible to travel on trains I knew were covered by Turboliners (flat sides, huge windows), and I was disappointed whenever an Amfleet train would show up.

But I have made my peace with the Amfleet cars and logged many miles in them over the years. Certainly one thing that made them appealing when they showed up on the NEC in the '70s was that they were new, clean and not battered. That alone was enough to help grow ridership all over the Northeast in the decades that followed. And as others have mentioned, the ride quality was smoother and quieter than on the older cars of that era.

Many may despise the "airplane tube", I bet many of Amtrak younger demographic likes it. For a lot of us, Amfleet and the Superliner are the only railcars we know. Both have been around that long.

Trains in Europe have gradually changed interiors to become more airline like in case you didn't notice.
Actually, it's quite possible the airlines developed their concepts of coach seating from railroad practice in the 1920s and 30s, when reclining coach seats were starting to become widespread on American railroads.. The main difference between train interiors and plane interiors is that the plane interiors are much more, shall we say, "cozy?"

Many may despise the "airplane tube", I bet many of Amtrak younger demographic likes it. For a lot of us, Amfleet and the Superliner are the only railcars we know. Both have been around that long.
Not to mention the Heritage fleet, especially the ex-Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Levels. I got to enjoy a Hi-Level Lounge on the Sunset long before they headed to the Starlight.

I think the reason my generation, and a few generations before me will miss the Amfleet/Superliner is because that is literally all we know. When we think of Amtrak the image of a string of Amfleets or Superliners with either an F40PH (Mostly 80s/90s Generation), or P42s (90s-Now Generations) pulling them along. Now my generation also knows and loves the heritage cars that came before them but we only know the baggage cars which no one has a suuper big attachment to. But the dining cars had a large attachment built to them because most of us shared a meal in them at some point. And they were the last relics you could walk into from that golden era.

Yes the cars have their shortcomings but nostalgia is all about one persons childhood and for sure they are mine. My first Amtrak ride was actually in a heritage car for about 90 miles on a demonstration train. But my second ride and subsequent rides were all in Amfleet II Coaches till we learned how great the Viewliner I Sleepers were.

And I'm sure you will see some nostalgia appear for the Viewliner as well, but it won't nearly be as strong as the Amfleet because of the shorter life span, and the smaller number of them.

The era that will end when the last Amfleet car is removed from service began six years before the first Amfleet car went into service. The Amfleet era began with the Penn Central Metroliner. In 1969, the Metroliner changed the perception of passenger rail in the northeast. Old, dirty and slow became new, shiny and fast. To use an overworked phrase, Metroliner was a game-changer for northeast passenger rail. I gladly paid the upcharge to ride “The Metro” to New York. I recall it was an extra 50 cents.

With Budd having built the Metroliners and still having the detailing and tooling for the design, Amtrak saw an opportunity to quickly upgrade its rattle-trap passenger fleet with a proven and available product. Thus was born the Amfleet car – a Metroliner car without the motors. Amtrak purchased the unpowered Metroliner cars with the aim of expanding Metroliner-type service to more trains in the northeast and to nonelectrified routes. Like the Metroliner before it, Amfleet was a game-changer for Amtrak. Finally the old Penn Central “roach coaches” could be replace with cars that looked like modern transportation. A modest order grew to a big order and finally to a huge order.

The term “work horse” certainly applies to Amfleet. The oldest Amfleet cars have been in service for 47 years. To put that in perspective, when Amtrak was formed in 1971 it inherited cars from the participant railroads. Few (if any) of those cars were even 30 years old. A 47-year-old car in 1971 would have been built in 1924.

Now in 2022, Amfleet is no longer the new shiny car on the rails. But, I don’t think it is a stretch to say that Amfleet has defined Amtrak for most of its existence. Amtrak got its money’s worth out of that purchase.

Ticket jacket from trip to New York on November 1, 1969. The "2300" is round trip for two Philadelphia to New York.
img20220309_23074559.jpg

What railfan doesn't miss the F40s?? Although I am too young to really see them in proper service.

Arriving into CUS on a LD train, it was memorable walking past the back to back F40s on the headend. The second unit screaming like a Pratt & Whitney turbojet (something to do with HEP needing higher revs) and walking past the first units as you noticed the twin white lights on top bouncing their light off the low CUS ceilings. The roar and the dark environs of CUS made for experience young and old would not forget.

The era that will end when the last Amfleet car is removed from service began six years before the first Amfleet car went into service. The Amfleet era began with the Penn Central Metroliner. In 1969, the Metroliner changed the perception of passenger rail in the northeast. Old, dirty and slow became new, shiny and fast. To use an overworked phrase, Metroliner was a game-changer for northeast passenger rail. I gladly paid the upcharge to ride “The Metro” to New York. I recall it was an extra 50 cents.

With Budd having built the Metroliners and still having the detailing and tooling for the design, Amtrak saw an opportunity to quickly upgrade its rattle-trap passenger fleet with a proven and available product. Thus was born the Amfleet car – a Metroliner car without the motors. Amtrak purchased the unpowered Metroliner cars with the aim of expanding Metroliner-type service to more trains in the northeast and to nonelectrified routes. Like the Metroliner before it, Amfleet was a game-changer for Amtrak. Finally the old Penn Central “roach coaches” could be replace with cars that looked like modern transportation. A modest order grew to a big order and finally to a huge order.

The term “work horse” certainly applies to Amfleet. The oldest Amfleet cars have been in service for 47 years. To put that in perspective, when Amtrak was formed in 1971 it inherited cars from the participant railroads. Few (if any) of those cars were even 30 years old. A 47-year-old car in 1971 would have been built in 1924.

Now in 2022, Amfleet is no longer the new shiny car on the rails. But, I don’t think it is a stretch to say that Amfleet has defined Amtrak for most of its existence. Amtrak got its money’s worth out of that purchase.

Ticket jacket from trip to New York on November 1, 1969. The "2300" is round trip for two Philadelphia to New York.
View attachment 27540
Great Post Bill! I too remember when the New Metroliners entered Service on the NEC, it's when I quit riding on the Eastern Shuttle between Washington and New York due to these Jewels replacing the Ratty PRR Cars you speak of! Good memories indeed!😊

Back