16 year old traveling alone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambbam

Hello,

This is my first time traveling with amtrak and would apprciate any advice you have to offer.

I am going to visit my sister at cal poly slo from the 27th of decemeber to the 2nd of january

She will be driving me to the college and I will then in turn take the Amtrak back to my hometown Sacramento.

I haven't booked my ticket but I know I want to take the Coast Starlight from 3:43 pm to 11:59 pm

I think this would be the easiest because there are no connecting stops

So here is a list of questions I have

1. Will the train be more crowded then usually because its the day after New Years?

2. Should I get a superliner room?

3. If so is there one room better then the other?

4. Should I be upstairs or downstairs?

5. Is there any place to meet other teens?

6. If I do get a sleeper will dinner be the only meal I am provided?

7. How worried should I be about theft?

8. Do I keep my luggage in the room or put it somewhere else?

9. To make my reservation is it better to call or book online?

10. Tips on how to get the best rate?

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks!

To get the best rate book early prices go up as seats and room sell out. there is no benefit to calling or booking online unless your booking a sleeper and want a certain room number and want to make sure your upstairs or down also If you want to pick tickets up at a different station instead of having them mailed if you can't pick up at the departing station. In sleeper while you are entitled to 3 meals a day since you are only on the train for earlier afternoon to late night you might get lunch and dinner and its included in your sleeper fair. all rooms are good but some don't like one room in particular i forgot which.Theft is rare but it does happen. don't let valuables out of your sight. If in a room keep em out of sight when not in the room as the doors do not lock from the outside. you can keep luggage in your room if you have room otherwise there are luggage racks in the sleeper. In coach they are overhead above your seat.

1. Will the train be more crowded then usually because its the day after New Years?
It might be more crowded than on a typical day in mid-January, but right after New Years isn't necessarily peak season.

2. Should I get a superliner room?
That depends on your budget, really. A roomette provides more privacy. It also provides access to the Pacific Parlour car, which is a nicer lounge car than the typical Sightseer Lounge.

3. If so is there one room better then the other?
Not really. They're all pretty much the same. No way to know, in advance, which direction a particular room will face (east or west), as the cars are bidirectional. Again, though, if you want to view the scenery, your best bet is head over to the Pacific Parlour or Sightseer Lounge.

4. Should I be upstairs or downstairs?
Upstairs will provide you with a better view. Downstairs will have fewer people walking past. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

5. Is there any place to meet other teens?
There isn't really a designated place to do so. However, you can always see who's sitting in the Sightseer Lounge.

6. If I do get a sleeper will dinner be the only meal I am provided?
Yes, unless your train is catastrophically late and you wind up getting to Sacramento after 6 am. However, that's pretty unlikely, so, plan on dinner being your only meal.

7. How worried should I be about theft?
You can worry as much or as little as you want. While trains are generally pretty secure, they are not guarded. Any place that you have access to, your fellow passengers will have access to. It's like being in any other public place. Don't leave valuables visible. Try to limit the amount of high-value stuff you bring with you. Luggage locks may be a worth investment, as well. If traveling in a sleeper, keep any valuables in your room, or on your person. If you leave them in your room, close the curtain and the door when you leave so people walking by can't tell what (or who) is inside.

Odds of theft are low, but not zero.

8. Do I keep my luggage in the room or put it somewhere else?
You can put small luggage in your room. Larger suitcases will go on a luggage rack on the lower level. You can also check any heavier items (within the 50-pound limit) in San Luis Obispo and pick them up in Sacramento.

9. To make my reservation is it better to call or book online?
Depends on your preference. Booking online is pretty straightforward. You can also call and make the reservation. You'll get the same price. If you call, you can hold your reservation for up to a week before you pay for it (you have to call back to pay for it, or pay at a staffed station, though, you can't reserve over the phone and pay online). This might be useful if, for example, you're getting paid next week but want to reserve your space today. Otherwise, just pay for it when you book.

However, don't pick up your ticket right away. As long as your reservation is not ticketed, you can cancel or change without penalty (until seven days prior to travel if you have a sleeper accommodation). If your travel plans change, you'll be better off not picking up your tickets. Once your ticket is printed, there will be a 10% penalty applied to any refunds, but the full value of your ticket can be applied to another reservation (again, though, with sleeping car accommodations, you must do so no later than seven days prior to travel to preserve the value of your accommodation fare).

Since San Luis Obispo is a staffed station, you can pick up your tickets on the day of travel (or, you can pick up your tickets at any time before then from any staffed station).

10. Tips on how to get the best rate?
Book early, and check back regularly to see if the fare may have decreased since you booked. If the fare does go down (and you haven't printed your tickets yet), you can call or make the change online. I don't have experience with changing reservations online (that's a new feature that I haven't had an occasion to use), but one way to take advantage of a lower fare is to book the new ticket, then cancel the old one. Your credit card will be charged for the new ticket, but it will be credited in a few days for the refund of the old one. Always book the new ticket first before canceling the old one, just to protect yourself in case someone else happens to snatch the rooms while you're in the middle of the transaction.

One last tip. If you do book a sleeper, take the ticket with you when you venture out. This way you could always show that you are in the sleeping car if challenged. The sleepers are small so just bring an overnight bag on the train with you; underwear, socks, any medications,and your personal items etc. If you have a laptop or iPad hide it in your room/roomette before leaving the sleeper. Pull down the upper bunk and stash it in there or take it with you. The sleepers are normally safe from theft but there is always a small possibility of it happening.

About "meeting other teens" keep in mind that you will typically be seated with strangers in the dining car. This for logistical reasons. Maybe some of them will be teens.

Incidentally meeting total strangers (of whatever age) in the diner is often fun, rarely anything to regret.

Even if the train is very late, the only meal you would get is dinner. The wine tasting is done between lunch and dinner - and that is usually around SLO!

The CS does have an arcade car on the lower level of one coach. (It is the only train that does.) But as mentioned, you will probably meet others in the Sightseer Lounge or in the Dining Car. And even if you don't,"old" people are fun to talk with also!
biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention the Arcade Car in my first post. I only walked inside it once when the Starlight was stopped in Portland, never seen it in action (if it sees any action). It's a good place to go if you want to see video games that are older than you are.

Kids these days probably don't even know what an arcade is.

The wine tasting is done between lunch and dinner - and that is usually around SLO!
Not likely that a 16-year-old will be participating in a wine tasting.

On previous trips on the Starlight I've ventured out to the Arcade car only twice, just because I was bored...lol. It was fun playing PacMan and Cruisin'USA down there when the train is rolling through Oregon or Central CA after lunch or the ocean part is past :) . Maybe different CS trains have different arcade games on the car....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back