Will staff heat up my personal food on board?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while and I've learned a lot of info that I can use on my upcoming trip next month, from SBA to ALB via the surfliner, SWC and LSL. My question is, during the layover in LAX I plan to go to Philippe and get some sandwiches for the trip, for dinner that night and also for the next day. Will the staff in the lounge car reheat my food, or is that against policy? I would tip and obviously not do it if there was anyone buying something.

Oh, all right.

The long answer is No Way.

The microwave runs on electricity which is generated by the Head End Power diesel generator located in the locomotive. Every time the microwave operates, it draws addition load on the generator requiring the diesel engine to work harder, thus consuming more fuel.

So, the cost of diesel is factored into the price of all menu items that are microwaveable in the Cafe.

Despite all the passengers with their laptops plugged into the sidewalls, each sandwich consumes ALMOST an extra penny per minute of use. This is unacceptable for unauthorized usage.

Now, I hope that answers your question, and please please don't ask whether the crew hands out ice!

(Sorry - but when challenged.... Real responses below)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it has more to do with ServSafe and other, similar rules and regulations. Kitchens and the employees who work in them, even if it's "just" a snack counter, have to follow food prep guidelines. Outside food does not fit those guidelines, which is why Amtrak won't heat it up and many restaurants have signs that say "No Outside Food".

I believe it is a health code that prohibits this.
Yes, it is the health code and FDA regulations that prohibit it. The food or sandwich the attendant is asked to reheat could be contaminated and could contaminate the food for sale that is subsequently heated or cooked in the microwave.
In a related story, there is a report on trainorders that the EB #8(21) has been contaminated by an ill passenger and the cars will have to be cleaned by a contractor. The post states that they have not decided whether they have to sterilize the entire train set or just certain cars. The report does not say what the illness was, but TB or a nasty virus would be a good guess.

It's actually overprotectionism- microwaves are basically sterilizing- but it remains federal law over applied to Amtrak And the answer is simply no. Even mention it in all of their passenger timetables iirc.

I do not see how a sandwich from Philippe can last more than an hour outside the shop! If I had to carry one around, I'd be growling and foaming at it and have it eaten within the hour. And on the serious side, all that juice will make it go ultra-soggy in short order.

The farthest I have ever gotten one out of the shop is over to Traxx at Union Station :)

I do not see how a sandwich from Philippe can last more than an hour outside the shop! If I had to carry one around, I'd be growling and foaming at it and have it eaten within the hour. And on the serious side, all that juice will make it go ultra-soggy in short order.

The farthest I have ever gotten one out of the shop is over to Traxx at Union Station :)
They will give you the juice for dipping on the side if you want it to go! Like the old Fritos Commercial says, "Bet you can't eat just one!"☺
Several of us have gone over to Philippe to pick up orders for members that couldn't make the walk from Union Station and just HAD to have Breakfast or a Sandwich before returning with the orders! Dirty job but someone has to do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me, but I really wasn't impressed with their French Dip!!! It might have been the extra thin sliced beef ???

(Almost feel like a traitor!!! :eek: )

Maybe it's just me, but I really wasn't impressed with their French Dip!!! It might have been the extra thin sliced beef ???

(Almost feel like a traitor!!! :eek: )
Heresy! Get out the torches and the rope!

Try the Lamb, lots of us think its better than the Beef and the Breakfasts are really good even if coffee is now 45 cents instead of 9 cents like originally!

On a NON related subject... what are the circuit breakers rated for in the roomettes??

Bruce-SSR
Why not start another thread instead of going off on a tangent?

jb
Tangents are the lifeblood of this forum.

And back to the original topic, I think they will provide hot water if you have your own container. You can use that for tea or perhaps instant noodles.

You‘re a glutton! :p I've made it all the way to the courtyard seats! :D

Well, also, can you imagine? If they agreed to heat up one person's food, the next trip that train took? People would get on with all kinds of stuff they wanted heated up, and the only thing the lounge car attendant would be doing would be heating people's personal food for them.

Dude how the heck can you buy a beef Sandwhich where lamb is offered?

Their lamb French dip is AMAZING. It was worth walking there in the burning heat (90+) while I had a URI with a 102 fever on my cane and waiting on line for it. In fact, it is so good, I may consider going again even though that would mean being in LA again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back