adding ambus to guest rewards tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
My Wife and I are going on a trip to San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, from Memphis via S W Chief Chicago to Los Angeles, thence Coast Starlight. The system won't book this route all the way to San Francisco, but will book it to Oakland (Jack London) or Emeryville. I booked the guest rewards to Oakland and asked if I could add the connecting Amtrak bus to Frisco at my own expense. I was told this could not be done.

Thoughts? advice?

I had a similar problem with an AmBus on the end of my last trip. It was not in the system as a trip from my origin (BOS) to my destination (BND). I solved the problem by doing a two-zone redemtption BOS to DEN, plus a one-zone DEN to BND (which was in the system). It cost me the same total points for the trip (20,000 + 15,000) as a three-zone redemption (35,000). But I see you are only talking about a two-zone trip, and this technique unfortunately does not work with a two-zone redemption :(

Since then, I have asked at flyertalk and gotten the combo I use most (BND to BOS & return) added to the system so it will work that way next time. Others know more than I about that forum, and how to use it to get a city pair added to the system. Your city pair should be in there, it just needs to be added. And they can't give you the reservation till it is!

An AGR award also include an Ambus - in your case book the award to SF. In California, you can not ride the Ambus unless the trip includes a train portion. That's why you can't hook just Oakland to SF.

Since you must call AGR anyway since it includes connections, just book your award from Memphis to SF. It costs the same points as Memphis to Oakland!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's the problem: I want to ride the S W Chief before they reroute it; and my wife wants a trip on the Coast Starlilght. The system will not book me to San Francisco on this route, but will allow me to book to Oakland or Emeryville. I need to know if I am entitled to add on a paid ticket that connects with my Guest Rewards ticket for the Ambus connection from Oakland, or if I have to make my own arrangements to get to Frisco. If I am on my own, then should I detrain in Oakland or Emeryville, and what is the best way to get to Fisherman's Wharf from these stations?

No need. You must call to book anyway. So when you call AGR, just ask the agent that you want to go from Memphis to San Francisco.
Will this work, though? It's not a published route. I've tried to book SFW to LAX, and it won't let me take the Ambus to EMY. It wants me to board at OKJ.

Would the AGR rep be able to workaround that and get him on a bus from EMY?

I think so. If not, ask for a supervisor.

The Ambus connecting to/from the CS connects at OKJ from/to the south only, and at EMY from/to the north only.
Oh, that's right.

Anyway, I just tried LAX to SFW (Fisherman's Wharf), and it's showing the Coast Starlight with a bus connection from OKJ to SFW.

George, I'd definitely call again. Maybe the first rep wasn't doing something right? You should be able to go from LAX to SFW with a bus connection.

Are you asking the same question twice? Seems like it. Call AGR. the same reward should cover the bus to Fisherman's wharf, I have booked this in the past with no problems. The bus drivers in California can now scan your E ticket.

No, just to clarify (see original post) I have already booked memphis to oakland via chgo and LA. I asked during the conversation if they could add the bus to SF and they said no. That's the problem. I don't even mind paying for the bus portion if AGR won't include it.

Or another way, why don't you just book to San Jose and ride the Caltrain to San Francisco? That ought to solve your problem, and Caltrain isn't that expensive.

I've been to San Francisco many times, and Fisherman's Wharf is greatly overrated! It's just a tourist trap, not fun at all. If you go there, just go there to ride the trolley (F), or the trackless trolley (49). If you want attractions, I suggest the Presidio, Land's End, ad/or Twin Peaks, but NOT Fisherman's Wharf. And the Ferry Building area is worth a walk. As for Chinatown, it's interesting, but it's really nothing like actual China.

No, just to clarify (see original post) I have already booked memphis to oakland via chgo and LA. I asked during the conversation if they could add the bus to SF and they said no. That's the problem. I don't even mind paying for the bus portion if AGR won't include it.
I'd call back and explain to the agent your problem (with the 1st agent) and ask them to modify your rez by extending it to SFW.

