Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC the origin of Flexible was because one was allowed to go and get food anytime without bothering about waiting to get a seat at a table and such. It had not much to do with the inflexibility of the menu, which incidentally was much worse when it originally started.

Everytime I had flex dining I was given a choice of times,just like traditional. Big difference was I looked forward to the traditional dining.

Never sure why the name flexible was used.

Everytime I had flex dining I was given a choice of times,just like traditional. Big difference was I looked forward to the traditional dining.

Never sure why the name flexible was used.
IIRC again, what actually got implemented was nothing like how it was described, which is completely par for the course at Amtrak as we know.

I was on the Coast Starlight earlier today in Business Class (actually only Los Angeles to Oxnard for a day trip) but while onboard the Dining Car LSA in his main announcement about lunch he not only never mentioned Business Class access but he effectively implied that Business Class passengers don't have access (he made an announcement to the effect of "the option for Business and Coach passengers is the Café") I was in the Sightseer when reservations likely would've been taken (as I wouldn't have time to eat) so I don't know whether Business Class passengers were offered reservations, but if someone was potentially interested that announcement might have caused some to just give up and go hang out in the Sightseer (and possibly in fact get lunch from the Café) and they wouldn't have gotten lunch in the Dining Car. As an aside, he later was making announcements that basically came off similarly to a parent scolding a child for not requesting ice cream soon enough (I guess people were requesting reservations after he had already come through, but there was probably a better way to make that announcement.)

I was on the Coast Starlight earlier today in Business Class (actually only Los Angeles to Oxnard for a day trip) but while onboard the Dining Car LSA in his main announcement about lunch he not only never mentioned Business Class access but he effectively implied that Business Class passengers don't have access (he made an announcement to the effect of "the option for Business and Coach passengers is the Café") I was in the Sightseer when reservations likely would've been taken (as I wouldn't have time to eat) so I don't know whether Business Class passengers were offered reservations, but if someone was potentially interested that announcement might have caused some to just give up and go hang out in the Sightseer (and possibly in fact get lunch from the Café) and they wouldn't have gotten lunch in the Dining Car. As an aside, he later was making announcements that basically came off similarly to a parent scolding a child for not requesting ice cream soon enough (I guess people were requesting reservations after he had already come through, but there was probably a better way to make that announcement.)
In my experience they mentioned business class a few times, but not much. However the LSA came through the business car to take reservations.

In my experience they mentioned business class a few times, but not much. However the LSA came through the business car to take reservations.
The Business Class attendant never mentioned Dining Car access either (unless he was handling that while I was in the Sightseer) but I figured the Dining Car LSA would just explain access in his announcement. Was the Business Class attendant supposed to do more?

Another example of OBS Staff doing it their way! This should be reported to Customer Relations!

Unfortunately, with Amtrak you kind of have to know your own benefits (like Dining Car access).

They have a lot of great employees, but management’s record on employee training is not great and a small minority of employees will conveniently “forget” duties or customer benefits if it makes their life easier.
I ride the Pacific Surfliner in Business Class where you get a snackbox and drink in the afternoon / evening (you get a muffin and breakfast drink in the morning although I've only ridden twice in the morning in the past year even though I've done the afternoon / evening several times recently) and the service is really inconsistent. Sometimes I get the snackbox and drink quickly after boarding. Sometimes they come right before I get off. Sometimes I have to find the attendant. I returned from Oxnard (after the Coast Starlight ride - day trip today) and I got the snackbox fairly quickly but then had to go find the attendant for the drink. One time the attendant was just relaxing in a vacant seat and the conductor gave them to me right before I stepped off at my destination after complaining (and yes, the attendant got a complaint to Amtrak and the conductor got praise.) There needs to be more of an effort to ensure excellent, consistent service (at least the services provided on the specific train) to at all times

I travelled on the Cardinal in a roomette last week and had three meals on it. I read a lot of the discussions about traditional vs flexible dining and tried to keep an open mind. The salmon was okay, but the enchiladas and the french toast were extremely disappointing.

I do want to point out: I loved the overall trip experience and will definitely try to find ways of doing more trips like this, and I don't have an issue with the flexible dining principle in general, but the quality of the meals was extremely disappointing. It reminded me of below-average airline food on long-haul flights. For economy class flights it might be acceptable, but considering the prices Amtrak charges for roomettes and bedrooms and the premium segment they're aiming, I am seriously wondering if they are aware of what product they're selling.

