49 Lake Shore Limited Horrible Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
left New York on the LSL 49(6/7) in roomette 7 car 4912 kenny something was attendant couldnt get his name because i only saw him as i walked on and when he was outside in albany no bed turn down service, no body came for dinner reservations nothing what so ever. planning to call amtrak tomorrow, just wandering if any body knew his last name or had any luck with complaining to amtrak. took the LSL then SWC to LAX and back service horrible on 49 and 4 so far 3 was outstanding SCA's name was Alex Morejon he was great best ive had yet.

SWC,LSL,SSL,CRESENT,SS,SM,NER,KEYSTONE,CAROLINIAN,EMPIRE SERVICE,COAST STARLIGHT, SURFLINER, ACES, ACELA,

yeah haha bouncing around in trrain now to impatient to do it the right way hahah i figured it would get the point across

left New York on the LSL 49(6/7) in roomette 7 car 4912 kenny something was attendant couldnt get his name because i only saw him as i walked on and when he was outside in albany no bed turn down service, no body came for dinner reservations nothing what so ever. planning to call amtrak tomorrow, just wandering if any body knew his last name or had any luck with complaining to amtrak. took the LSL then SWC to LAX and back service horrible on 49 and 4 so far 3 was outstanding SCA's name was Alex Morejon he was great best ive had yet.

SWC,LSL,SSL,CRESENT,SS,SM,NER,KEYSTONE,CAROLINIAN,EMPIRE SERVICE,COAST STARLIGHT, SURFLINER, ACES, ACELA,
I work in IT and we've got a saying: if you don't report it we don't know it's broken. I've never experienced the phenomenon of the vanishing attendant (I know others have), but if I had that experience I would definitely call customer service, although contacting Amtrak (like any organization) can be a mixed bag. I find the phone is more effective than either a physical letter or an email (emails are worthless). I think I've had four or five different SCAs on the Lake Shore and I can't remember any of their names. All were at least average; the two I had on my last trip back to the Midwest were above average. Given your car number and date of departure Amtrak can work it out from there if it feels like it.

Glad to hear the you had a good SCA on the Chief.

I've only had one "bad" SCA, and that was down to being forgotten in the Transdorm. Still, I do know that it happens...and I'm sorry to hear about your experience with it.

I'm on the Lake Shore Limited (#49 & #48) several times per year.

I usually try to get the 12 car as I know SCA Tom is an outstanding SCA.

Never had a bad trip. Sharon is usually the SCA in the 11 car and has

cookies in her roomette!! Sorry you had a bad experience and I urge you

to write Amtrak Customer Service with your experience.

I would have to say that my absolute worst employee experience was also on the Lake Shore limited, but this was a coach attendant who was happy to treat us all as something the cat dragged in, rather than as fare paying customers.

Ed :cool:

Was Kenny an older black gentleman?

You don't need his last name. Just call with the info you have. Your car/room number and the attendant's first name would be more than enough to identify the employee in question.

I've become quite relaxed in my travels that I no longer even notice if my SCA is good or bad anymore. Whenever I can't find the SCA, I just make the bed myself and it doesn't bother me. However, I do like them to put it up in the mornings though. That's the hard part. I'm about to embark on a two week trip, and I'll be reporting back about my SCA's.

Provide your car and room number as suggested. They'll be able to figure out which "Kenny" it was.

Additionally, you could let them know about Alex, the CA you liked. As a customer service employee, it's always nice to hear happy/positive customer feedback either to my face or via my supervisor. It can turn a bad day into a good one, just hearing that "thank you for good service". The little things really do count. :)

When calling Amtrak, press "0" when you get to Julie then ask for Customer Service when you get a person.

peter

I've become quite relaxed in my travels that I no longer even notice if my SCA is good or bad anymore. Whenever I can't find the SCA, I just make the bed myself and it doesn't bother me. However, I do like them to put it up in the mornings though. That's the hard part. I'm about to embark on a two week trip, and I'll be reporting back about my SCA's.
Similarly, I just ask the SCA to drop me some bed linens while I'm at dinner on the AT so I can make the bed exactly when I'm ready to sleep (which is, often, after the SCA is"off duty"). I return the linens to the SCA the next morning.

I always had good experiences on the Broadway Ltd. and LSL. The only really bad experience with a TA/SA I ever had was on the Acela Exp.

