Amtrak Deodorizer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say for sure, but I believe Amtrak purchases the hand soap in the lav's from Celeste Chemical's of Easton, Md.

Those are those inverted, screw-down dispenser's contains their "Flite-Luxe" soap--also used by several airlines.

Could be from the same company, but not at all sure...

What is the air freshener that Amtrak uses? I love the smell of Amfleet 2s and its always the same consistent smell in each car.
I also can't answer as to the scent,if any, used on Amfleets but on the Superliner Trains the good SCAs have Fabreze in the Bathrooms for those that arent pigs to help keep the Cars liveable!( some people's allergies are bothered by this and other scents)

In the sleepers, I have seen a few SCAs put out a non descript odorizer they bought some place like Walmart or Costco, to help keep the bathrooms decent. I see the SCA clean up the bathrooms, but minutes later they can be smelly and a mess. Just takes one uncaring person to ruin things for everyone.

There's a couple different things going on to produce the "Amtrak Smell". The overhead air returns have air fresheners in them. The scent is called Fresh Rain from Ecolab. There is also something sprayed on the carpets during cleaning which I think contributes to the majority of the smell, though I'm not sure what it is. It's usually quite strong when leaving the initial terminal and wears off to a more tolerable level after a few hours enroute (or my olfactory nerve just gives up. :D )

Recently, SEA-PGH on the EB and CL, the restroom in the sleepers I was in had Febreze Gain-scented (blue can) spray cans on the shelf. Anyone can use it, but I suspect most don't. The SCA probably does.

I use this exact same product at home for both air freshening and laundry before/after the dryer so it's a very favorable and familiar scent to me.

Does Amtrak supply this, or do SCAs take it upon themselves? It would tend to cut down on complaints, and bought in bulk or at a dollar store would be affordable.

I've also seen Glade "linen" scent solid air fresheners on Amtrak, but only a couple times. Very similar to the Febreze scent before they joint ventured with Gain.

I remember when passenger trains smelled like heavy high-sulfur diesel fuel. Not old enough to recall the smell of coal and steam, except on museum trains.

So far as I can tell there are at least seven distinct odors/fragrances that combine to create AmScent.

1 Amtrak Air Freshener

2 Amtrak Carpet Cleaner

3 Amtrak Sink Soap

4 Amtrak Flushing Detergent

5 Amtrak Linoleum

6 Amtrak Fabric/Foam

7 Amtrak Particulate Exhaust

I've detected similar smells elsewhere but the only place I've found all seven is on Amtrak.

To me, the AmScent is a mix of air conditioning/cooling and the bathrooms. Every time I'd pick up my boyfriend after he traveled to come see me, I could smell it on his clothes. I can smell it on my clothes whenever I arrive somewhere as well. For that reason, I shower and change ASAP.

I'm really not sure how else to describe it, but it's the same no matter which LD train I take.

I do love the soap, though. It's sort of a cherry-almond smell with maybe a hint of vanilla.

To me, the AmScent is a mix of air conditioning/cooling and the bathrooms. Every time I'd pick up my boyfriend after he traveled to come see me, I could smell it on his clothes. I can smell it on my clothes whenever I arrive somewhere as well. For that reason, I shower and change ASAP.

I'm really not sure how else to describe it, but it's the same no matter which LD train I take.

I do love the soap, though. It's sort of a cherry-almond smell with maybe a hint of vanilla.
Yum, Yum! :p

I just sent the following message to Amtrak, NARP, and Midwest High Speed Rail:

I'm back on I-55 until you stop using Fabreze or air fresheners in the Lincoln Service coaches (Chicago - St. Louis). We finally got rid of tobacco smoke only to have it replaced by the unhealthy and offensive odor of these products.

I'm with you there. Those air "freshener" chemicals smell horrible to me and they're probably not that healthy to inhale either. Supposedly one the primary reasons we hear that indoor air is worse quality than outdoor air is because of all the various chemical cleaners we use. But I guess it's easier to soak everything with industrial fragrances rather than clean it up or vent it out.