It's the "not a published route" thing that's a problem. You can book LAX-SF, but you you're trying to book it from Memphis the only published route is on the CZ. Just need to have the routing added to Arrow (easier said than done!).

Sent from my iPhone

The Coast Starlight timetable shows Emeryville is only 5 miles from Oakland. The schedule also shows a bus from Oakland to San Francisco with the note to "San Francisco-see back", and there is a connection from both Oakland and Emeryville to Fisherman's Wharf, possibly on the same Ambus. Also, I believe that your arrival and departure times to and from the Ambus are good connection times.

It would seem that you should be able to book it all the way from either Emeryville or Oakland on your rewards reservation. Arm yourself with the schedule and call back. Amtrak seems to be neglecting bus portions on many routes. I had the same problem here on an Illinois Ambus.

It's the "not a published route" thing that's a problem. You can book LAX-SF, but you you're trying to book it from Memphis the only published route is on the CZ. Just need to have the routing added to Arrow (easier said than done!).

Sent from my iPhone
Not necessarily. Contact AGR Insider on FlyerTalk and he'll look into it and most likely will get the route added to Arrow.

The Coast Starlight timetable shows Emeryville is only 5 miles from Oakland. The schedule also shows a bus from Oakland to San Francisco with the note to "San Francisco-see back", and there is a connection from both Oakland and Emeryville to Fisherman's Wharf, possibly on the same Ambus. Also, I believe that your arrival and departure times to and from the Ambus are good connection times.

It would seem that you should be able to book it all the way from either Emeryville or Oakland on your rewards reservation. Arm yourself with the schedule and call back. Amtrak seems to be neglecting bus portions on many routes. I had the same problem here on an Illinois Ambus.
I'd call back and ask to add the bus on to the reservation. Say that your plans have changed, if asked. The worst that can happen is that the agent will say "no," but since that happens often enough for redemption trips that follow the rules, it pays to be persistent.

I think your problem is one of timing.

The CS arrives in OAK at 9:24 pm. The Ambus departs for San Francisco at 9:35 pm. At best,that is a very doubtful connection.

Nope. It books just fine if you try it from LAX. The bus exists solely to get passengers from OAK into San Fransisco.

It's a matter of getting the connection into Arrow. Sometimes Anthony can help with that, but he has to work with others (a pain) and can't just make it happen (which is why I said easier said than done).

I think your problem is one of timing.

The CS arrives in OAK at 9:24 pm. The Ambus departs for San Francisco at 9:35 pm. At best,that is a very doubtful connection.
Since that Ambus exist ONLY for passengers connecting from the CS to get to SF, if the CS is late 20 minutes it will depart 20 minutes late. If the CS is 3 hours late, the Ambus will depart 3 hours late. It will not leave until the CS gets to OKJ. (Otherwise there will be nobody on the bus.)

HAPPY ENDING: I called AGR today and asked another agent if he could add the bus. I told him I would pay an additional fare if needed. He tried to add it to the reservation and the system would not let him. Then he asked me to hold and let him check on it. After quite a while he came back on and said he had gotten it approved. I am assuming he got a supervisor to help deal with it.

My reservation and e-ticket now include the bus. :)

Yay!

Let's hope this means it was or will be added to Arrow so others won't have the same problem.

HAPPY ENDING: I called AGR today and asked another agent if he could add the bus. I told him I would pay an additional fare if needed. He tried to add it to the reservation and the system would not let him. Then he asked me to hold and let him check on it. After quite a while he came back on and said he had gotten it approved. I am assuming he got a supervisor to help deal with it.

My reservation and e-ticket now include the bus. :)
I'm glad my suggestion worked. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I called AGR and they said that 7000 series buses could not be added.

So I called the private operator and they said not to even call them until the day before.

Kinda sweating here!!

Back