Zephyr best seats and best side chicago to SF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lac

We are coming from the UK to take again a trip we did in 1977! Or first leg is Chicago to SLC and we just have coach seats. It says reserved but there are no seat numbers, so what happens? Do we need to arrive really early and check our bags and queue up or are we just allocated seats on boarding, is there any logic to that, any advantage in being on first, I.e do we get any choice? If we do get a choice which seats do people recommend and which side of the coach might be best? Can't remember that far back! Except that it was a great trip and so much better than flying. Thanks

Some crews assign seats when you board the train and others allow you to sit wherever you wish. Thus it depends on the crew and/or how crowded the train is that day.

However, the best seats for sightseeing is ..................... in the Sightseer Lounge car - especially west of Denver! You can easily see out of both sides of the car!

As for me, the best side of the train is .............. the inside! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
We are coming from the UK to take again a trip we did in 1977! Or first leg is Chicago to SLC and we just have coach seats. It says reserved but there are no seat numbers, so what happens? Do we need to arrive really early and check our bags and queue up or are we just allocated seats on boarding, is there any logic to that, any advantage in being on first, I.e do we get any choice? If we do get a choice which seats do people recommend and which side of the coach might be best? Can't remember that far back! Except that it was a great trip and so much better than flying. Thanks
In that case you are in for a real treat. We've upgraded the speed, increased the schedule, replaced the cars, updated the seats, refined the compartments, improved the food, freshened the drinks, and expanded the network. Or rather we kept everything almost exactly as you remember it from four decades ago. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just completed the CZ from CHI to EMY and on our train, the attendant at the coach door gave me a seat ticket with my location, but said to pick my own seat, but told me which car to go to, left or right. I sat on the right side of the car and would rather have been on the left, the sights out the window in coach are much better on the left side, in my opinion. As the_traveler said, make sure you get a sightseeing lounge seat when you are in Denver for the duration of the trip. The sights are beyond explanation of beauty.

Enjoy your trip. I loved coach and enjoyed being able to sit in my seat and not having to go to the observation car and seeing out both sides of the train, unlike in a sleeper where you have to hope your across the hall neighbor has their curtains open. I do not like the crowd in the observation car the whole trip, sometimes I want less noise and in a sleeper you are limited to one side of the car.

When I rode the Empire Builder recently, the seats in the forward half of the car were set aside for parties of two or more, and the seats in the rear open for singles. It is a good idea to be near the head of the queue. Both sides of the train have plenty of scenery, but I would try for the north side of the train. You will be on the shady side of the train and will get the best vista's climbing out of Denver. LWB

As in another recent thread, I'm agreeing again with The Traveler, that the SSL (Sightseer Lounge) is the best place to sit coming West out of Denver. You can see both sides of the train very well. That said, a lot of people feel that way and so that car can get very crowded. Still, I have always managed to find a seat someplace when I wanted to be there. The trick is to not feel it is necessary to stay in one seat for several hours - get up and move around so others can have a turn too.

Thanks everyone. We are really looking forward to this. We have some great little train journeys in the UK too, including some steam, if we can tempt you across the pond.I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back