Amtrak Coach discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- If you have a row of seats to yourself, it would theoretically be possible to sleep on the floor between rows of seats. However, you would need to be smaller in stature. Your car attendants may or may not allow it; to be honest I've never seen anyone try it before. I can say, though, that the attendants will not allow you to sleep on the floor in the aisle or in the handicap-accessible area.
I have seen a passenger sleeping on the floor in the unoccupied wheelchair space. I suppose the conductor would know whether anyone will be boarding for the handicapped seat during the night.

I road coach from Longview to Chicago, train was full. My seatmate was okay, we talked a lot. But I couldn't get comfortable, I'm used to sleeping in a recliner so that wasn't a problem. It was the train horn all night long, seams like TX has a lot of crossings. Next leg was Chicago to Utica NY, packed again, must have been an Amish convention going on. The Amish wasn't a problem they are very respectful but having another seatmate was rough. He had a service dog and either he was farting or his dog. I'd travel again if I had the seats to myself.

I road coach from Longview to Chicago, train was full. My seatmate was okay, we talked a lot. But I couldn't get comfortable, I'm used to sleeping in a recliner so that wasn't a problem. It was the train horn all night long, seams like TX has a lot of crossings. Next leg was Chicago to Utica NY, packed again, must have been an Amish convention going on. The Amish wasn't a problem they are very respectful but having another seatmate was rough. He had a service dog and either he was farting or his dog. I'd travel again if I had the seats to myself.
I take earplugs (and a sleep mask) with me. Taking a sleep aid will also help. A small pillow behind my back for lumbar support, one to rest my head against the window if I get the window seat. A light blanket. When I’m ready to sack out, I have a small overnight bag I can take to one of the larger bathrooms to change into sweatpants and slippers, as well as do a little washup.

I had tried an inflatable footstool to stick between the footrest and the seat ahead to try to provide more of a bedlike surface, but being a taller guy, it didn’t work unless I didn’t have a seatmate and could use it with the other seat, then stretch out. A shorter person may be able to use it regardless.

I had a herniated disk in my back in 1996 and 1997 with much pain, but I was able to sleep OK in Amtrak seats both during the day and overnight. In fact, on one daytime trip my back was hurting when I boarded a train in Fredericksburg, Va., and it felt better when I got off in Boston after 9 hours in an Amfleet I seat. However, what felt OK to me might not feel OK to you. Putting a small travel pillow under my lower back for extra support in an Amtrak seat helps me.

Two people traveling together in Coach is worlds better than a solo traveler saddled with a seatmate. I usually travel alone and do my best to avoid Coach overnight. If only Amtrak would allow you to buy the seat next to you to keep it empty and if a roomette was more reasonably priced for at least the overnight hours.

I ll be traveling on the Capitol Limited from Pittsburgh to Chicago in December. I did a bid up both directions for a reasonable $150. Poor chance of being accepted,but $396 for the eleven hour ride with only one flex meal is a poor value and I

Hi there,

I am taking the Amtrak from LA to NYC on Friday and have had back problems for the last 6 months or so. I respond well to moving around so I figured Amtrak would be a good option so I can get up and stretch/walk without inconveniencing a lot of people. My reservation is in coach (which was booked before I injured my back).

While things are better with my injury, I do wonder how comfortable the seats are in coach for sleeping. Are you able to sleep in the observation decks/sleep on the ground in coach (below our seats perhaps)? Our train is 80% full so it seems like it'll be pretty packed but I am concerned about this.
I don't think ability to sleep can be predicted by others. It simply depends on you. I cannot sleep in coach and can barely sleep in a roomette. Others sleep like babies in coach. I've seen some folks really struggle in coach trying to sleep, changing into every position imaginable and still not succeed. I simply plan on not sleeping and play on my phone. Going in knowing that helps me prepare mentally for the situation.

My experience from walking through coaches is that often people are able to curl up lying down across two seats and when I once went by coach I had no problem reclining and stretching out to sleep with a lady next to me in the window seat. Any time of year I'd recommend a blanket (in winter I may use my overcoat) and a towel or sweater to roll up for back support can be helpful.

Hi there,

I am taking the Amtrak from LA to NYC on Friday and have had back problems for the last 6 months or so. I respond well to moving around so I figured Amtrak would be a good option so I can get up and stretch/walk without inconveniencing a lot of people. My reservation is in coach (which was booked before I injured my back).

