A few Zephyr questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hairy & Mary

Hello everyone,

We are flying over from London to SF then taking the Zephyr from SF to Chicago, we have a few questions as we have never used Amtrak before

1 - How easy is it to pick up our tickets from SF (we have an e-ticket we need to collect)

2 - How obvious is place to pick up the bus?

3 - We have only booked coach, will this be survivable!?!?!

4 - How long are the comfort stops??

5 - Do we need to bring pillows and blankets?

6 - How easy is it to get seats on the viewing coach?

7 - How good is the food in the dining car?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

Hairy & Mary!!

3 - We have only booked coach, will this be survivable!?!?!

I can't do two nights in coach, but other people don't mind it. For me, it's hard to sleep on my back. I need to be on my side or stomach. Also, I'm a very light sleeper, so every little whisper, snore, or movement wakes me up. Some people sleep quite comfortably with earplugs and a sleeping mask. If you can sleep in a recliner, you'll do okay in Coach.

Personally, even if I could sleep in Coach, I'd want to spend one night in a roomette so I could have a good night's rest and a hot shower. That might be a good compromise if you can afford it. Plus, your meals are included.

4 - How long are the comfort stops??

It varies. Sometimes it's five minutes; sometimes it's twenty minutes. Your car attendant will let you know when they make the announcement. Stay near the train, and listen for the, "All aboard!" from the conductors. Shortly before they say that, you'll hear a quick double-whistle from the engineer. I highly recommend staying near the train and not going into the station, even if they say you have 15-20 minutes.

5 - Do we need to bring pillows and blankets?

They will provide a small pillow to each of you but no blankets. Most people bring a neck pillow for extra comfort and a blanket that's easy to roll/fold up.

6 - How easy is it to get seats on the viewing coach?

The Sightseer Lounge is usually pretty crowded during the day, so go early. I can find a seat in the afternoon once in a while, but it really just depends on the day/time/location. I've never been on the Zephyr, but I imagine it's similar to the Southwest Chief. They're both popular, scenic routes.

7 - How good is the food in the dining car?

I like it quite a bit, but others think it's only so-so. It largely depends on what you order. We're fans of the steakburger and chicken, but I wasn't happy with the veggie pasta. A lot of people have their favorites. Hopefully, they'll chime in.

Hello, welcome to AU.

As per your questions.

1. I will have to defer to other members on the SF question.

2. Once again, I will defer on this one.

3. Coach is survivable. Although it depends on how well you are able to sleep in a seat. The seat does recline a bit, and there are curtains on the windows to block out light. They dim the lights at night, The restrooms in coach are on the lower level. This is a Superliner trainset, meaning its a double level set. You board on the lower level, then climb stairs to get to the upper level.

4. The comfort stops vary in dwell time. If the train is late, they will shorten the stops to try and make up time. The train crew will announce how long the stops are. They generally tell you to not stray too far from the train and listen for the long whistle blast and the all aboard call. Follow this advice closely, or you could be left behind.

5. Amtrak provides small pillows. I would definitely pack a pillow of your own if you can fit it into your luggage. Blanket? probably, as depending on the time of year traveling, the train can get pretty cold at night. Its always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :)

6. The lounge car "viewing coach as you call it" is open around the clock, so its not hard to get seats there. The only time its hard to get seats there is around the Rockies, in Colorado. Being that you are going eastbound, that would be in the evening. There is also a cafe on the lower level of the lounge car. The hours are usually announced by the cafe car attendant. You can buy snacks, drinks, etc.

7. The food in the dining car is typical fair. It really depends on your taste as to whether you will like it or not. I find the food to be decent. its nothing spectacular, but its ok for train food. Breakfast and lunch are the cheaper options. Dinner can be pretty pricey depending on your selection.

I hope you have a safe and pleasant journey on the California Zephyr, its definitely a beautiful scenic ride.

1) If you have to pick up the ticket then it will generally be a paper ticket. If you are taking the bus from San Francisco to Emeryville to connect to the train you will have a paper ticket for your journey as the bus connection is not yet an E-Ticket route. With that said, the ticket itself it quite simple to pick up. You can pick it up from an Agent at the Amtrak Ticket Office near the San Francisco Ferry Building (SFC) with your ID/Passport or you can pick it up from the Quik-Trak automated ticket machine using your payment credit card. The office is generally open from 6am to 6:30pm and 7:00pm to 10:50pm Daily. No other stops in San Francisco have ticket machines or agents.

2) If you are getting on at that stop the bus stops in front of the office building on the street. It has an Amtrak Bus Stop sign and is clearly marked. If you are boarding at any of the other stops in San Francisco, just look for the Amtrak Bus Stop Sign.

I shall defer to others for the rest of the questions... but in terms of picking up the tickets... it generally is not complicated at all!

