1st time travelers. Family of 5

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you guys are well ready for this trip!

As Beckybarn said, have the kids write something, and they can look back at ti when they get older, and have a trip of a life time with you and your wife!

Take some photos to share!

Thank you again for replies.

Well looks like we'll eat in the diner car then. We are not very keen on the idea of sitting separately though and with other people. We're not really the people person type, but we're not unfriendly either.

We do plan on wandering around the train.

We'll have the kids write a report for each trip. That was/is a good idea. I do plan on taking TONS of pictures of EVERYTHING.

I was reading about where the Customs/Police/FBI/Security do security searches, those are only during the day right? We wouldn't be woken up at night for one would we?

Well I just hope the train is on time I guess.

On the Texas Eagle Wiki site, it has the cars of the train and I'm guessing the order they are in.

Well I guess that's what I want to know if the Train cars do go in this order? Or is it random usually?

* 1 P42,

* 1 dorm-sleeper,

* 1 sleeper,

* 1 Cross Country Cafe (limited dining service),

* 1 Sightseer Lounge,

* 1 coach-baggage, and

* 2 coaches.

Only reason I was asking is because I was wondering why they would put the Sleepers closer to the Engine? Wouldn't that be super loud when the engine horn blows, and the horn still has to blow at night right?

Well thank you again all, much appreciated.

I just wanted to add this has been a fun thread to follow. I feel like I am traveling vicariously through you LOL.

Thank you again for replies.Well looks like we'll eat in the diner car then. We are not very keen on the idea of sitting separately though and with other people. We're not really the people person type, but we're not unfriendly either.

We do plan on wandering around the train.

We'll have the kids write a report for each trip. That was/is a good idea. I do plan on taking TONS of pictures of EVERYTHING.

I was reading about where the Customs/Police/FBI/Security do security searches, those are only during the day right? We wouldn't be woken up at night for one would we?

Well I just hope the train is on time I guess.

On the Texas Eagle Wiki site, it has the cars of the train and I'm guessing the order they are in.

Well I guess that's what I want to know if the Train cars do go in this order? Or is it random usually?

* 1 P42,

* 1 dorm-sleeper,

* 1 sleeper,

* 1 Cross Country Cafe (limited dining service),

* 1 Sightseer Lounge,

* 1 coach-baggage, and

* 2 coaches.

Only reason I was asking is because I was wondering why they would put the Sleepers closer to the Engine? Wouldn't that be super loud when the engine horn blows, and the horn still has to blow at night right?

Well thank you again all, much appreciated.
What? Like the pax in coach never sleep or what?!?!

j/k :)

I have no answer for the reasoning behind the positioning of the cars. But I can tell you that with my 'extensive' experience riding Amtrak LD trains (my first and only trip so far was last summer on the CZ :p ) the horns are definitely audible but not "super loud". Ear plugs may help those who sleep light. I used them on my second night after a pretty restless first night (perhaps due as much or even more to the 'newness' of my environment and the sometimes harsh movements of the train) and I slept like a baby. :)

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is that after that 2-day trip on the train I still had a feeling of 'motion' for another day or two. I'd be standing still at my sister's house and yet feel like things were moving around me. I've had the same experience after being on a boat all day...

Normally, the sleepers are on one side of the diner and coach is on the other side of the diner. That way, the dining car staff can know who came from which, and also question people who they think are from coach entering the sleepers. (Coach passengers can not go into the sleepers.)

Also, the reason most times sleepers are in front is that if there is a baggage car (and that car is single level), they usually use a transitional car (trans-dorm) to go from the Superliners (which only has an upper level passageway) to the baggage car (which only has a lower level passageway). Otherwise, the Conductor could not enter the baggage car when the train is moving. And the trans-dorm is the crew car, and is a sleeper. (Some rooms may also be sold to passengers at times.)

Normally, the sleepers are on one side of the diner and coach is on the other side of the diner. That way, the dining car staff can know who came from which, and also question people who they think are from coach entering the sleepers. (Coach passengers can not go into the sleepers.)

Also, the reason most times sleepers are in front is that if there is a baggage car (and that car is single level), they usually use a transitional car (trans-dorm) to go from the Superliners (which only has an upper level passageway) to the baggage car (which only has a lower level passageway). Otherwise, the Conductor could not enter the baggage car when the train is moving. And the trans-dorm is the crew car, and is a sleeper. (Some rooms may also be sold to passengers at times.)
^^^ Yeah... ^^^

What he said. :D

umm...could it be you are over-thinking things here? The train horn being too loud? Meeting strangers in the dining car? Why don't you just make the neccessary plans (tickets, duct tape, etc), and then just get on board and enjoy the trip?!?! I think you might be sabotaging (sp?) your trip by "detail worry".

The train horn is not that bad to me. It actually is not as loud as you would think. It's certainly not as loud as hearing from the outside of a train. If you are really concerned, bring some earplugs, but I would not use them right away. Give yourself some time to go to sleep without them. You might find you are more excited about the ride more than anything else. The rhythm of the train is very soothing, and tends to help people sleep. I find that after I get to sleep on the train, if it stops I wake up.

