Zephyr attacked by irrigation system!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linda T

We were coming in on the EB Train 6 when our car attendent announced that yesterday's EB was involved in a freak accident. The two engineers sustained cuts from their broken windshield, but no one was seriously injured. We were fortunate in that a couple who were actually on that train were on ours (the next day) and had lunch with us. We got all the gossip. Here's the story...

The EBCZ was apparently in the vicinity of Omaha when an irrigation system managed to break loose and traverse over a ditch and through some hedges and get up on the track. The Z struck the irrigation system and the engine apparently was pretty seriously damaged, and the windshield was shattered. As I said, the engineers sustained cuts from the broken glass and were transported to the hospital. BNSF wanted the train off the track so they sent an engine and hitched it up to the cars and pulled the CZ to an area where the passengers were then taken off the train and bused (IIRC to Omaha), where Amtrak put them up for the night.

The couple told us that they also saw the farmer arrive on site and apparently there were a lot of angry passengers, but their conductor announced afterwards that the farmer has good insurance. :help:

At least the CZ got washed!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The system is what is called a "center pivot". Basically, it a 1/4 mile long pipe and truss that rotates around a pivot point and waters the crops. The result is 1/2 mile circles of irrigated land. Those circles make for interesting land patterns that are easily seen from flights over the midwest.

The operation of these systems is controlled by a computer. One of the things the computer does is limit the sweep of the system if there is an obstruction - like, for example, a railroad. In this case, the system went bonkers, and the pivot just kept on rotating until it was on the BNSF tracks. Naturally, the next train coming by wasn't some drag freight, or a unit coal train: it was the Zephyr. The result was a pretty banged-up P42, and a train that was already nearly four hours late becoming over ten hours late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that after that, Amtrak can't possibly have any more go wrong. But then, again, possibly they can.

Godzilla attacks the LSL? Coast Starlight disappears in an earthquake? NEC Regional gets into a race with an Acela and wins? Southwest Chief mysteriously ends up in Roswell?

This has to be Amtrak's worst year for delays and odd occurrences, but attacked by an irrigation machine? That's just weird. Like something out of sci-fi.

I find it strange with all the traffic that has caused delays lately that another train thru that area didn't notice that system nearing the track. They don't move that fast, a foot or two a hour. Been around a lot of them and you can't tell they are moving.

Good to hear no major injurys and the crew in the engine was able to at least get low enough to not get hit by the pipes

With all the flooding in that area wonder why did the farmer needed to irrigate?
The Missouri river is flooding due to rain/snow melt way upstream. The cropland in the area where the pivot was is a far stretch from the Missouri river. Corn takes at least 1" water per week to achieve a decent yield.

I'd like to hear the voice recorder from that engine. :giggle:
That without a doubt would be interesting. Wonder how far they were from it when first spotted and how fast they were going.
It probably would sound something like this:

Mayday! Mayday! We are under attack by some kind of alien machine. Call the National Guard, Army and Air Force! There may be more of these alien machines nearby!
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

I'd like to hear the voice recorder from that engine. :giggle:
That without a doubt would be interesting. Wonder how far they were from it when first spotted and how fast they were going.
It probably would sound something like this:

Mayday! Mayday! We are under attack by some kind of alien machine. Call the National Guard, Army and Air Force! There may be more of these alien machines nearby!
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

Well they do make crop circles..... :blink:

Its been very, very hot here lately and we have been drastically short on precipitation since early July. When I heard about the center pivot I just shook my head in disbelief. I mean..how more screwed up can things get this summer. I used to construct center pivots the summer of 1981 and yes...they can have a mind of their own! :unsure:

Its been very, very hot here lately and we have been drastically short on precipitation since early July. When I heard about the center pivot I just shook my head in disbelief. I mean..how more screwed up can things get this summer. I used to construct center pivots the summer of 1981 and yes...they can have a mind of their own! :unsure:
That is one farmer who will a big bill to pay. I can't imagine even superficial damage to a locomotive being cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back