Last edited by a moderator:
shame the trip started out with bad service, the westbound SWC the entire crew was perfect espically the SCA Alex from the extra board the east bound SWC #4 was not much better than 49 SCA was Joe Washington (0431 #8) saw him twice no bed service or anything and dinning car staff was far from friendly mever came around for dinner reservations and the sleeping car #32109 had the absolute hardest ride ive ever felt on amtrak with a loud bang at every bump something obviously was wrong not to mention first time ive ever had bad food on amtrak was quite surprised at that

Can't say there was a lot of "service" when I was westbound on LSL. But I found the cafe car attendant to be a very cheery and helpful guy. Guess its the luck of the draw. Odd how these people can work so many hours (6:30am-11:00pm) and stay so positive. They always seem to be joking with the clientele.

Can't say there was a lot of "service" when I was westbound on LSL. But I found the cafe car attendant to be a very cheery and helpful guy. Guess its the luck of the draw. Odd how these people can work so many hours (6:30am-11:00pm) and stay so positive. They always seem to be joking with the clientele.
I agree. Best I ever had was on the eastbound LSL, back when it used to leave at 10 PM from Chicago instead of 9:30. The cafe car attendant was an old hand who'd worked as a bartender in New York before jumping ship for Amtrak (heaven knows why; I didn't ask). Given the hour he had a flock of impatient drinkers but he served everyone right quick and sassed everyone (in a friendly fashion ;) ).

Similarly, I just ask the SCA to drop me some bed linens while I'm at dinner on the AT so I can make the bed exactly when I'm ready to sleep (which is, often, after the SCA is"off duty"). I return the linens to the SCA the next morning.
Drop you some linens?

They're required to have the lower mattress essentially made up with linens and then folded up and placed on the upper bunk before the train ever leaves the station. The mattress for the upper bunk is also required to be made up and in place before you board.

All you ever would need to do is pull out the seats, grab the mattress and drop it into place. No need for linens.

And while some attendants may be lackadaisical about doing up the beds in the morning going northbound, since they know that they're working that car going south that afternoon, going southbound they must have every sheet changed and the beds ready to go prior to leaving the train and going home in Sanford. The attendant who will work that car that afternoon for the northbound run should never have to think about linens on beds out of Sanford.

Drop you some linens?

They're required to have the lower mattress essentially made up with linens and then folded up and placed on the upper bunk before the train ever leaves the station. The mattress for the upper bunk is also required to be made up and in place before you board.

All you ever would need to do is pull out the seats, grab the mattress and drop it into place. No need for linens.

And while some attendants may be lackadaisical about doing up the beds in the morning going northbound, since they know that they're working that car going south that afternoon, going southbound they must have every sheet changed and the beds ready to go prior to leaving the train and going home in Sanford. The attendant who will work that car that afternoon for the northbound run should never have to think about linens on beds out of Sanford.
That's not been my experience at all... not in any/all of my 7 AT round trips, thus far. The SOP I've seen is, when the SCA visits you initially, they ask "What time would you like me to make up the bed?" That's when I ask them to just "drop me the linens/blanket" and then to "enjoy the rest of their evening." I promise them I won't mess with the upper bunk (it's just me, and I never use it anyway). Only once or twice do I recall an SCA "enforcing policy" (i.e. "Sorry, you can't manipulate the bed... I have to do it for safety reasons"). In which case, I just say "Thanks anyway," and send them on their way (I simply do without linens that trip... they, in turn, do without a gratuity from me).

Funny... I've had some SCAs tell me (when I tip them), "But I didn't do anything for you..." I tell them, "Yes you did... You did what I asked..."

Putting down the seats is one thing, and yes some attendants without regard to the AT or not don't want you to do it. And I believe that they really aren't supposed to allow us to do it, but that's another matter.

My point is to the "drop the linens" comment you made. To me that sounds like you're asking them to leave you clean sheets & a blanket neatly folded up on one of the seats, such that you can put them on the mattress yourself. That should NOT be happening. The mattress for the lower bed should be ready to go with sheets & blanket and simply sitting folded up on the upper bed. During the daylight hours, there should be 2 mattresses on the upper bunk. One folded and ready for use on the lower bed, one laid out properly and in the recessed area of the upper bunk.

Such that when you're ready, you should pull out the seats, drop the upper bunk for a minute, grab the ready made mattress carefully, and place it on the lower bunk. Then other than perhaps a quick straightening of things, dropping the pillows on the bed, and returning the upper bunk to its upright position, you should not have to do anything more. If you are actually putting the sheets & blankets on the mattress, then that is wrong! If you are simply placing sheets on the seats without a mattress, then that too is wrong. You should be grabbing that ready to go mattress off the upper bunk.

My point is to the "drop the linens" comment you made. To me that sounds like you're asking them to leave you clean sheets & a blanket neatly folded up on one of the seats, such that you can put them on the mattress yourself.
That's precisely what I'm asking for. Well, on the seat, apparently.

