Amtrak confirms new sleepers, baggages, diners will be Viewliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that the Hiawatha corridor is the busiest out of Chicago, they'll probably be the first to get the bi-levels so as to increase capacity. Of course that will kill the cart service currently in use, so hopefully they'll get a cafe car.
How long are the current Hiawatha trainsets? I might be misremembering, but I thought I'd heard something last summer about how they'd recently added a third coach or something like that. If the trainsets are just a P42 and three coaches and a cabbage, I'm not sure there's much need to switch to bi-level cars.
Hiawatha's run with either 5 or 6 cars.
Would it make sense to find another P42 and cabbage and split the coaches into another trainset and add some more frequencies?

I'm pretty sure most of the freight traffic on that line doesn't terminate or change crews in Lynchburg; making Lynchburg an engine change point for everything would be a huge operations investment for NS,
Why stop the electrification at Lynchburg, then?

not to mention the cost of investing in a fleet of electric power, etc.
I would expect the freight railroads probably buy a quantity of new locomotives every year somewhere vaguely around 3% of the size of their total fleet. If they electrify their entire system over a number of years equal to the typical lifespan of the typical locomotive, and simply start buying electrics instead of diesels, then the cost of locomotives is only a real issue if electrics are more expensive than diesels.

On the other hand, if our goal is to do something major to petroleum consumption in 10 years instead of 30, maybe cost of locomotives becomes a bigger issue. But maybe we should start with the 30 year plan, since getting people to go along with that will be enough of a challenge right there.

And looking at current passenger electric locomotive prices probably isn't a good way to estimate whether electrics will be more expensive than diesels, since IIRC the freight railroads buy in much larger quantities than the passenger railroads and so should get better prices because of that.

The Viewliner coffee pots have always been a favorite example of mine. ;)
These are commercial grade coffee makers, and while sleeper passengers help themselves to the coffee, it is the "trained" attendants who actually make the coffee. Therefore, I can't understand why it is so very difficult for Amtrak to keep these coffee makers working!

I do indeed like the Viewliner design. I sure hope Amtrak leaves it basically intact, and focuses on only the quality and durability of the materials used, for "fit and finish", for any of their changes.
Which coffee pot are you talking about, the metal ones of the new automatic push the button ones? If you're referring to the metal ones where the attendant's actually made the pot of coffee, they didn't go away because they were too hard to keep them working. They went away for safety reasons.

If you're referring to the automatic ones, which were added later to replace the metal pots, those Amtrak is having a hard time keeping working.

Considering that the Hiawatha corridor is the busiest out of Chicago, they'll probably be the first to get the bi-levels so as to increase capacity. Of course that will kill the cart service currently in use, so hopefully they'll get a cafe car.
How long are the current Hiawatha trainsets? I might be misremembering, but I thought I'd heard something last summer about how they'd recently added a third coach or something like that. If the trainsets are just a P42 and three coaches and a cabbage, I'm not sure there's much need to switch to bi-level cars.
Hiawatha's run with either 5 or 6 cars.
Would it make sense to find another P42 and cabbage and split the coaches into another trainset and add some more frequencies?
Well right now Amtrak is able to handle the current schedule with two trainsets. I believe that adding another frequency would require a third trainset. Now if they can add several frequencies, that might make sense. But if they're going to tie up an entire trainset for just one extra trip, I'm not so sure that's a good use of equipment, especially if greater capacity can be achieved by using bi-level cars.

And then there is still the issue of trying to squeeze any extra runs in between CN's freights and METRA's commuter runs.

The Horizons are junk, Jackal. They are commuter coaches, and should be used as such. They'll probably be relegated to services like the Hiawatha, if they aren't sold to starting commuter railroads outright.
Just curious! How often do you ride the Horizon cars? Granted the seat pitch is nothing like the LD superliners, and that some AU'ers object to the exterior surface material. However, maybe it's just good track, but in my experience, the ride quality is fine.
Sitting here in fly-over country, I don't care if they came from NJT or Timbucktu. I'm thrilled (and apparently others are -- if the number cars parked in our recently expanded station parking lot are any indication -- to be able to hop on the train to Chicago and have access to the whole system.

All I do is hope and pray that the Broadway Limited comes back. And maybe a Silver Palm.
Won't argue with you there.

