Amtrak Coach discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm Takeing an under the weather personal pod. Folding flat they are made with pop-out frame wire, are approximately 30 inches high. Covering you as you sit on all 4sides with clear vinyl walls, With a little sewing I put a zipper in the side of the front door and can now open wide to get out of my seat. A scarf thrown over the top offers privacy for a good sleep. Fits inside a small walkers seat and folds flat when your done, no weight, not bulky so we will see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230507_104818936.jpg
    IMG_20230507_104818936.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230507_105126604_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230507_105126604_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
I really wish Amtrak would sell you the adjoining seat. Nothing is more uncomfortable and awkward than sharing a seat with no armrest with a stranger on an overnight train.
The main objection to selling the adjoining seat is that other passengers may think that it's just hogging. That isn't a real problem at lower occupancy rates. My dad's experience with excursion trains was that over 80% occupancy = trouble. Interestingly, a study of church development found that at 80% or greater occupancy in a religious service, growth would slow to a stop. Visitors might not return. With Amtrak trying for airline load factors -- and occasionally going over 100% -- the chances of airline style behavior regarding a perceived empty seat would be high.

That said, Greyhound and Flixbus are now offering adjacent seat booking for a fee. They also offer seat selection for a minor fee. My test of this on Greyhound found one driver who knew about the new feature and one who did not, even though my ticket showed the seat reservation. Applying that to Amtrak's inconsistencies, one can picture a conductor with an overloaded train demanding that an adjacent seat be occupied.

If Amtrak were to adopt the practice, a special hatcheck mark-up might help.

The train I'm on coming up in June, coach seats only have lower level open. Looks like I'll have a companion seated next to me upper level.

A pet peeve of mine is staff use of dining car and cafe car seats, especially on the NEC. I understand the need for ONE table for their paperwork, etc., but I have found as many as TWELVE seats taken by (2 or 3 or 4) crew!
Another pet peeve is the coach car attendant blocking off so many seats for "crew" on long haul trains when no crew ever sits in them for the entire 2-day trip. Meanwhile, all the other passengers are crammed together even though there are many seats open.

Another pet peeve is the coach car attendant blocking off so many seats for "crew" on long haul trains when no crew ever sits in them for the entire 2-day trip. Meanwhile, all the other passengers are crammed together even though there are many seats open.
A symptom of the total lack of onboard supervision.

And seldom, if ever, sits in the Seats they block out for themselves!

Most times you'll find them in the "Crew Lounge" ( aka the Diner/Cafe)or hiding out in their Room!

I have a two night coach ticket, getting on in Longview TX to Chicago. I booked upper level, will I be assigned a seat? I see only lower level seats are available if you book today. I'm assuming all the upper level are sold.

How do I improve my chances of getting a good seat in a coach car on Amtrak? Should I get to the waiting room early? Should I run ahead of everyone else?

How do I improve my chances of getting a good seat in a coach car on Amtrak? Should I get to the waiting room early? Should I run ahead of everyone else?
Varies widely based on where the train originates and if the station has red caps that will "pre board" passengers. At NYP I do this all the time, but it is not available at most stations. At some, you can line up at a gate early rather than sit in a waiting room.

Varies widely based on where the train originates and if the station has red caps that will "pre board" passengers. At NYP I do this all the time, but it is not available at most stations. At some, you can line up at a gate early rather than sit in a waiting room.
Yeah, be at the front of the line if there is one.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between someone who has a medical necessity to use 2 seats versus someone who wants it for their comfort or privacy. Especially when our tax dollars are subsidizing it.
Around 5% of my trips have been completely sold out, so how does the other 95% leaving money on the table reduce subsidies?

Don't travel during busy travel periods. :)
This is great advice for retirees but is not as helpful for working age folks.

Last edited:
Most travelers would not do yield analysis. They are way more likely to be annoyed with the possibility of their tickets costing more because second seats were purchased at low buckets. Whether or not the impact on financials is not a real concern is probably way less important than the perception.

Nor sure where to post this, but I’m sure mods will put it where it belongs.

I don’t travel by train much any more 😰 but I do have a chance for a day trip soon btwn Chicago and St. Louis. I’m not up to date on which types or models or styles of coaches Amtrak uses on that route. I assume some are newer than others, some nicer than others, etc. Can anyone here point me to something I can read ahead of time on the subject, either here or at Amtrak.com? I haven’t found much there but maybe I just didn’t drill down deep enough.

Thx.

If they let you on the platform early, then knowing where the train actually stops, and where the doors will open, is key. Position yourself near a train door. If at a smaller station, the station master will probably know, if you want a particular car or set of cars. The ticket takers at 30th St. Philadelphia, who scan your ticket before letting everyone down to the platform, usually know what platform letter various cars stop at. They all have an interest in boarding people quickly, so they usually know where the coaches are, sleepers, business class, cafe, etc. All that said, some coaches are already full, so you might want to ask which cars are more likely to have seats. You can ask the conductors who are at the doorways helping people get on, if any. Sometimes they even holler things like "plenty of seats at the front of the train." Usually it is the front. (Northeast Corridor anyway.)

Sorry to say on LD west trains you are at mercy of the car attendant or conductor doing seat assignmentsl. It's a crapshoot either you end up with another 6 foot 6 350 pound guy like myself or a small kid that won't sit still. I always hope to end up with someone whom doesn't mind sharing the two seats being creative can mean an awesome night sleep with right seat mate. Best night I had was on the Zephyr my seat mate was more than willing to do my proven sleeping position for a nights sleep he thanked me for the best sleep on a train he's ever had. Depends on the person as to the best outcome.

Sorry to say on LD west trains you are at mercy of the car attendant or conductor doing seat assignmentsl. It's a crapshoot either you end up with another 6 foot 6 350 pound guy like myself or a small kid that won't sit still. I always hope to end up with someone whom doesn't mind sharing the two seats being creative can mean an awesome night sleep with right seat mate. Best night I had was on the Zephyr my seat mate was more than willing to do my proven sleeping position for a nights sleep he thanked me for the best sleep on a train he's ever had. Depends on the person as to the best outcome.
OK you have to tell us. Perhaps a sketch or "sleep selfie" would help.

I like to keep a running list of Amtrak’s equipment. This morning on the Gallup, NM cam, I saw a coach that I didn’t know existed, 34200. The normal numbering for coaches is from 34000-34139, with the Coast Starlight business converts numbering 345XX and the coach/cafe cars 35001-35011. Does anyone have any information on this car? Is It maybe a coach that was sold to California and then repurchased?

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.png
    IMG_1261.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 0
Back