I seem to have beat everyone else to this topic, so let me see how well I can answer these questions:

1. SF, if you mean the Ferry Building station, has a staffed ticket office. ( Although you can now print out the E Tickets yourself. ) This handles checked baggage, also.

2. The bus stops right out on the street near that building and the station staff should direct you. The bus system is well run and will take you directly to Emeryville to board the train.

3. Coach is survivable for some people, and not so desirable for others. The seats are roomy and comfortable, and recline back much further than an airline seat. Some people sleep better in seats than others. I have not done that recently myself. (although did pretty well last March returning on a night flight from Hawaii. )

4. The comfort stops are usually referred to as smoke stops. (There are plenty of toilets on the train.) At the major cities, such as Denver, the stop may be as long as an hour. At other smaller locations or crew change points, such as Winnemucca, Nevada, only a few minutes. ( Keep in mind that if the timetable states the train is due to stop for one hour, and it arrives late, it may not be there for the full hour. Example: The schedule calls for the train to arrive at 1 pm and leave at 2 pm: if it arrives at 1:20, it may still be able to leave at 2 if the station work and servicing is completed. It will not leave before the scheduled time. ) At other smaller stations you will not be permitted to step off the train. The smoke stops are usually specifically announced.

5. I am not sure about coach these days concerning pillows and blankets - someone else answer this. ( On my night flight there were none! )

6. The Sightseer lounge car is usually very popular during scenic portions of the run and seats at times may be hard to come by. They are first come, first served.

7. In my opinion, the food has reached the point of being acceptable to very good. It is not high class cuisine, but middle American food. Coach passengers must pay for their meals; meals are included in sleeping car fares, although please remember tipping is in order to the staff like a normal restaurant. The steak and lamb shanks ( if available ) are quite good, indeed.

You have reserved coach, but if you have the $$$$ you will be much happier in a sleeper. If not, make yourself as comfortable as possible in coach and enjoy the ride, which is a magnificent experience hands down. I hope this is helpful - please PM me if you like.

On picking up your E-ticket, you can print it on your home printer before your leave home. It will be emailed to you after your make your online reservation.

The tips I can give you as far as scenic areas where you should try to get a seat in the Lounge car are from just east of Roseville California all the way to Reno Nevada. The other place that is most scenic is the Glenwood Canyon.

Grab a seat when the train is stopped in Glenwood Springs Colorado. Your eastbound CZ will meet the westbound CZ a few miles east of the Glenwood Canyon if both are on schedule. I actually took a picture of the westbound from the eastbound once. I have survived many nights sleeping in coach. I try to avoid 3 consecutive nights on the train.

Everyone else has covered it well.

One note, though: there's a convenience store at the Grand Junction Amtrak station. If the train is on time, there's a long enough layover there to restock snacks and such. You'll be one of many people that do this, so take advantage of it.

Everyone else has covered it well.

One note, though: there's a convenience store at the Grand Junction Amtrak station. If the train is on time, there's a long enough layover there to restock snacks and such. You'll be one of many people that do this, so take advantage of it.
From what I was told the guy that runs that little store is a retired RR man. While the selection is limited and a bit pricey it is a fun little "sidetrip" and you usually have enough time to pick up a couple tidbits in there, look around a bit and wander the platform.

If you are in Sleeper and the Lounge is packed, consider wandering to the "Railfan Window" at the back of the train and enjoy the views of Donner Pass, Glenwood Canyon and the Moffat Tunnel from there. Try to swing for that upgrade if you can-it's well worth it for this train. And consider investing a few bucks in a good route guide as well.

Thanks Everyone, really helpful advice!

Will definately take some pillow and blanket supplies!

We are both very excited about seeing the USA in this unique way (bit like Route 66 but without either of us having to do the driving!)

Happy New Year!!!

Hi,

I am currently on the Zephyr going from Chicago to Reno, NV aftyer Christma svcation back east. Everyone gave you excellent answers. I would only answer that food is always subjective and that I have never had a "bad" meal on AMTRAK, just some are better than others. Of course after (28) years in the Navy I can eat cardboard smothered in gravy, (LOL)

The scenery in Colorado, Utah and Nevada is incredible as you will see places that are only reachable by train, kayak, 4X4 ORV or seroius montain hiking. I have hiked most of the areas/places we saw, but not as up close and personal as theb train. The winter makes it even more incredible. Saw lots of elk, deer and eagles.

You will enjoy the route.

NAVYBLUE

Be sure and let us know how you enjoy your cross country trip. It is an eye popper. Others have not mentioned Utah....after. It gets light east of Salt Lake City, be watching for the dramatic cliffs and canyons of eastern Utah. It is a little different(!) than London. Enjoy.

If you are in Sleeper and the Lounge is packed, consider wandering to the "Railfan Window" at the back of the train and enjoy the views of Donner Pass, Glenwood Canyon and the Moffat Tunnel from there. Try to swing for that upgrade if you can-it's well worth it for this train. And consider investing a few bucks in a good route guide as well.
Hello

Sorry to but in, but what's a "Railfan Window" and does it cost extra. Would you recommend that as better for photography than the lounge?