The Horizons are junk, Jackal. They are commuter coaches, and should be used as such. They'll probably be relegated to services like the Hiawatha, if they aren't sold to starting commuter railroads outright.
Just curious! How often do you ride the Horizon cars? Granted the seat pitch is nothing like the LD superliners, and that some AU'ers object to the exterior surface material. However, maybe it's just good track, but in my experience, the ride quality is fine.
Sitting here in fly-over country, I don't care if they came from NJT or Timbucktu. I'm thrilled (and apparently others are -- if the number cars parked in our recently expanded station parking lot are any indication -- to be able to hop on the train to Chicago and have access to the whole system.

All I do is hope and pray that the Broadway Limited comes back. And maybe a Silver Palm.
Won't argue with you there.
I've ridden in a "Horizon" car only once. I've ridden in its first cousin, the Comet II, more times than I can count.

I have been stuck with the horizon cars here in the Midwest for several years. I don't like them. BC is ok because of the better seats. As noted in other threads, the horizons perform poorly in winter. Additionally, I think the design of the sinks in the bathrooms are ridiculous. One must push up on the bottom of the faucet to get water to come out. When you release, the water flow stops. Naturally, the water sprays all over the passenger and the floor.

I think the bi-level California cars/surfliner cars would be great. Especially if they have the food service cars like on the San Joaquin trains to Bakersfiled. I remember sit down table service on those trains when I rode a few years ago. An upgrade to catering would help too. The caterer in california had a nice selection of food on the capitol corridor trains when I rode two years ago.

Well right now Amtrak is able to handle the current schedule with two trainsets. I believe that adding another frequency would require a third trainset. Now if they can add several frequencies, that might make sense. But if they're going to tie up an entire trainset for just one extra trip, I'm not so sure that's a good use of equipment, especially if greater capacity can be achieved by using bi-level cars.

And then there is still the issue of trying to squeeze any extra runs in between CN's freights and METRA's commuter runs.
I think the issue is squeezing the extra runs in between the other trains using the track.

While I would be thrilled to have bi-level cars and hopefully a cafe car, my order of preference would be this:

- More frequencies. At least double what we have now, which is every two hours or so. We need a train to Chicago every hour.

- Faster speed. Upgrading the track from 79 to 110 mph will cut the journey time from 89 minutes to 64 minutes.

- Better cars. It would be pretty nice to have tables available.

Hopefully the Horizons are on their way out though, because it appears as though the Hiawathas will be extended for the MIL to Madison service, and then eventually to MSP. The future service to Green Bay could/would also be an extension of the Hiawatha.

I have been stuck with the horizon cars here in the Midwest for several years. I don't like them. BC is ok because of the better seats. As noted in other threads, the horizons perform poorly in winter. Additionally, I think the design of the sinks in the bathrooms are ridiculous. One must push up on the bottom of the faucet to get water to come out. When you release, the water flow stops. Naturally, the water sprays all over the passenger and the floor.
I think the bi-level California cars/surfliner cars would be great. Especially if they have the food service cars like on the San Joaquin trains to Bakersfiled. I remember sit down table service on those trains when I rode a few years ago. An upgrade to catering would help too. The caterer in california had a nice selection of food on the capitol corridor trains when I rode two years ago.
Many, many other Amtrak cars have that sort of "push up" sink faucet. I never paid too much attention, but from what I can immediately remember, non refurbished amfleet bathrooms and viewliners definitely have them. You do have to develop a sort of knack to keep yourself dry. IIRC the newer amfleet bathrooms (I and II) and refurbished Superliner sleepers have a more functional sink.

But I do agree with you that Horizons don't belong on any Amtrak train, especially in winter.

Many, many other Amtrak cars have that sort of "push up" sink faucet. I never paid too much attention, but from what I can immediately remember, non refurbished amfleet bathrooms and viewliners definitely have them. You do have to develop a sort of knack to keep yourself dry. IIRC the newer amfleet bathrooms (I and II) and refurbished Superliner sleepers have a more functional sink.
Viewliners have levers you push down on to get water. This has the added benefit that you can actually control the temperature, rather than being stuck with scalding water as sometimes happens with the push up style. Also, in addition to hot and cold, the Viewliners have ice water.

I would certainly hope that if they add a third trainset they'd have that third trainset make about as many trips each day as each of the first two trainsets do. But I don't really know the details of the track capacity situation.

Cailifornia Car is the first-generation coach that was built by Morrison Knudson. Surfliner is the second-generation coach built by Alstom.
If you want to get technical, yes, the first order of California Cars made in the 90's was indeed made by Morrison Knudson. These were subsequently rebuilt by Siemens, if I recall correctly.

