Amtrak Coach discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't afford a roomette as I usually take from CHI to NYP but I'm scared to death of Coach. Screaming babies, rude passengers, people on their cells all night, and people talking loudly. Am I wrong to be weary of Coach?
Do i have to stay in the seat or can I go to an observation car and hang out there?
No need to be worried about any of the things you mentioned.

But, you might having a problem with sleeping well. The seats are large, comfy and lots of leg room. Even so, many people can't get much sleep - more from the somewhat upright position, not from excessive noise or rude passengers.

Myself, I am fine with one night in coach, but not sure I'd want to do it two nights in a row.

And, YES you can get up and walk around the train! It is encouraged. Spend time in the cafe car, the observation car and eat in the dining car if it is permitted on your train. When I travel coach I probably only spend maybe 20% of the daylight hours in my seat.

I rode Amtrak overnight in coach many times, and on three-day trips I always slept fine on the second night. Things changed for me once almost everybody had a cell phone. I'm a light sleeper, and in my experience, there was always somebody who would not shut up, even in the middle of the night. I used earplugs when commuting on VRE because the announcements were so loud that I could hear them clearly even with earplugs. In Amtrak coach, though, I would worry about missing announcements. Fortunately, by the time cellphones were everywhere, the Guest Rewards program was rewarding me, and I've had enough points to travel in sleeping cars on my rare overnight trips.

And, YES you can get up and walk around the train! It is encouraged. Spend time in the cafe car, the observation car and eat in the dining car if it is permitted on your train.
There is no observation car on the Lake Shore Limited, and I believe the dining car still is open only to sleeper passengers. But there is a lounge car with tables where coach passengers can seek refuge, although the crew usually occupies several of the tables.

You could wear the same clothes you would wear sleeping in an airport terminal. I've slept in coach and it gets very cool at night, even in the summer, so a lot of people would recommend a fleece throw or blanket.
What were those things they sold on TV years back, a 'snuggie' or something? A blanket with sleeves. If you have one of those it might work. You can kick off your shoes, too.

What are the pros and cons of traveling Coach on Amtrak? I'm thinking of taking the Lake Shore Limited in Dec to NYC from Chicago. Coach has an attractive $90.00 price.

I've done this exact trip in coach.

Much of it depends on how full the train is. My NYP-CHI trip, my car at least was no more than 50% full and probably less. As a result, it was quiet and peaceful, and I had a full row to myself (and no one nearby).

I've ridden the LSL ROC-CHI with the train 100% full, and it can feel a bit claustrophobic or stuffy.

Pros: free time all to yourself. You can read, watch a movie, sleep, drink, whatever you want. See parts of the country you ordinarily don't see. Work from home on the train.

Cons: it's hard to sleep in the seats. It can get quite cold regardless of time of year (so prepare for it). People on cell phones, at times, have no respect. The crew will not do anything about this. Not a lot of free space outside of your seat - the cafe seating is limited at best. Sometimes the toilets stop working, and the on-board crew doesn't seem particularly interested in solving the problem.

It seems like more bad than good...but really for one night it's not too bad.

Pro-tip: get off in Albany (long station break) and get some exercise in. I walk the platform for a good 25-30 minutes to get the blood flowing. It helps break up the journey.

If your trip is in early December chances are you can get both seats (oh how I miss business class!). Makes all the difference in the world.

I rode the LSL in coach back in October 2018 and I will be doing so again next month (unless I win an upgrade via bidup). I agree with most everything said, but I will say that on my trip in 2018, the car was too warm instead of being too cold, so be prepared for that situation too. I plan on packing shorts and a t-shirt for this reason.