While things are better with my injury, I do wonder how comfortable the seats are in coach for sleeping. Are you able to sleep in the observation decks/sleep on the ground in coach (below our seats perhaps)? Our train is 80% full so it seems like it'll be pretty packed but I am concerned about this.
I rode from southern California to NYC recently, being in coach Chicago to NYC and Chicago to southern California. I don't have back problems. Sleeping in coach wasn't the best but I survived. I slept 3 or 4 hours at night and then napped on and off during the day. I was next to people both coach segments. I'd do it again if I had to but prefer a sleeper.
If you are leaving Los Angeles on 11/3, there is still a roomette available right now per Amtrak website.

I have a travel voucher expiring this January for a trip that went South in terms of service on a Thruway Bus.

So I booked the One Way Flex (Booked Amtrak LMY to San Jose) and it's only $9 with the voucher in Coach. If for some reason the Cost line is closed due to El Nino I have a Delta First Class flight from Albuquerque using miles or if I decide I am too tired to take the train in Coach I can fly or vice versa.

If I cancel my Flexible Fare I am assuming they will reissue my voucher and extend it for a year or fully refund it to my credit card.

How is the Coach Dinning in the Dining Car in terms of pricing is it still $20 for Breakfast $25 for Lunch and $45 for dinner and can I pay with a card?

I assume it's best to go to the Cafe Car for Breakfast and Lunch and Dinner in the Diner .

I booked the lower level seats.

Thanks

I have a travel voucher expiring this January for a trip that went South in terms of service on a Thruway Bus.

So I booked the One Way Flex (Booked Amtrak LMY to San Jose) and it's only $9 with the voucher in Coach. If for some reason the Cost line is closed due to El Nino I have a Delta First Class flight from Albuquerque using miles or if I decide I am too tired to take the train in Coach I can fly or vice versa.

If I cancel my Flexible Fare I am assuming they will reissue my voucher and extend it for a year or fully refund it to my credit card.

How is the Coach Dinning in the Dining Car in terms of pricing is it still $20 for Breakfast $25 for Lunch and $45 for dinner and can I pay with a card?

I assume it's best to go to the Cafe Car for Breakfast and Lunch and Dinner in the Diner .

I booked the lower level seats.

Thanks
Dinner is the best value as it includes an appetizer, the main course, dessert and an alcoholic beverage. Ordering the steak makes it comparable to a restaurant’s pricing.

Hello, I've done one night in coach a number of times, so here's some tips:

- If the Amtrak website shows your train as 80% full, all that means is that for at least one station-to-station segment during the train's entire run, occupancy will be in the range of 80-90%. That doesn't mean the train won't be 80-90% full for numerous station-to-station segments, but it also doesn't mean it will. If you're taking the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago, generally there is heavier ridership from LA to Albuquerque and Kansas City to Chicago, with a dip in ridership from Albuquerque to Kansas City. Of course this is dependent on particular trains, time of year, etc.

I have ridden a "100% full" Lake Shore Limited train from New York City to Chicago (end to end) that was probably 50% full by the time we reached Chicago.

- If you have a row of seats to yourself, it would theoretically be possible to sleep on the floor between rows of seats. However, you would need to be smaller in stature. Your car attendants may or may not allow it; to be honest I've never seen anyone try it before. I can say, though, that the attendants will not allow you to sleep on the floor in the aisle or in the handicap-accessible area.

- Bring some towels or put your packed clothes in some plastic bags or garbage bags to act as lumbar support in your seat. I've been doing back PT for a couple years and this generally works for me for one overnight.

- If your train has an observation car (this isn't likely given Amtrak's equipment constraints), some conductors allow people to stay overnight in the observation car; some do not. It's hit and miss. However, I doubt they would allow you to occupy the floor.
This is useful info for me-in April 2024 1 night (coach) on coast starlight from LA to Seattle and the return trip 14 days later. The price for a roomette (1 night sleep & some meals) for this ride is overpriced for me. Any other hints appreciated.

Dinner is the best value as it includes an appetizer, the main course, dessert and an alcoholic beverage. Ordering the steak makes it comparable to a restaurant’s pricing.
The prices you listed were accurate as of October this year from LA-Chicago SW chief & Chicago to LA Texas Eagle. Yes, persons used credit cards. I agree with Sidney about the best value would be Dinner.

This is useful info for me-in April 2024 1 night (coach) on coast starlight from LA to Seattle and the return trip 14 days later. The price for a roomette (1 night sleep & some meals) for this ride is overpriced for me. Any other hints appreciated.

The prices you listed were accurate as of October this year from LA-Chicago SW chief & Chicago to LA Texas Eagle. Yes, persons used credit cards. I agree with Sidney about the best value would be Dinner.
My advice if planning on dining in the diner, get a late reservation so you can sit awhile an converse with other diners without getting railroaded out before you’re entirely ready to leave. Good luck.

Back