Zephyr Delay and Connecting Services

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner

Train Attendant
I will be on the Zephyr very soon! Very excited to take Amtrak, as I haven't been on the train since the late 90s. I will be connecting to the Capitol in Chicago. The CZ has been (on average) arriving into Chicago very close to the departure time of the CL. Here is my question. How late does the Zephyr have to be, before it's determined to bus passengers vs. holding the connecting train? Does the Conductor make this call? For example, today's #6 (25) is close to 5 hours down. Arrival time into Chicago would be approximately 8pm. I assume at this point, if there are passengers connecting to CL, they would be bussed vs. holding the train? Past experiences? Thanks.

Depending on the passenger's final destination, they may be accommodated on the Lake Shore Limited, the next day's Capitol Limited (with hotel accommodations provided in Chicago), or, sometimes, a bus.

Since the LSL follows the same route as the Capitol Limited to Cleveland, that is more likely of a backup than a bus. Anything beyond Cleveland is probably too far to bus passengers anyway, so you'd probably be put up in a hotel and sent on the next day's train.

If the Zephyr arrives close to #30's departure time, it is possible they may hold for connections. That call is made by personnel at the station in Chicago, not by the conductor of either train.

I was bustituted toToledo from Galesburg, once! But I cant remember the details except we were around 3-4 hours late!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be on the Zephyr very soon! Very excited to take Amtrak, as I haven't been on the train since the late 90s. I will be connecting to the Capitol in Chicago. The CZ has been (on average) arriving into Chicago very close to the departure time of the CL. Here is my question. How late does the Zephyr have to be, before it's determined to bus passengers vs. holding the connecting train? Does the Conductor make this call? For example, today's #6 (25) is close to 5 hours down. Arrival time into Chicago would be approximately 8pm. I assume at this point, if there are passengers connecting to CL, they would be bussed vs. holding the train? Past experiences? Thanks.
Say, you wouldn't be boarding from California on Friday 30th, would you? I will, with my wife, and connecting to the CL thru to WAS and beyond.

I rode the CZ twice in June and July and both times when arriving at Galesburg passengers were told to detrain and wait for the bus because they would miss the Cardinal, don't know about the CL. I was traveling eastbound on the SWC to connect in Galesburg for the westbound CZ. In fact when I asked the agents in KCY what would happen if I didn't make connections (you have almost 5 hours but the train was already 3 hours late) they said they guessed you would be taken on into CHI or perhaps stay in GBB and be put up in a hotel and back west again the next day to which I replied, "and if there are no sleepers?". "Well you would go on coach and get your sleeper fare back", which I didn't consider much of an answer or an option. The rules say you can bail if you train is over 2 hours late at departure point, but with me I'm just "out there" alone and have very few options. Guess I could use my lifetime Greyhound Pass!

Thanks for your replies so far! I guess I will have to pray the CZ isn't more than 3 hours behind schedule! I'd like to make this trip without a bus/hotel.

Say, you wouldn't be boarding from California on Friday 30th, would you? I will, with my wife, and connecting to the CL thru to WAS and beyond.
I am boarding the CZ in Iowa about a week later. Good luck with your connection and enjoy your trip!

I rode the CZ twice in June and July and both times when arriving at Galesburg passengers were told to detrain and wait for the bus because they would miss the Cardinal, don't know about the CL.
Do you recall how late the CZ was?

I will be boarding the Zephyr the 30th as it passes through Iowa, providing that the rains don't mess things up again. At least I have two days of cushion to play with.

Thanks for your replies so far! I guess I will have to pray the CZ isn't more than 3 hours behind schedule! I'd like to make this trip without a bus/hotel.

I am boarding the CZ in Iowa about a week later. Good luck with your connection and enjoy your trip!

I rode the CZ twice in June and July and both times when arriving at Galesburg passengers were told to detrain and wait for the bus because they would miss the Cardinal, don't know about the CL.
Do you recall how late the CZ was?
The CZ was on time going west. Coming back east both times however the CZ was over 3 hours late and people were bussed to Indianapolis via Trailways to catch the Cardinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back