Do you have a preference for a route guide, can you pick them up on Amazon?

Thanks

Hello

Sorry to but in, but what's a "Railfan Window" and does it cost extra. Would you recommend that as better for photography than the lounge?

Thanks
The sleepers on the Zephyr are on the rear of the train instead of the front. Therefore, if you purchase a sleeper ticket, you can walk to the rearmost sleeper car and look out the back door. It's a large window and offers an amazing vantage point for pictures and videos. We call it the "railfan window" for that very reason. :)

Route guides are available on the train and at some major stations. You can also download it from Amtrak.com

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/930/454/Amtrak-California-Zephyr-Train-Route-Guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

Thanks
The sleepers on the Zephyr are on the rear of the train instead of the front. Therefore, if you purchase a sleeper ticket, you can walk to the rearmost sleeper car and look out the back door. It's a large window and offers an amazing vantage point for pictures and videos. We call it the "railfan window" for that very reason. :)

Route guides are available on the train and at some major stations. You can also download it from Amtrak.com

http://www.amtrak.co...Route-Guide.pdf

Thanks Sorcha, understand completely now.

Kalamazoo was the first real Amtrak station I saw up close, loved the long wooden benches and the stone work of the building.

Hello

Thanks

http://www.amtrak.co...Route-Guide.pdf
I'll be on the California Zephyr early next month....... I've got roomette 10 in the 0532 sleeper. I believe the the 'railfan window' will be right outside my room! (can't wait!)

Thanks Sorcha, understand completely now.

Kalamazoo was the first real Amtrak station I saw up close, loved the long wooden benches and the stone work of the building.
Wonderful. :) I'm quite a fan of our little station. They tried to keep it as historic as possible.

If you can sleep on a bus or the flight over fairly easily, than you'll probably be fine with coach. Of course the Amtrak seats are much roomier than a plane, but some people (including me) just can't sleep very well sitting up. The fact a sleeper includes all your meals also makes the cost a bit more reasonable. If you decide to go in coach, I would stop off somewhere along the way for a couple days to break up the journey. Denver might be a good candidate for that.

Hi,

Hope you enjoy your Amtrak Zephyr trip as much as I have! I travel with just a carry on flight bag, so I tend to just buy a cheap blanket when I arrive in America, about $10 in the many Walgreens or similar "drug stores". There are several bus stops in San Francisco, but you would need to go to the office near fishermans wharf, the ferry building, if you need to obtain a paper ticket. The bus connects you to Emeryville, where the Zephyr leaves from. You should be able to pick up your ticket in advance, and then maybe board the bus on your day of travel at a more convenient stop. I find the food in the cafe car to be pretty unhealthy. Microwaved burgers and hot dogs. The dining car has much better food but it's NOT the orient express! I love coach travel on Amtrak, but I like to take some fresh fruit and nice sandwiches aboard to supplement the hot dogs.

The scenery from the Zephyr is fantastic, you will have a great adventure!

Ed :cool:

Hello everyone,

We are flying over from London to SF then taking the Zephyr from SF to Chicago, we have a few questions as we have never used Amtrak before

1 - How easy is it to pick up our tickets from SF (we have an e-ticket we need to collect)

2 - How obvious is place to pick up the bus?

3 - We have only booked coach, will this be survivable!?!?! The coach seats for sitting are a little more comfortable than sleeper seats since you also have to sleep in them.

4 - How long are the comfort stops?? It depens on the on time performance of the train. If you mean can you step away to see something at a stop, not a good idea. They recomend you stand close to the doors for an on time departure. They will and have left people at station left seeing the red light at the back of the train get smaller and smaller. If you get left, it is up to you to get to a stop ahead of the train to get back on.

5 - Do we need to bring pillows and blankets? For coach, I believe they do supply them but they are pretty thin.

6 - How easy is it to get seats on the viewing coach? This is hard to determine. It depends on the passanger levels.

7 - How good is the food in the dining car? I for one love the train food in the diner. The snack car in the lower level of the lounge car not so much. In coach you pay for the food. Breakfast is $7.50 - $11.25, breakfast meats $3.00 and juice and coffee is inlcuded. Lunch is $8.75 - $12.50 and includes coffee or tea. Dinner is $16.00 - $25.75 and includes dinner salad, roll, coffee or tea. Deserts are $2.50 - $6.00 and beer $5.25 - $7.00 wine $6.00 single or $15 for a half bottle. Cocktails are $7.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

Hairy & Mary!!
I know exchange rate is a factor but it is in your favor right now. If it is within the budget I would see about upgrading to at least a roomette. You have a private compartment, flat beds at night, shower, and your meals are included except alcoholic beverages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back