Amtrak cancellation, what's the fee?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
Hello,

A friend of mine has a train trip booked in May on the Empire Builder and wanted me to ask what the fee is if he was to cancel one direction of the trip? If it's x far in advance do they not have a refund fee? Or is it always 10% on the entire half of the trip?

According to the person I talked with, until the tickets are issued you can get 100% refund.

Told him he should sign up here but he's not a computer techy.

Thanks a bunch!

Hello, A friend of mine has a train trip booked in May on the Empire Builder and wanted me to ask what the fee is if he was to cancel one direction of the trip? If it's x far in advance do they not have a refund fee? Or is it always 10% on the entire half of the trip?

According to the person I talked with, until the tickets are issued you can get 100% refund.

Told him he should sign up here but he's not a computer techy.

Thanks a bunch!
I believe that is correct. I canceled an entire leg of a trip last year (Galesburg to Kansas City) only 5 days out and got the full amount refunded. I already had my CZ (EMY to GBB) ticket in hand but I had not had the SWC ticket issued yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inspiration,

If the tickets have not been printed then assuming he doesn't have a sleeper booked, he can cancel and get 100% of his money back. If he has a sleeper booked, then he must cancel prior to 7 days before departure to get 100% back, again assuming that the tickets haven't been printed.

If the tickets are printed, then he can only get a refund of 90%. However, there is another alternative. If he thinks that he might use Amtrak in the future, he can request that the refund be given as a voucher for future travels. By going the voucher route, he'd still get 100% of his money back towards that future Amtrak trip.

Has there been a change in Amtrak's cancellation policy? When I look at their website ... I read ... that it doesn't matter if the tickets are printed or not. I know this wasn't the case previously ... which is why I learned from here NEVER to print out my tickets until needed ... but am wondering if something has changed or am I just not understanding their verbiage.

Thank you.

It's said that on the website for quite some time. However, the rule of not printed - get 100% back has always applied.

We have been getting word however that that will be changing at some point in the near future. Just when, we don't know.

Ok, follow-up time: I have a one-way ticket sitting in front of me that's unused. It's "not valid after [date in April, 2012]". It's been a while since I did this...how do I exchange it?

When you have a trip you want to take planned out, take the other ticket to a station and have the agent use it to help pay for your planned trip. Alternatively you can call up Amtrak and make an unpaid reservation, then head to the station to pay for it using the ticket and cash/credit for the balance.

Alan,

Thanks a bunch. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure (the ticket was a coach ticket I bought not knowing if I'd use it...but expecting that I'd have an occasion to use the value on it in the next few months. Or, in other words, something that I would never in a million years try with an airline).

We have been getting word however that that will be changing at some point in the near future. Just when, we don't know.
I haven't heard any of that - any idea on what it'll change to?
I would hope that tickets bought under the old policy would continue to be able to be cancelled under that policy.

I haven't heard any of that - any idea on what it'll change to?

I would hope that tickets bought under the old policy would continue to be able to be cancelled under that policy.
I've only made a bunch of posts about it over the past 2 or 3 months. :rolleyes:

And the old policy is the current policy. The Amtrak website has stated what Hello posted for quite some time, so all tickets still retaining value and any reservations sitting in the computer have been purchased under the current policy. Amtrak has allowed a loop hole in the policy for quite some time; but they can close that loop hole any time they want.

I've been hearing about 2 possible things. One, of course is what we're discussing, that all reservations will be subject to the cancellation fee, without regard to printed/unprinted. With the move to eTicketing coming up, this would only make sense.

The other change that may be coming is that failure to cancel a coach reservation prior to departure will result in you giving Amtrak a donation. Put simply, no refund/no voucher if you don't call and cancel before departure.

I've been hearing about 2 possible things. One, of course is what we're discussing, that all reservations will be subject to the cancellation fee, without regard to printed/unprinted. With the move to eTicketing coming up, this would only make sense.
In conjunction with such a change they should also institute possibly higher fully refundable fares irrespective of whether printed or not, like the airlines have.

The other change that may be coming is that failure to cancel a coach reservation prior to departure will result in you giving Amtrak a donation. Put simply, no refund/no voucher if you don't call and cancel before departure.
That would make sense though for corridor usage it would make sense to allow conversion to another train between the same O/D points within a small set time limit. That would allow for missing a train due to a meeting running late etc. and allow for transfer of it to the next train on an available accommodation and fare basis.

In conjunction with such a change they should also institute possibly higher fully refundable fares irrespective of whether printed or not, like the airlines have.

That would make sense though for corridor usage it would make sense to allow conversion to another train between the same O/D points within a small set time limit. That would allow for missing a train due to a meeting running late etc. and allow for transfer of it to the next train on an available accommodation and fare basis.
On #1, the problem is that the "fully refundable" fare tends to be far more expensive than the "partly refundable" fare. Take VIA: For the "fully refundable" fare to make sense, you'd have to cancel your reservation 2-3 times for it to make sense. #2 would, IMHO, be a customer service nightmare if it were in "pure form" (that is, total non-refundability) in the NEC because of the aforementioned issues...in some cases, you'll basically force people to a "walk up to the counter and pray" approach. I do this on occasion, but only on the (relatively lightly-traveled compared to further up in the line) NPN-WAS sector. The trains are never sold out through Richmond, and very rarely through Washington, so it works, but in the WAS-NYP section of the line? Ha...ha...no.