The second order of California Cars were made by Alstom. These were made after the Surfliner cars. The cars were delivered in 2001-2002. They are similar, but not identical to the Surfliner cars, as they were built for the Capitol Corridor service. For example, I have yet to find a place to put a surfboard on a California car (rarely a problem, I might add).

The second order of California Cars were made by Alstom. These were made after the Surfliner cars. The cars were delivered in 2001-2002. They are similar, but not identical to the Surfliner cars, as they were built for the Capitol Corridor service. For example, I have yet to find a place to put a surfboard on a California car (rarely a problem, I might add).
That's not really correct. Alstom delivered more Surfliners in 2002 some of which went to the Capital Corridor and the San Jaoquins. I'm not certain on whether those cars that went to the CC/SJ services are exactly the same as the Surfliners, or modifications were made to those cars destined for the CC/SJ services.

Cailifornia Car is the first-generation coach that was built by Morrison Knudson. Surfliner is the second-generation coach built by Alstom.
If you want to get technical, yes, the first order of California Cars made in the 90's was indeed made by Morrison Knudson. These were subsequently rebuilt by Siemens, if I recall correctly.

Pacing Alan's comments, there are only two series: California Cars (in the 8000 series) were M-K builds and delivered beginning 1996. They have onboard bicycle racks. Surfliner cars (in the 6000 series) have a different interior design, were Alstom builds, and were delivered in 2001-2002. They have onboard bicycle and surfboard racks. California Cars are used exclusively on the San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor routes; none are found on the Surfliner route. Surfliner cars are used almost exclusively on the Surfliner route, but a few cars are used on the SJ/CC routes.

To sum-up: if it's an 8000-series, it's a M-K California Car; if it's a 6000-series, it's an Alstom Surfliner car.

Which coffee pot are you talking about, the metal ones of the new automatic push the button ones? If you're referring to the metal ones where the attendant's actually made the pot of coffee, they didn't go away because they were too hard to keep them working. They went away for safety reasons.
If you're referring to the automatic ones, which were added later to replace the metal pots, those Amtrak is having a hard time keeping working.
Gosh, I seem to recall having more than just two types of coffee makers in the Viewliners over the years. Though, honestly, I wasn't keeping notes on model numbers, etc. :D

However, I do remember "metal ones" being there, but not working. Did Amtrak disconnect the "metal ones", but leave them installed for a while? If so, I could be miss-remember that as a broken (non-functioning) coffee pot.

I do remember once having a non-working coffee pot in my Viewliner, and attempting to use the coffee maker in another Viewliner (which I pass by, on the way to the dinning car). The attendant in that other Viewliner got extremely upset at me for daring to help myself to "his coffee". In all my years, that was the only time I had ever encountered a really nasty attendant. Hay, it wasn't like I was a coach passenger attempting to steal a fee cup of coffee or something.

I have been stuck with the horizon cars here in the Midwest for several years. I don't like them. .... Additionally, I think the design of the sinks in the bathrooms are ridiculous.
How could I have forgotten them? Dumbest thing I've ever seen. I guess it's what they call selective memory.

Hopefully the Horizons are on their way out though, because it appears as though the Hiawathas will be extended for the MIL to Madison service, and then eventually to MSP. The future service to Green Bay could/would also be an extension of the Hiawatha.
I've heard mentions of a future Duluth service, but this is the first I've heard of future Madison service. What stage is the Madison proposal at? What's the earliest such service could start? 2014 or so?

Gosh, I seem to recall having more than just two types of coffee makers in the Viewliners over the years. Though, honestly, I wasn't keeping notes on model numbers, etc. :D

However, I do remember "metal ones" being there, but not working. Did Amtrak disconnect the "metal ones", but leave them installed for a while? If so, I could be miss-remember that as a broken (non-functioning) coffee pot.

I do remember once having a non-working coffee pot in my Viewliner, and attempting to use the coffee maker in another Viewliner (which I pass by, on the way to the dinning car). The attendant in that other Viewliner got extremely upset at me for daring to help myself to "his coffee". In all my years, that was the only time I had ever encountered a really nasty attendant. Hay, it wasn't like I was a coach passenger attempting to steal a fee cup of coffee or something.
Yes, I believe that there was a period of time where Amtrak had disconnected the metal pots as they were working to install the automatic ones or at least had decided to stop fixing the metal ones when they did break, since they were shifting to the automatic ones.

But at least in my experience the metal ones were far more reliable than the new automatic ones.

And that other attendant was dead wrong for being upset with you, unless he thought that you had come from the coaches.

