worried about eating with others...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do they eat with themselves if they don't eat with sinners? Do they believe they are both perfect!?!? (I'd say being overly judgemental and leaving without paying a bill aka stealing are both sins).

Wow, My partner and I haven't come across this on our trips. I am sure we may have one someday.

About the worst experience I had eating with others was on a trip on the LSL. Me and my partner were in the dining car when the LSA sat a nice middle aged couple down with us. After some polite conversation, and as our food arrived, they asked us what we were doing in New York. Me and my partner replied that we got married, since it was one of the states that allowed Same Sex marriage. The couples mouths dropped to the table, and they immediately called over the LSA. When she asked what was wrong, the male of the couple replied "You have to move us to another table". When she asked why, the guy said "WE do not sit with sinners!!" The LSA looked at them and with a bizarre look on her face, she said "There are no more seats available, so you will have to sit here". The couple said that they will not eat with us, started to get up and leave. The LSA said to them, "Let me get your bill", and they refused to pay since they didn't get to finish their dinner, and left the car. The LSA just looked at us, shook her head, laughed and said to us "Well, they better not sit in coach. I am sure there are a few sinners back there!". We finished our dinner and started back to our room as the LSA was sending the conductor to get them and make them pay their bill.

Wow, My partner and I haven't come across this on our trips. I am sure we may have one someday.

About the worst experience I had eating with others was on a trip on the LSL. Me and my partner were in the dining car when the LSA sat a nice middle aged couple down with us. After some polite conversation, and as our food arrived, they asked us what we were doing in New York. Me and my partner replied that we got married, since it was one of the states that allowed Same Sex marriage. The couples mouths dropped to the table, and they immediately called over the LSA. When she asked what was wrong, the male of the couple replied "You have to move us to another table". When she asked why, the guy said "WE do not sit with sinners!!" The LSA looked at them and with a bizarre look on her face, she said "There are no more seats available, so you will have to sit here". The couple said that they will not eat with us, started to get up and leave. The LSA said to them, "Let me get your bill", and they refused to pay since they didn't get to finish their dinner, and left the car. The LSA just looked at us, shook her head, laughed and said to us "Well, they better not sit in coach. I am sure there are a few sinners back there!". We finished our dinner and started back to our room as the LSA was sending the conductor to get them and make them pay their bill.
:( Intolerance and Ignorance are the Real Enemies of Mankind! Didn't some Famous Person say something about he that's without Sin can cast the First Stone? Me, I agree with Billy Joel,".. I'd rather Laugh with the Sinners than Cry with the Saints, cause Sinners are Much More Fun!.." Must be lots of fun to Exist without a Mind! :help:

About the worst experience I had eating with others was on a trip on the LSL. Me and my partner were in the dining car when the LSA sat a nice middle aged couple down with us. After some polite conversation, and as our food arrived, they asked us what we were doing in New York. Me and my partner replied that we got married, since it was one of the states that allowed Same Sex marriage. The couples mouths dropped to the table, and they immediately called over the LSA. When she asked what was wrong, the male of the couple replied "You have to move us to another table". When she asked why, the guy said "WE do not sit with sinners!!" The LSA looked at them and with a bizarre look on her face, she said "There are no more seats available, so you will have to sit here".
I'm really sorry this happened to you. :( I would have been so excited to hear about your wedding. I love wedding stories and pictures.

At least you didn't have to spend dinner with them. ;) I hope the LSA and conductor were able to track them down.
I am with you, Sorcha! I would have enjoyed the conversation immensely. People who are judgmental miss so much. I have truly never had a tablemate that I was not willing to at least listen to and enjoy the brief time I spent with them. It is so interesting to see the wide variety of people we have in this world, and there is so much to learn from them! On the other hand, I've never had anyone that was openly rude to me either. If that were the case, I am sure I would have to make a choice: would I give them the "silent treatment" (no answers)? Or manage to deflect the conversation? If neither worked, I am sure I would be cheerfully rude right back at them (as I said earlier in this thread).

I do not care if someone is straight, gay, lesbian, white, black, brown, yellow, green or blue, we are all humans - and should be treated as humans! Heck, even AU members are humans! :giggle:

And I do agree with the above poster they the couple who left the table without paying for the check are now known as "sinners" too - I guess you must be one to know one!

I do not care if someone is straight, gay, lesbian, white, black, brown, yellow, green or blue, we are all humans - and should be treated as humans! Heck, even AU members are humans! :giggle:
And I do agree with the above poster they the couple who left the table without paying for the check are now known as "sinners" too - I guess you must be one to know one!
please don't discriminate aliens in Amtrak dining cars... they may simply want to see how humans interact with each other in such situations. :)

It takes all kinds! :wacko: Sorry, Reno, for your bad experience. As someone else quoted, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." The actions of your seatmates were sinful (never mind RUDE), imho. (And my judging them is probably sinful, too!)

To the OP-- I'm not especially outgoing with strangers, but we've never had a bad experience in the dining car. Some seatmates are better conversationalists than others, but the dining car experience is one of our favorite things about the train. It's nothing to worry about--I'm sure you'll be able to handle it when the time comes, and hopefully it will be a pleasant part of your trip.

When she asked why, the guy said "WE do not sit with sinners!!"
At the risk of getting all political/religious, the snappy comeback to those holier than thou folks is "Christ Did". And no, I'm not saying you're sinners.

I'm a bit shy myself, but meeting new people in the diner is one of the highlights of a trip. And I've never met anybody so offensive/opinionated/obnoxious as to come close to ruining a meal.