I travelled on the Cardinal in a roomette last week and had three meals on it. I read a lot of the discussions about traditional vs flexible dining and tried to keep an open mind. The salmon was okay, but the enchiladas and the french toast were extremely disappointing.

I do want to point out: I loved the overall trip experience and will definitely try to find ways of doing more trips like this, and I don't have an issue with the flexible dining principle in general, but the quality of the meals was extremely disappointing. It reminded me of below-average airline food on long-haul flights. For economy class flights it might be acceptable, but considering the prices Amtrak charges for roomettes and bedrooms and the premium segment they're aiming, I am seriously wondering if they are aware of what product they're selling.
I don't think any Amtrak executive has ever tried anything on the flex dining menu.

In January 2019 I was rudely made aware, after boarding a PHL to Tampa train, that there was no dining car. Had to race to the food court in DC and buy junk food just to have something to eat that night.

I understand that now only Western trains have dining cars. I am planning a NYP to Savannah trip, and a NYP - Chicago - Kansas City trip this year. I see mention of "flex dining." Is a dining car also available, or do do you eat in your compartment?

The loss of the dining car is, to me, tragic. It was a signature part of long distance train travel but appears to be going the way of Western Union delivery boys, elevator operators, and cigarette girls.

Is a dining car also available, or do do you eat in your compartment?
Depends. Sometimes the crew will make it room-service only, others will let you eat in the diner, I'm not sure what it depends on though. All long-distance trains still have a cafe too.

In January 2019 I was rudely made aware, after boarding a PHL to Tampa train, that there was no dining car. Had to race to the food court in DC and buy junk food just to have something to eat that night.

I understand that now only Western trains have dining cars. I am planning a NYP to Savannah trip, and a NYP - Chicago - Kansas City trip this year. I see mention of "flex dining." Is a dining car also available, or do do you eat in your compartment?

The loss of the dining car is, to me, tragic. It was a signature part of long distance train travel but appears to be going the way of Western Union delivery boys, elevator operators, and cigarette girls.

Many eastern trains oddly have a full dining car, but they only serve Flex dining, which is a sort of hit or miss TV dinner. Generally speaking, it’s not very good, though some (myself included) have claimed a few of the dishes are alright.

Western LD trains have full traditional dining and it’s good!

If you feel the loss of real dining on eastern trains is tragic, you’ve come to the right forum. We here feel very passionately about it.

Lake Shore New York Section and the Silvers have a full diner you can have your miserable flex dining meal in.

The Crescent has been downgraded to only having an Amcafe. Sleeper pax het flex from it. Not sure if they let you eat in it.

The Cardinal has an Amcafe, but it never had full dining anyway.

The Capitol has a diner/lounge (aka "CCC") mutilated from a diner. Not sure if they allow you to eat your flex meal in it.

As the above responses should make clear, there are two separate aspects at work here - what kind of food you get and what kind of 'dining car' you get to eat it in. And, it should be noted, 'real dining' is supposed to return to (at least some?) of the eastern trains, sometime in the 'near future'.

The Capitol has a diner/lounge (aka "CCC") mutilated from a diner. Not sure if they allow you to eat your flex meal in it.

The Capitol has had the CCC for many years, even before they downgraded to flex dining. When they had real dining, I found no real difference between the CCC and a full dining car.

On my last trip on the Capitol (October 2021) they served us our flex meals in the CCC if we wanted it. They also let us hang out there and use it as a lounge during the trip, which partly made up for the lack of a Sightseer lounge. I also rode the Capitol in coach last June, and I was allowed to eat my cafe food at the tables in the cafe end of the CCC.

Reactions: Cal
Has anyone been on the Cardinal recently? I'm curious to know if they allow eating in the dining car/cafe or have you take it back to your room.

Yes, I have been travelling on the Cardinal from DC to Chicago two weeks ago. It was possible to eat in the cafe car, but I wasn't offered it until I asked if it's possible. The sleeping car attendant took my order at my roomette and when I went to the cafe car at the time of my dinner they just brought the ordered meal to my table. They asked everyone from the sleeper car to sit on "the other" side of the cafe, the one closer to the coach cars (I don't know for sure how it's been done in the past but I thought I read that sleeper passengers sit on one side of the cafe car and coach passengers on the other).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back