We just (Oct 10-12) went across MO and back (Kirkwood to Lee's Summit). As we began to move we realized we wanted to sit facing forward but that half of the coach was occupied, so we moved to the next one and had plenty of space. (Other passengers seemed stuck where they were, though a few savvy ones did what we did. Two coaches were beyond ours but had nobody at all.) Ben, who 'took' (QR) tickets was so courteous! Why seats had (non-working) buttons is a mystery because, being one piece, they cannot recline. Thanks to the 3 armrests folding up I was able to lie across empty seats for a while. The pull-down tray's nice. The Amtrak site has the wrong hours for train schedules! It also says Lee's Summit lacks restrooms but it doesn't and they are very nice, although they were unlocked only when we arrived early Tuesday afternoon (Oct 10). When we returned to watch a couple of trains and when we departed about 4:45 (Oct 12) they were locked. The train's restrooms are about 5 or 6 times the size of airplane ones and aisles & seating are so much nicer. Kirkwood Station is great and volunteers are so good, but we heard that Jefferson City's volunteers quit after being completely snubbed at a recent ribbon-cutting ceremony. Things there used to be so good. A real station there is needed. On the return trip the car's several roughly 5 or 6" x at least 30" screens mounted on the aisle ceiling had many changing visuals (taking a while before repeating). Content ranged from current speed (plus a couple other unrelated things) to one with Rail Safety Week at one end and 'Caltrans' at the other. IL DOT showed up but not MO DOT (and our train wasn't the one that also comes & goes from Chicago). 'Siemens' name showed up a good bit, including one screen with text along bottom not being readable owing to how it jerked or something. Temperature on train was just right and never drafty. Returning we had over twice as many passengers on the train but again went to a largely empty coach. So many people detrained at Kirkwood that multiple exit points were available.

I can't afford a roomette as I usually take from CHI to NYP but I'm scared to death of Coach. Screaming babies, rude passengers, people on their cells all night, and people talking loudly. Am I wrong to be weary of Coach?
Do i have to stay in the seat or can I go to an observation car and hang out there?
I took this trip on the LSL in August. I was up half the night probably because is been in a sleeper the previous 2 nights. The car was quiet. The break in Albany is nice. One can easily walk 30 or more minutes there on the platform. I went into the station but it was packed with people waiting for other trains. That could have been on my return trip from NYC to Chicago. I just recall the station being very full one of the times. The ride along the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers is beautiful.
One night on coach isn't bad. I rode 2 nights Chicago to LA and that was more irksome.

On the Facebook page, some posters have indicated that traveling by coach in winter (February) is problematic as the train is cold inside and unbearable on long multiple night trips.

Having never traveled by train in the USA, on a budget, considering purchasing a rail pass and finding scenic routes, using the 10 segments allowed.

At 75, in good health, but is it a good idea? By coach?

On the Facebook page, some posters have indicated that traveling by coach in winter (February) is problematic as the train is cold inside and unbearable on long multiple night trips.

Having never traveled by train in the USA, on a budget, considering purchasing a rail pass and finding scenic routes, using the 10 segments allowed.

At 75, in good health, but is it a good idea? By coach?
I am a few years younger than you are and I would not travel overnight in coach. For me, winter would not be the problem, but coach would be the problem.

Before trying a multiple night trip, I would try a shorter one night trip and see how you do. There are some that say the first night is the worst. There are some that say that they sleep OK in coach. I am a light sleeper and sleeping in coach is problematic for me - especially if I am sitting next to a stranger.

I'm in my early 40s and coach overnight is....unappealing to me. Napping for a few hours? Done that. Overnight though? Ehhhh.

Conversely, my late 60s parents did a grand loop around the country in coach and didn't bat an eye at it.

In my 70's I've continued to ride Coach and occasionally buses overnight. There are plenty of other seniors doing the same thing, especially when alternatives are worse. I do dislike the current attempt to imitate the airlines with every seat full. There is plenty of evidence on YouTube that load factors over 80% create stress.* That shouldn't apply to private room sleepers. The best idea is to try both classes.

* So far, you can get an idea of the load factor from the Amtrak website. Unless it's an emergency, I wouldn't recommend a first-time overnight coach trip if it's showing over 65% full a month before the trip.

And where does my 80% come from? My dad organized excursion trains in the 1950's and 1960's and he had noticed that there was usually trouble of some sort when loads were over 80%. Years later I found that a well-regarded researcher of church development, Kennon L. Callahan, found that a church with a sanctuary that was over 80% full discouraged further growth.

So, some of the poor experiences in coach involve full seats end to end. Take that into consideration when reading different accounts of trips. There isn't just one generic experience.