Yes, I believe that there was a period of time where Amtrak had disconnected the metal pots as they were working to install the automatic ones or at least had decided to stop fixing the metal ones when they did break, since they were shifting to the automatic ones.

But at least in my experience the metal ones were far more reliable than the new automatic ones.

And that other attendant was dead wrong for being upset with you, unless he thought that you had come from the coaches.
"his coffee" so he thought that it was for employees only. boy is he asking for a pink slip.

That would be possible with 75 Viewliners. The Twilight Shoreliner could also come back. I was playing with the numbers:

Silver Meteor: 4 consists, 2 sleepers per consist (8). TOTAL=8

Silver Star: 4 consists, 2 sleepers per consist (8). TOTAL=16

Silver Palm: 4 consists, 2 sleepers per consist (8). TOTAL=24

Crescent: 4 consists, 2 sleepers per consist (8). TOTAL=32

Cardinal (daily): 3 consists, 2 sleepers per consist (6). TOTAL=38

Broadway Limited: 3 consists, 2 sleepers per consist (6). TOTAL=44

Lake Shore Limited: 3 consists, 3 sleepers per consist (9). TOTAL=53.

Twilight Shoreliner: 2 consists, 1 sleeper per consist (2). TOTAL=55.

Spares: NYP (6), BOS (1), CHI (3), NOL (1), MIA (3). TOTAL=69

Out for maintenance: 6.

GRAND TOTAL: 75

Let me try my numbers:

My numbers are for the use of ALL long distance cars, and operates on the assumption of fulfillment of only the current order.

Silver Service: 10 consists Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (10) TOTAL=10

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (30) TOTAL=30

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (10) TOTAL = 10

Amfleet II Lounge: 1 Lounge per consist: (10) TOTAL=10

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (40) TOTAL=40

Since we have three runs, I'm sure they can easily interline. Actually, I was going to do 9 consists, but I'll be generous- I'll make it 10. These numbers operate on the assumption that the Silver Palm is included in the plan- your number asked for was 12.

Crescent: 4 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (4) TOTAL=14

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (12) TOTAL=42

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (4) TOTAL = 14

Amfleet I Cafe: 1 Cafe per consist: (4) TOTAL=4

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (12) TOTAL=42

Cardinal (daily): 3 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (3) TOTAL= 17

Viewliner Sleepers: 1 sleepers per consist (3) TOTAL=45

Amfleet II Diner/Lite: 1 Diner/Lite per consist: (3) TOTAL=3

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (12) TOTAL=54

Honestly, given this trains short size, it really doesn't need the diner. If the baggage is a dorm, as we suspect, then the Cardinal will be getting extra capacity through that alone.

Broadway Limited: 3 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (3) TOTAL=20

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (9) TOTAL=54

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (3) TOTAL = 17

Amfleet II Lounge: 1 Lounge per consist: (3) TOTAL= 13

Amfleet II Coach: 5 Coaches per consist: (12) TOTAL=69

Lake Shore Limited: 3 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 2 Baggage per consist (6) TOTAL=26

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (6) TOTAL=60

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (3) TOTAL = 20

Amfleet II Lounge: 1 Lounge per consist: (3) TOTAL= 16

Amfleet II Coach: 6 Coaches per consist: (18) TOTAL=87

Twilight Shoreliner: 2 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (2) TOTAL= 28

Viewliner Sleepers: 1 sleeper per consist (2). TOTAL= 62

Maple Leaf: 2 consists

Amfleet II Diner/Lite: 1 Diner/Lite per consist: (3) TOTAL=6

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (8) TOTAL=95

Palmetto: 2 consists

Amfleet II Diner/Lite: 1 Diner/Lite per consist: (3) TOTAL=9

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (10) TOTAL=103

Spares:

Spare Viewliners: NYP (2), CHI (2), NOL (1), MIA (2). TOTAL=69

Spare Diners: NYP (1), CHI (1), NOL (1), MIA (1) TOTAL = 24

Spare Amfleet II food service: None- cafe's can easily sub for lounge cars.

Spare Amfleet II coach cars: NYP (4) CHI (2) MIA (2), NOL (1) TOTAL= 112

A spare at Boston isn't that important since one can get there in a few hours on the back of a Regional.

Sleepers out for maintenance: 6

Diners out for maintenance: 1

Amfleet II Food service out for maintenance: 1- again, sub a Cafe

Amfleet II Coach cars out for maintenance: 4

Totals equal present cars except for AMFII food service cars.

Note: My numbers assume the Palmetto and Pennsylvanian goes to Amfleet Is and continues to operate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me try my numbers:
My numbers are for the use of ALL long distance cars, and operates on the assumption of fulfillment of only the current order.