The mattress for the lower bed should be ready to go with sheets & blanket and simply sitting folded up on the upper bed. During the daylight hours, there should be 2 mattresses on the upper bunk. One folded and ready for use on the lower bed, one laid out properly and in the recessed area of the upper bunk.
I never knew that. I've never undone the upper bunk, so I didn't even know there was a mattress for the lower bunk up there, made up or not. I just assumed the seat cushion was the mattress. The upper bunk is "folded" up during the day time. I don't even know how to take it down.

Such that when you're ready, you should pull out the seats, drop the upper bunk for a minute, grab the ready made mattress carefully, and place it on the lower bunk. Then other than perhaps a quick straightening of things, dropping the pillows on the bed, and returning the upper bunk to its upright position, you should not have to do anything more.
I can see, then, how the SCAs would not want people to be fiddling with the upper bunk to do even that. I think what makes them more comfortable with just "dropping the linens" for me is that I do promise that I won't touch the upper bunk. And I don't.

If you are simply placing sheets on the seats without a mattress, then that too is wrong.
May I ask why? I don't have an issue with it from a comfort/service standpoint. It's more of a service to me if I have the freedom to make the bed when I want... not when the SCA is "available" to do it. I'll PM you in re: the reason.

You should be grabbing that ready to go mattress off the upper bunk.
I'll look for it, next time. As stated, I never knew it was there. But again, I also think the SCAs would have a real issue with me doing that on my own for safety reasons. Besides, if there is a mattress up there for the lower bunk, it must be folded over or something, because the lower bunk width (when the seat is unfolded down) is wider than the upper bunk. I think it would be a bit awkward/uncomfortable to have a mattress placed over the unfolded lower seat that's the same width as the upper bunk.

The mattress for the lower bed should be ready to go with sheets & blanket and simply sitting folded up on the upper bed. During the daylight hours, there should be 2 mattresses on the upper bunk. One folded and ready for use on the lower bed, one laid out properly and in the recessed area of the upper bunk.
I never knew that. I've never undone the upper bunk, so I didn't even know there was a mattress for the lower bunk up there, made up or not. I just assumed the seat cushion was the mattress. The upper bunk is "folded" up during the day time. I don't even know how to take it down.
Just grab the silver handle in the middle and gently pull down the upper bunk. Pull the handle again to return it to the upright position.

Such that when you're ready, you should pull out the seats, drop the upper bunk for a minute, grab the ready made mattress carefully, and place it on the lower bunk. Then other than perhaps a quick straightening of things, dropping the pillows on the bed, and returning the upper bunk to its upright position, you should not have to do anything more.
I can see, then, how the SCAs would not want people to be fiddling with the upper bunk to do even that. I think what makes them more comfortable with just "dropping the linens" for me is that I do promise that I won't touch the upper bunk. And I don't.
It's not a real problem. I've done it many times, for myself and others. Frankly, it's harder to put the seats down to make up that bed, than it is to pull down the upper bunk. You are far more likely to hurt yourself moving the seats, than lowering the upper bunk.

If you are simply placing sheets on the seats without a mattress, then that too is wrong.
May I ask why? I don't have an issue with it from a comfort/service standpoint. It's more of a service to me if I have the freedom to make the bed when I want... not when the SCA is "available" to do it. I'll PM you in re: the reason.
Well it's wrong from the point of view that's not how the bed is supposed to be made. If you're happy, then they probably don't care. But you are depriving yourself of the extra cushion of the mattress, and that mattress helps suppress issues with the seem/crack between the two seats.

You should be grabbing that ready to go mattress off the upper bunk.
I'll look for it, next time. As stated, I never knew it was there. But again, I also think the SCAs would have a real issue with me doing that on my own for safety reasons. Besides, if there is a mattress up there for the lower bunk, it must be folded over or something, because the lower bunk width (when the seat is unfolded down) is wider than the upper bunk. I think it would be a bit awkward/uncomfortable to have a mattress placed over the unfolded lower seat that's the same width as the upper bunk.
Again, really shouldn't be a problem. Frankly I'm surprised that no SCA has ever asked you why you aren't using the real mattress. Do note, you have to be careful how you drop it down or you will undo the linens wrapped around the mattress.

And yes, it's always folded. Some attendants fold it once lengthwise to get it up & down. Other's fold it in thirds making it more square, and in my opinion easier to handle. That's how I would do it if I were an SCA.

Again, really shouldn't be a problem. Frankly I'm surprised that no SCA has ever asked you why you aren't using the real mattress. Do note, you have to be careful how you drop it down or you will undo the linens wrapped around the mattress.

And yes, it's always folded. Some attendants fold it once lengthwise to get it up & down. Other's fold it in thirds making it more square, and in my opinion easier to handle. That's how I would do it if I were an SCA.
Fair enough... Thanks! :hi: I'll check it out next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back