Additional Keystone Capacity?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguably a better location to interface SEPTA urban transit with the NEC would be where the Market-Frankford line crosses over the NEC.
When you said this, I immediately thought of 30th St. Station. I have no idea why the direct, covered, indoor connection between stations remains closed.
Then I realized you meant the *other* place it crosses over the NEC, at the northeast end. :) Also a good idea...

But probably reopening the direct connection at Market St. would be relatively easy to do, and I really have no idea why it hasn't been done...
It may not be that easy to reopen the 30th Street - MFSE connector. The direct connection was originally closed due to the number of twists and turns that made security down there an issue that neither Amtrak nor SEPTA wanted to address. Yes, that was a copout, but that was the reason.

Later, as part of the renovation of the station that added the food court and restaurants, the stairway into the station was completely removed and the marble flooring was extended over the area. Other than a very slight variation in the color of the marble, the location of the old SEPTA MFSE stairway within 30th Street Station is hard to even find today.
Not to mention, they would probably have felt pressure to make that connection ADA compliant....would have been a costly endeavor.....

Re-opening the 30th Street--MFSE connector would seem like a logical thing to do...and in a perfect world you would certainly have an all-weather, secure, ADA connection between the two. But for Amtrak passengers who simply need to head into center city Philadelphia, such a connection already exists in the form of frequent SEPTA regional rail service from the upper concourse, with the added bonus that no additional fare is required. If you want, you can connect at Suburban or Market East to the Orange and Blue Lines without going outside.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help people headed west...those folks are just going to head to put on a stiff upper lip and brave the elements...and a stiff upper lip is probably required to head into West Philly anyhow.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help people headed west...those folks are just going to head to put on a stiff upper lip and brave the elements...and a stiff upper lip is probably required to head into West Philly anyhow.
I've usually been headed to University City. Really safe these days. The connection to the trolley lines is what would be really useful.

Have all of the grade crossings been closed yet????

Also, there looks to be several more private crossings on the map. Will they have to be closed in order to increase speeds or will they not have to since they are private roads????

Have all of the grade crossings been closed yet????

Also, there looks to be several more private crossings on the map. Will they have to be closed in order to increase speeds or will they not have to since they are private roads????
The last update I saw was that the last grade separation project for the eastern Keystone was expected to be completed by the fall of 2014. As for any private crossings, they would complicate operation above 110 mph if they were not permanently closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back