I'm in my early 40s and coach overnight is....unappealing to me. Napping for a few hours? Done that. Overnight though? Ehhhh.

Conversely, my late 60s parents did a grand loop around the country in coach and didn't bat an eye at it.
Two people traveling together in Coach is worlds better than a solo traveler saddled with a seatmate. I usually travel alone and do my best to avoid Coach overnight. If only Amtrak would allow you to buy the seat next to you to keep it empty and if a roomette was more reasonably priced for at least the overnight hours.

I ll be traveling on the Capitol Limited from Pittsburgh to Chicago in December. I did a bid up both directions for a reasonable $150. Poor chance of being accepted,but $396 for the eleven hour ride with only one flex meal is a poor value and I will not do it.

Hi there,

I am taking the Amtrak from LA to NYC on Friday and have had back problems for the last 6 months or so. I respond well to moving around so I figured Amtrak would be a good option so I can get up and stretch/walk without inconveniencing a lot of people. My reservation is in coach (which was booked before I injured my back).

While things are better with my injury, I do wonder how comfortable the seats are in coach for sleeping. Are you able to sleep in the observation decks/sleep on the ground in coach (below our seats perhaps)? Our train is 80% full so it seems like it'll be pretty packed but I am concerned about this.

Hi there,

I am taking the Amtrak from LA to NYC on Friday and have had back problems for the last 6 months or so. I respond well to moving around so I figured Amtrak would be a good option so I can get up and stretch/walk without inconveniencing a lot of people. My reservation is in coach (which was booked before I injured my back).

While things are better with my injury, I do wonder how comfortable the seats are in coach for sleeping. Are you able to sleep in the observation decks/sleep on the ground in coach (below our seats perhaps)? Our train is 80% full so it seems like it'll be pretty packed but I am concerned about this.
Amtrakbaddie, I'm so sorry about your back injury. And with your departure just two days away (right?) you need to make a decision fast. Im a smallish woman without back trouble so I don't feel qualified to chime in. Others might give more useful tips/advice especially with more information:
  1. What's your itinerary? LA to NYC could be any number of combos, and AU members would know which trains do and do not have observation cars. Are you breaking your journey for a decent night's sleep in, e.g., Chicago or San Antonio? Or just barreling right through?
  2. Are you traveling solo? As others have mentioned, it's hard to sleep next to strangers, and with 80% occupancy, you're likely to face that.

I'm quite sure it's impossible to sleep under your seat. I've seen people sleep on the floor of an observation car (as well as in the seats). Personally that squicks me out because the carpet is filthy, filthy.

Hi there,

Quite often train crews will remove all sleeping passengers from the lounge cars, especially the floors, since it is a safety hazard. I would not count on being able to sleep anywhere other than your seat. Is it possible to upgrade your reservation to a room?

Hi there,

Hello, I've done one night in coach a number of times, so here's some tips:

- If the Amtrak website shows your train as 80% full, all that means is that for at least one station-to-station segment during the train's entire run, occupancy will be in the range of 80-90%. That doesn't mean the train won't be 80-90% full for numerous station-to-station segments, but it also doesn't mean it will. If you're taking the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago, generally there is heavier ridership from LA to Albuquerque and Kansas City to Chicago, with a dip in ridership from Albuquerque to Kansas City. Of course this is dependent on particular trains, time of year, etc.

I have ridden a "100% full" Lake Shore Limited train from New York City to Chicago (end to end) that was probably 50% full by the time we reached Chicago.

- If you have a row of seats to yourself, it would theoretically be possible to sleep on the floor between rows of seats. However, you would need to be smaller in stature. Your car attendants may or may not allow it; to be honest I've never seen anyone try it before. I can say, though, that the attendants will not allow you to sleep on the floor in the aisle or in the handicap-accessible area.

- Bring some towels or put your packed clothes in some plastic bags or garbage bags to act as lumbar support in your seat. I've been doing back PT for a couple years and this generally works for me for one overnight.

- If your train has an observation car (this isn't likely given Amtrak's equipment constraints), some conductors allow people to stay overnight in the observation car; some do not. It's hit and miss. However, I doubt they would allow you to occupy the floor.

Back