I can tell you're going through the last minute details, worrying just a bit too much. Just try to relax, make sure you have the important stuff packed & get ready for nice time!

Yeah I am over thinking things, that's just what I do. lol

But I'll try not to worry about it.

Is there a place I can go to get a map of the train tracks and route so family and I could follow? I've seen the basic route maps, but was wondering if they had anything more detailed?

Thank you

I took a "short" (~3 hour) trip, and because the rhythm of the train is so relaxing, I almost fell asleep! And this was mid afternoon! ;)
A three hour tour, er trip, did you meet Gilligan, or Mary Ann, Professor to. :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:
No, but I carried coconuts just in case, and invited the Harlem Globetrotters to visit! :lol: And I did travel within a few feet of the ocean - or at least Long Island Sound! :D

Hey, I'm a Globetrotter too - or at least an Amtrotter! :p

Is there a place I can go to get a map of the train tracks and route so family and I could follow? I've seen the basic route maps, but was wondering if they had anything more detailed?
Some of the state highway maps show the railroad tracks too. Then just follow the tracks that go between 2 stations. The individual route guides also show basically the route map and what is of interest along the way too! They can be found online, but there should also be one in your room on the train! (If not, ask your SCA for one.)

The train horn is not that bad to me. It actually is not as loud as you would think. It's certainly not as loud as hearing from the outside of a train. If you are really concerned, bring some earplugs, but I would not use them right away. Give yourself some time to go to sleep without them. You might find you are more excited about the ride more than anything else. The rhythm of the train is very soothing, and tends to help people sleep. I find that after I get to sleep on the train, if it stops I wake up. I can tell you're going through the last minute details, worrying just a bit too much. Just try to relax, make sure you have the important stuff packed & get ready for nice time!
Ditto!!!!

RF :)

Yeah I am over thinking things, that's just what I do. lolBut I'll try not to worry about it.

Thank you
The inside cover of the Time Table Map & maybe an Atlas works for me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/286...57607362066481/

RF

I really wish you & yours a fantastic experience, ALL ABOARD!!!

Yeah I am over thinking things, that's just what I do. lolBut I'll try not to worry about it.

Thank you
You could look at this one online too.

It's kind of cool because it's interactive.

Ahhh thank you much. That's a nice website sun, and some nice pictures RF.

I'll see if I can find an atlas at the bookstore that shows the railroad.

I would like it to be as detailed as possible.

Otherwise I could do it the long way and use google earth (or something similar) and MS paint.

I think we are more excited about riding the train than going down to Texas. Actually I know we are.

Thank you again all

Quick Question. Last minute question actually.

Is it generally safe to leave vehicles at most Amtrak Stations?

Saw a thread about someone wanting to leave their vehicle in Galsburg, IL and they got some replies saying it's ok.

That's basically my question. Would it be safe to leave a vehicle at Springfield, IL Amtrak station for 2 weeks and do they allow that?

Looking at it from Google Earth they seem to have ample parking, just wasn't sure if it's actually allowed and monitored.

Thank you all for all the help and advice.

I'm not sure about the long term parking. I know the pick up / drop off parking can be very crowded. I think you need to call the station & ask.
Yeah I've tried a few times already, but nobody answers.

I'll try back again tomorrow. We just don't have the money to rent a car

to get down there, so I was hoping they would have space.

On their site it says free parking with a permit from Station Attendant, but yeah I wasn't sure if there would be space.

I wasn't sure if this is part of the off season for Amtrak (if there's such a thing) and there'd be room.

**Crosses Fingers**

Lets hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about the long term parking. I know the pick up / drop off parking can be very crowded. I think you need to call the station & ask.
Yeah I've tried a few times already, but nobody answers.

I'll try back again tomorrow. We just don't have the money to rent a car

to get down there, so I was hoping they would have space.

On their site it says free parking with a permit from Station Attendant, but yeah I wasn't sure if there would be space.

I wasn't sure if this is part of the off season for Amtrak (if there's such a thing) and there'd be room.

**Crosses Fingers**

Lets hope.
Is it too far for someone to drop you guys off? We either have someone drop us or we take a cab, but it's not too far for us.

Well it's a 3 hour drive, so we don't want to burden anyone with a 6 hour/ride drive.

Well it's a 3 hour drive, so we don't want to burden anyone with a 6 hour/ride drive.
Agreed. I wasn't sure how far you were from the station. Keep trying to get someone at the station in the morning.

It sounds like you can, but it never hurts to call.

If you really want to get into local history in exquisite detail, get as many WPA state guidebooks as you can for the states you'll be passing through-

http://www.mydfz.com/wpa/wpa.htm

is the first link I found. As mentioned before, a state highway map will help you locate yourself, or in this 21st Century, GPS will tell you where you are. Or break out the binoculars to read the water towers.

There are also some railfan produced route guides that go into a lot of detail- there is one for the California Zephyr that was on sale at the Grand Junction depot. The more stuff you look at, the more fun you have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back