Silver Service: 10 consists Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (10) TOTAL=10

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (30) TOTAL=30

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (10) TOTAL = 10

Amfleet II Lounge: 1 Lounge per consist: (10) TOTAL=10

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (40) TOTAL=40

Since we have three runs, I'm sure they can easily interline. Actually, I was going to do 9 consists, but I'll be generous- I'll make it 10. These numbers operate on the assumption that the Silver Palm is included in the plan- your number asked for was 12.

Crescent: 4 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (4) TOTAL=14

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (12) TOTAL=42

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (4) TOTAL = 14

Amfleet I Cafe: 1 Cafe per consist: (4) TOTAL=4

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (12) TOTAL=42

Cardinal (daily): 3 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (3) TOTAL= 17

Viewliner Sleepers: 1 sleepers per consist (3) TOTAL=45

Amfleet II Diner/Lite: 1 Diner/Lite per consist: (3) TOTAL=3

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (12) TOTAL=54

Honestly, given this trains short size, it really doesn't need the diner. If the baggage is a dorm, as we suspect, then the Cardinal will be getting extra capacity through that alone.

Broadway Limited: 3 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (3) TOTAL=20

Viewliner Sleepers: 3 sleepers per consist (9) TOTAL=54

Viewliner Diner: 1 Diner per consist: (3) TOTAL = 17

Amfleet II Lounge: 1 Lounge per consist: (3) TOTAL= 13

Amfleet II Coach: 5 Coaches per consist: (12) TOTAL=69

Lake Shore Limited: 3 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 2 Baggage per consist (6) TOTAL=26

Twilight Shoreliner: 2 consists

Viewliner Baggage: 1 Baggage per consist (2) TOTAL= 28

Viewliner Sleepers: 1 sleeper per consist (2). TOTAL= 62

Maple Leaf: 2 consists

Amfleet II Diner/Lite: 1 Diner/Lite per consist: (3) TOTAL=6

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (8) TOTAL=95

Palmetto: 2 consists

Amfleet II Diner/Lite: 1 Diner/Lite per consist: (3) TOTAL=9

Amfleet II Coach: 4 Coaches per consist: (10) TOTAL=103

Spares:

Spare Viewliners: NYP (2), CHI (2), NOL (1), MIA (2). TOTAL=69

Spare Diners: NYP (1), CHI (1), NOL (1), MIA (1) TOTAL = 24

Spare Amfleet II food service: None- cafe's can easily sub for lounge cars.

Spare Amfleet II coach cars: NYP (4) CHI (2) MIA (2), NOL (1) TOTAL= 112

A spare at Boston isn't that important since one can get there in a few hours on the back of a Regional.

Sleepers out for maintenance: 6

Diners out for maintenance: 1

Amfleet II Food service out for maintenance: 1- again, sub a Cafe

Amfleet II Coach cars out for maintenance: 4

Totals equal present cars except for AMFII food service cars.

Note: My numbers assume the Palmetto and Pennsylvanian goes to Amfleet Is and continues to operate.
Wouldnt the Silver Palm run in place of the Palmetto? I think thats how it used to be when it ran, but I could be wrong. That would free up some more cars.

Yes, the Silver Palm would replace the Palmetto. Actually, it would really be a re-extension of the Palmetto back to Miami, and upgrading the train's amenities to include sleeper and full dining service (standard on all Silver Service trains), so it would re-assume the name Silver Palm.

Yes, the Silver Palm would replace the Palmetto. Actually, it would really be a re-extension of the Palmetto back to Miami, and upgrading the train's amenities to include sleeper and full dining service (standard on all Silver Service trains), so it would re-assume the name Silver Palm.
Not on my railroad. On my railroad, the Palmetto would be a day train running between New York and Savannah, whilst the Silver Palm would be running that overnight and then taking the line from Jacksonville to Tampa and then Miami.

Lake Shore Limited: 3 consists Viewliner Baggage: 2 Baggage per consist (6) TOTAL=26

Um, you've got a problem with the math here, 3 sleepers times 3 consists equals 9, not 6.

I disagree. Typically when one needs the spare the most is right before departure when you discover that something is wrong with an existing car and you can't fix it fast enough for an ontime departure. So if the LSL is about to depart in a hour, there won't be enough time to get a sleeper from Sunnyside up to Boston.

I'm confused, you say that you're assuming that the Palmetto goes to AMF I's, yet you counted it in your list with AMF II's. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back