Advice or opinions needed re: Bedroom vs Family Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I always rode the Southern

Service Attendant
We are bringing our son, daughter-in-law and infant granddaughter to Florida for Christmas on the auto train. I booked them in a bedroom for the in room shower, but now am second guessing myself and wondering if the family room would have been a better choice, and should I change it if possible. Any experience or knowledge as to which accomodation those who have traveled with an infant prefer? The baby will be 8 months old at time of travel. This will be the first Amtrak trip for any of them and want them to enjoy it, not endure it!

If the infant will be sharing one of the berths, it really doesn't matter.

Bedroom - upper level, bathroom in the room, better views (IMO), 2 berths

Family Room - lower level, no bathroom in the room, 4 berths (2 "adult sized" and 2 that are 4‘9" long or less)

The access between cars are on the upper level only.

Go for the bedroom and have the baby sleep with one of the parents in the lower berth. Try to get bedroom E or J because they are in the center of the car and provide a better ride. Next choice is D or K. Next choice is C or L. Next choice is B or M. The very last choice is A or N. A and N are at the end of the car, where the ride is rougher and the noise is greater.

For kids who are a bit older, the family room is nice because it doesn't have a restroom. Kids NEED to move around, and that short walk down the hall to the facilities can be an opportunity to move. This isn't a factor for a baby, so the in-room facilities will be more convenient in your case.

I've had passengers who have tried to bring a playpen aboard. That kind of thing won't fit in any of the rooms, but they will find it convenient to bring the baby's car seat aboard.

Tom

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

PRae_Train- I think that thread was the one that caused me to question my decision since I had no experience with the family room

Traveler-views, upper level and Bathroom is why I chose the bedroom to start with

Tom,

I was especially happy to see your viewpoint. It really made me feel comfortable/relieved any doubt about why I had chosen to book the bedroom over the family room when I made the reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back