I'm back on I-55 until you stop using Fabreze or air fresheners in the Lincoln Service coaches (Chicago - St. Louis). We finally got rid of tobacco smoke only to have it replaced by the unhealthy and offensive odor of these products.

I'm with you there. Those air "freshener" chemicals smell horrible to me and they're probably not that healthy to inhale either. Supposedly one the primary reasons we hear that indoor air is worse quality than outdoor air is because of all the various chemical cleaners we use. But I guess it's easier to soak everything with industrial fragrances rather than clean it up or vent it out.
I agree with both of you. I am allergic to Febreeze and am quite distressed when it is used on trains or hotel rooms.

Even though I'm not allergic to Febreeze ( which SCAs pay for out of their own pocket IINM), ANY substance that is used to cover up annoying and unhealthy smells on trains should be banned!

Cleaning the Bathrooms regularly is part of the OBS job and using Bleach might be a good compromise!(I'm no Chemist,what say those knowledgeable in this area?)

The SCA was kind enough to remove the Glade plug-in from the hallway when I mentioned I have asthma, but the Febreze stayed in the washroom.

I really wish perfumes, air fresheners, and the like could be banned like cigarettes, but that's a HUGE uphill battle. Really, if people could learn to use just a *touch* of perfume and not reapply it every two hours, it would be much better. People forget that they become immune to the smell, so they reapply even though they don't need to.

The worst is when someone sprays a load of perfume on themselves after smoking. :angry:

I really wish perfumes, air fresheners, and the like could be banned like cigarettes, but that's a HUGE uphill battle. Really, if people could learn to use just a *touch* of perfume and not reapply it every two hours, it would be much better. People forget that they become immune to the smell, so they reapply even though they don't need to.
I, personally, have a very poor sense of smell. You're what I refer to as "a canary". That's not a derogatory term. It just describes someone who is highly sensitive to odors and vapors that few other people even notice. When I worked onboard ships there would be members of my team that would get splitting headaches if someone so much as opened a can of paint at the other end of the ship. We ended up having one of them fitted with a carbon-filter respirator just so that she could do what amounted to office work. Mariners can't be sensitive about paint. Painting is absolutely necessary to keep the ship working. People self-select out of the profession if they can't handle it.

There are people who are highly allergic to peanuts. I think just about any substance has someone who is highly allergic to it. I've known people who were highly (i.e. anaphylactic shock) allergic to mustard, rosemary, avocado, corn, egg, wheat, pepper and many other items. The problem is that we can't just ban peanuts, mustard, rosemary, corn, eggs, etc. At some point the affected individual has to sort out a modus vivendi that allows them to function, as best they can, in the world as it is. I really do understand the issue, and sympathize. I have a relative who can't visit anyone else's house because they all have (or have had) a fur-bearing pet. She'll get an asthma attack if a dog just walks by her in the park.

The question is, "What should the rest of society be forced to forgo for the benefit of a few?" Keep in mind that the poor abused smokers have already been banned in most public settings. Is it reasonable to ban rosemary? What about fur bearing pets in public places? What happens when someone can't go into a restaurant because someone else has a guide dog or "emotional support" animal?

I, personally, have a very poor sense of smell. You're what I refer to as "a canary". That's not a derogatory term. It just describes someone who is highly sensitive to odors and vapors that few other people even notice. When I worked onboard ships there would be members of my team that would get splitting headaches if someone so much as opened a can of paint at the other end of the ship. We ended up having one of them fitted with a carbon-filter respirator just so that she could do what amounted to office work. Mariners can't be sensitive about paint. Painting is absolutely necessary to keep the ship working. People self-select out of the profession if they can't handle it.

