50 States, in 50 days, in 30 days??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmushial

OBS Chief
I'm wondering if there isn't a different mode of use for the Amtrak rolling stock... anyone familiar with "TheWorld" - a 700ft-ish cruise liner, which has been converted from 800 8x10ft rooms, to 160ft sea worth apartments? Where TheWorld basically moves from ocean to ocean 24/7/365 and one just happens to have an apartment that does such likewise [for those not familiar http://aboardtheworld.com/ ]. Yes they're well above the price and class that one can or would expect to find on Amtrak; but they provide an interesting point. Most cruise liners go from Seattle to Anchorage to Seattle to Anchorage etc etc.. and as long as one has enough passengers that want to go from Seattle to Seattle via Anchorage, then one makes money. The model I'm suggesting would be to at least for a couple trains, for a couple months a year, to operate like a roving hotel/hostel.

What I'm wondering - and yes I understand it would take a lot of planning and negotiations with the various track owners - but in a mode the antithesis of the NEC and other commuter trains - one sells tickets for the entire loop: 48 states in 48 days, or subsets of them; and one has one, two 10 car trains which do exactly that. And unlike a train that's trying to get from a to b on a schedule, the 48S48D might spend a night on a siding so that it could traverse a scenic piece of track the following morning during daylight; or might pause somewhere for 18 hrs to that one could detrain and walk to see something.

I suspect initially one might have to experiment with routes and view and track availabilities, but over time, kind of like any good tour agent, one could develop a fixed agenda which catches a compelling collections of scenery/sights. Maybe one only runs such - since clearly it would tourist oriented, not business traveler - for so many month a year. Maybe one starts in April or May and catches a "Spring" route; and one ends in late August or September and catches an autumn leaves route.

Over the years I've been to all 50 states, many/most multiple times - and as far as I can tell, every state has something to offer.... treat the Amtrak consist as a roving/rolling hotel/hostel and set an agenda which sees as much as possible of it (from rails). ... I wonder if such mightn't be a possible market for Amtrak, and one that doesn't pit it against the flying cattle cars, but does something unique. [yes there are bus tours - but one can't/ doesn't want to live a buss... conversely, one can quite well live on an Amtrak train. With the busses one generally has to overnight at hotels and travel during the day - with Amtrak, if such were opportunistic, one could cover dead space at night, basically, magically always having something special outside of the windows; or conversely (per above), intentionally sit on a siding overnight so as have good stuff outside the windows the next day.] ...

I guess the way to view this might be: instead of being in the transportation business, this would be Amtrak, in the tour business.

Though somebody at Amtrak would have to pay more attention to keeping the windows clean ;-) ;-(

Last edited by a moderator:
And how would the train get to Alaska and more impossible to Hawaii? (They haven't built the bridge to Hawaii yet! :giggle: )
Touche and touche again ;-) how about 48 states in 48 days or 48 states in 30 days or something like that?

Yes Hawaii would be very difficult... I've heard of the bridge to nowhere... but no bridge to Hawaii yet... maybe show Hawaii movies on one of the sitting on a siding nights?

But I think you understand my point...

Though I'm wondering if there isn't a rail passage through Whitehorse and on down to Prince George etc... but that would introduce all types of international travel type problems - and I'm sure not worth it, given what I was suggesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The concept is fun... you can pretty much do that now if you have the money. Get a private rail car.. rent out space to your friends, and then travel wherever you can afford to go.

As far as Amtrak being involved as the organizer... I don't think that is possible or a good idea. But i'm fairly certain you weren't serious.. just a fun idea right?

I'd sign up for a rail tour that starts in san diego and goes up to Vancouver and then on through Canada and connects to the Alaska RR. That would be an awesome trip with lots or rare mileage. Heck.. while we are dreaming can the 3751 pull it to Portland and then the 4449 take over?

ha.

I've been through all the states Amtrak goes to over the years. With some time on your hands it would be possible to hit every state within one trip. To do the lower 48 you'll have to rent a car to get to any South Dakota point. Does Amtrak have bus service to Wyoming from Denver? Sounds like a fun future project.

I saw video on tv years ago about that World ship idea. I thought it was fascinating. and very lovely, back then they were selling apts for 200K not too bad to liive the rest of your life on the Mediterranean Sea.

You could probably do something similar right now with a special sleeper car with all bedrooms in it and maybe a private lounge library. Maybe fitted with a few drawers and a closet - where you would buy the bedroom for a month - like the rail passes and spend as much time on the train as you wish, Then get off where you wish and pick up the train with your things on it when it passes through again. You would go back and forth too many times to see what you wanted though. And they would have to switch the whole car to a new route now and then....but if you are somewhere in CO when you got off your train and it switched to the California train lines, you would be stuck.... or miss that part.....or pick it up in Minot ND when your car is on the EB. Maybe you would have to BUY the room for a year.

A better idea is a pet car so one could travel with their pet. I so many friends who want to ride with us, but want to bring the dog.

or put more routes in. Places I can't get to on Amtrak now.

And how would the train get to Alaska and more impossible to Hawaii? (They haven't built the bridge to Hawaii yet! :giggle: )
Touche and touche again ;-) how about 48 states in 48 days or 48 states in 30 days or something like that?

Yes Hawaii would be very difficult... I've heard of the bridge to nowhere... but no bridge to Hawaii yet... maybe show Hawaii movies on one of the sitting on a siding nights?

Though I'm wondering if there isn't a rail passage through Whitehorse and on down to Prince George etc... but that would introduce all types of international travel type problems - and I'm sure not worth it, given what I was suggesting.
There isn't any rail connection between Alaska and the rest of the North American rail grid at all. The closest rail ever got to Alaska was the Dease Lake extension of the BCR and that still left several hundred miles to go (at least) between that and the North Pole branch of the Alaska RR.
Freight cars bound to and from Alaska are barged.

There isn't any rail connection between Alaska and the rest of the North American rail grid at all. The closest rail ever got to Alaska was the Dease Lake extension of the BCR and that still left several hundred miles to go (at least) between that and the North Pole branch of the Alaska RR.
Freight cars bound to and from Alaska are barged.
Which would be no slower than the EB and its slow orders this summer, right? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back