Same here to everything. I'm not religious (about as far from it as possible), but I agree we are all sinners of some sort. I keep hearing that there is only 1 person who did not sin, and I bet there is a 99.999999999999999999999999999999% chance that it was not one half of that couple! (And if it was, what was that person - using their own words - associating with a sinner - the other half of the couple? :blush: )

One of the most enjoyable things I like about train travel is talking with other travelers - whether in the Dining Car, Lounge, in Coach or even in the aisle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know Reno, that really is too bad. There are many bigoted zealots out there still and plenty hateful. I hope they went hungry. I suspect in the next 5 years, this will become less and less of an issue. It will take more states to approve marriage equality to turn the tide. It is amazing to me how open and accepted same sex marriage has become in such a short time. But we are still a long way off still. Preachers when they have nothing to yell about bring sex topics like this up and they still bring up how terrible gay marriage is. It is beyond me why churches are so interested in who we sleep with and marry. It is a popular topic these days. Don't know if your still a Newly Wed, Reno, but, Best wishes to you and your partner! Remember Reno, It will get better!

Thank you for all the reports. I feel much better prepared now.

The abuse directed at me by some posters is also useful...I assume that if I meet them on the train, they will be abusive in person as well, and now I am forewarned.

The abuse directed at me by some posters is also useful...I assume that if I meet them on the train, they will be abusive in person as well, and now I am forewarned.
I won't be abusive but I bet just because of my size you would not want to sit with me and yet, I'm a cross between Rodney Dangerfield and Jonathan Winters and can be very entertaining to be around. It's a shame it doesn't always come across that way in posts.....................

By the way, have the chicken dinner and let me know if it's the next best thing to......say....McNuggets :eek:

Posts -- are sometimes helpful, sometimes not. Sometimes more over the top than what you will ever have to deal with in person on Amtrak. I've done both sides - sometimes I've been an A**ole posting here when I misinterpreted (or correctly interpreted a question as being inflammatory).

Online I could be a jackass sometimes. But online comment is not what you will meet on the train.

Most online comment here is useful. and rarely abrasive - but worth considering. Most contributors here are honestly trying to help. And mostly do a good job of it.

On the train -- not much worry. In my experience fellow passengers don't want to offend me any more than I want to offend them.

Almost always - there will be minimal problems

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! :) I knew where you were coming from with your concerns. Sometimes, loud, boorish strangers out in the world can color our perception of humans in general, so it can cause a bit of, "Who am I going to get," when seated in the diner. That, and my boyfriend is a misanthrope, so he basically assumes everyone is a jerk until he gets to know them and they prove otherwise. ;) I'm more neutral, leaning toward optimistic. I go in with zero expectations and try to make the best of every situation.

I know I talked about the couple who pressured us to get married, have babies, etc, but nine times out of ten, I've been perfectly happy with my tablemates. I'm still very shy, which makes it nerve-wracking, but they were perfectly nice people. Hopefully, the same will be true for you, but if you simply don't care to eat in the diner, you can ask about the "to-go" option. Just be sure to tip whomever serves you, whether it's the LSA handing you a bag (sometimes you can pick it up in the diner) or your SCA bringing it to your room.

moogoo: Best wishes for a pleasant trip!

Yes, a few contributors here can be a little rough on newcomers--and others--at times. They know a lot about train travel, though.

I imagine weird people, disagreeable people, obsessive talkers, foamers, spitters, birthers...to say nothing of the waitstaff.
Hey - I resemble that remark!

Seriously, I would hate for anyone here to 'guilt' you into changing your mind. We're all happy to share our experiences and perhaps you may still choose not to change your mind and that is perfectly fine.

Folk in the roomette across from me on my way to NYP from SAV this past weekend were 100% hermits. It was a relatively young couple who stayed in their room almost 100% of the time and kept their curtains drawn and door locked. The sleeping car attendant was quite happy to bring the meals to them. Meanwhile, I quite enjoyed my experience in the diner even though they DID run out of dessert! Both dinner and breakfast were completely enjoyable.

Even in coach, you are welcome to go to the diner to get a meal to take back to your seat.

So, to answer your original post, you may either get your meals or have them brought to you. And keep in mind that this isn't something most people in the diner do in their daily life, either. Except for maybe the_traveller....

In all my travels I have only been with one guy who was a total jerk. Sneered at me when I tried the "so where are you traveling to". So he stared out the window and I ate breakfast staring at him (to be a turd) and left the diner. That is the only time I had a bad situation in the dining car. The most memorable was just this Januarary. My wife and I were eating breakfast and a gentleman from NYC asked us "where are you from" and we said, "Lincoln Nebraska" and the guy just "oohhed and awwwhhed" about his time in Lincoln the preceeding spring. He was a NYC playwrite and he had been at a theater symposium in Lincoln. Funny thing...so was our college aged daughter and he remembered her and she about died when we texted her and told her, "we are having breakfast with J--- J-----!" Talk about a small world! Then it came to our attention that his daughter (12 years old) was so disapointed that on the way out to the west coast he had left his batteries for his camera in NYC and had no pictures of the CZ #5. So we exchanged emails and we sent him a disk with all of our pics from our #5 trip and the daughter was so thankful!

In all my travels I have only been with one guy who was a total jerk.
I was that bad? :blush: :giggle:

Really, I agree with what you said. You never know who you will meet. On one cross country trip, I was on 2 train for 3 nights (and even had 3 meals) with another AU member who I never met before - prior to knowing that he was another AU member!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back