There are people who are highly allergic to peanuts. I think just about any substance has someone who is highly allergic to it. I've known people who were highly (i.e. anaphylactic shock) allergic to mustard, rosemary, avocado, corn, egg, wheat, pepper and many other items. The problem is that we can't just ban peanuts, mustard, rosemary, corn, eggs, etc. At some point the affected individual has to sort out a modus vivendi that allows them to function, as best they can, in the world as it is. I really do understand the issue, and sympathize. I have a relative who can't visit anyone else's house because they all have (or have had) a fur-bearing pet. She'll get an asthma attack if a dog just walks by her in the park.

The question is, "What should the rest of society be forced to forgo for the benefit of a few?" Keep in mind that the poor abused smokers have already been banned in most public settings. Is it reasonable to ban rosemary? What about fur bearing pets in public places? What happens when someone can't go into a restaurant because someone else has a guide dog or "emotional support" animal?
It's not just a few, and not just "canaries." I don't have an allergic reaction to perfumes, "air fresheners" etc. but I really hate to smell them. An important part of our full experience of life is being able to smell what things really smell like. Subtle things, like exactly what your food smells like, are overwhelmed by pervasive artificial fragrances.

There is also something sprayed on the carpets during cleaning which I think contributes to the majority of the smell, though I'm not sure what it is. It's usually quite strong when leaving the initial terminal and wears off to a more tolerable level after a few hours enroute (or my olfactory nerve just gives up. :D )
I, too, thought most of the smell, was attributable to the carpet cleaning. You might not like the odor, but think of it simply confirming that the carpet has been recently cleaned.

I think "canary" is a cute term. I didn't take any offense to it. :) I've only ever heard it used in reference to "canary in a coal mine", so that was an interesting lesson.

I agree with both of you. I am allergic to Febreeze and am quite distressed when it is used on trains or hotel rooms.
Railroad cars aren't easily vented (since most of the windows don't open and leaving the end doors open invites critters) and the smells often get trapped in the ventilation system. The best time to vent them is when they are on the move but passengers often complain and it also impacts the HVAC system.

It's not just a few, and not just "canaries." I don't have an allergic reaction to perfumes, "air fresheners" etc. but I really hate to smell them. An important part of our full experience of life is being able to smell what things really smell like. Subtle things, like exactly what your food smells like, are overwhelmed by pervasive artificial fragrances.

Yes, I really prefer the subtle smells of take out food bought before boarding, mixed with feet (since the shoes are kicked off to aid relaxation) and the nail polish now being applied (while relaxing, of course) to an artificial air freshener. The only thing that may beat that combo is the smell that occurs a few hours after the take out food has been digested.....while rocking on a train.

It's natural though.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, those smells (other than the nail polish) don't exacerbate asthmatic and allergic reactions. :p But I get what you're saying.

Honestly, to answer Don's point about being responsible for our own allergies, I tend to bring a scarf with me (a "fashion" scarf, not a winter scarf), and if the smells get too overwhelming, I wrap it around my neck like a normal scarf and then hold part of it over my face.

I try to be subtle about it and stare out the window or at my book. Most people probably figure I'm either sick or getting ready to sleep (kind of like slouching down into a hoodie). I really don't care, to be honest, because unlike them, I'm not bothering anyone. I do the same thing on buses and subways.

If I'm on a LD train, I'm in a roomette, so it's fairly moot. I can close my door to keep the perfume out while people are getting ready in the morning.

At work, I keep a fan on my desk and point it at my face. It helps move the stuffy, stale, perfumed air around.

I think a lot of people truly are unaware that they're wearing too much scent because they get used to the smell and reapply every two hours. I also blame places like Bath & Body Works, who load up their products with WAY too much perfume. My coworker has scented hand sanitizer from them, and when she puts on even the smallest dab, you can smell it all the way across the room.

As much as I love the smell of bonfires, apple pie, fresh rain, and citrus fruits, I would happily give up my sense of smell. If I had to choose to lose one sense, that would be the one. :)

/vent over /sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back