I'll add a caveat in here: I do think that some tweaking makes sense in terms of putting a penalty on not canceling pre-travel (say, uniformly applying the 10% penalty, adding another 10% penalty to any post-travel date cancellations, or applying partial blackouts at peak seasons when the trains do sell out on a widespread basis). Right now, if I wanted to play a malicious prank, at least in theory I could partially book up a NE Regional on the day before Thanksgiving and "release" the reservations in such a way as to lock it into the high bucket...or I could simply lock up a short segment (say, WAS-BAL), not dump the reservations, and make a beautiful hash of the busiest travel day of the year and cost Amtrak a lot of through reservations only to cash the tickets out later.

I don't like that this makes sense, but it does...at least on routes close to filling up (which, more and more, is most of the system). On lightly-traveled segments/routes, though, a "loose" refund policy makes more sense...if nothing else, Amtrak gets to sit on the money in the interim.

Oddly, a thought does come to mind...how would this work with "unreserved coach" seats?

I'm not sure if ARROW could handle that; it may be able to, I'm just not sure.

I haven't if that will happen, but it is a possibility. The bigger reason for this change is simply to stop people from booking 2 or 3 trains hedging their bets as to which train they'll actually be able to catch and preventing Amtrak from selling those seats.

Alan,

Might it make more sense to simply limit the number of tickets per day that can be "redeemed" to one per route per direction (i.e. when you go to turn the ticket(s) in, they'll check, see the multiple reservation, and void out any extras without a refund)?

If it can handle the "new" E bucket non-refundable regional fares, I would think that they'd be able to.
I haven't if that will happen, but it is a possibility. The bigger reason for this change is simply to stop people from booking 2 or 3 trains hedging their bets as to which train they'll actually be able to catch and preventing Amtrak from selling those seats.
IF I understand it correctly, you'll still be able to get a 100% voucher - which, if you're savvy enough to pull a trick like that, you probably travel Amtrak enough that the voucher is "same as cash" for you (I would think, maybe I'm way off base).

Might it make more sense to simply limit the number of tickets per day that can be "redeemed" to one per route per direction (i.e. when you go to turn the ticket(s) in, they'll check, see the multiple reservation, and void out any extras without a refund)?
The problem is connecting the reservations. Obviously they don't want to cancel a ticket for John Smith because there's another John Smith on an earlier train. They could also link the tickets by other information such as phone number or credit card, but a savvy person could get around that too.

Alan,

Aside from the fact that it's more work for the agents, people would just refund one ticket this week and another next week.

If it can handle the "new" E bucket non-refundable regional fares, I would think that they'd be able to.
That's not a "new" bucket, they just changed the terms on how that bucket works. And that bucket still otherwise works normally, in that it sells first, followed by the next, etc. This requires selling a bucket out of sequence or normal order. That I'm not sure is possible.

Although I suppose that they could in theory create a new "class", similar to BC/FC to perhaps work around the problem. But then you'd have to always block off X seats for that class and you would be unable to sell them normally.

IF I understand it correctly, you'll still be able to get a 100% voucher - which, if you're savvy enough to pull a trick like that, you probably travel Amtrak enough that the voucher is "same as cash" for you (I would think, maybe I'm way off base).
My understanding is that failure to cancel before departure will result in loss of all value for that ticket. Again, this is not yet set in stone to my knowledge; so things could change. But I would urge everyone reading this to always be sure to cancel a reservation before the train departs if you're not going to make it.

if you're not going to make it.
Not take a train!
ohmy.gif

I may have to restart my heart!
tongue.gif

Alan,

Aside from the fact that it's more work for the agents, people would just refund one ticket this week and another next week.
I think alanh got this one on the head. There's almost always a way around things unless you make the rules tight to the point of inconvenience...but tying things to a credit card number, phone number, or even an AGR number would certainly cut down on the nonsense. I think making it impossible to have two "simultaneous" reservations under the same name with an overlapping # (that is, reservations that have you on two different trains at the same time) would cut down on a lot of this.

Edit: And yes, I travel Amtrak enough that a voucher is the same as cash.

Thank you, Alan, for the clarification/explanation ... glad to know I am still doing it the correct way ... "as of today".

I will see if there is any change. I printed my ticket in advance for a NEC trip, but unexpectedly made an earlier train. I was 2 minutes after the ticket window closed, so I used Quik Trak to buy a separate ticket then called USA Rail to cancel. The agent said the 10 pct fee would apply to an exchange as well as a refund. I'll find out for sure when I bring it in to a ticket window.

That 10% on exchange wouldn't make any sense, when you can just ask for a voucher and get 100%. Then turn right around and use that voucher to buy another ticket. So unless they're changing all policies, that agent was wrong.

That 10% on exchange wouldn't make any sense, when you can just ask for a voucher and get 100%. Then turn right around and use that voucher to buy another ticket. So unless they're changing all policies, that agent was wrong.
I finally got around to exchanging it and they did indeed give me 100% value, so there was no policy change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back