Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of my favorites is a red chowder (fish, usually haddock very spiced red chowder, potatoes) ALSO the cllasssic Manhattan Clam Chowder - very spicey, like vegetable soup - found at Jones Beach NY concessions.
Sounds good, although talking about Manhattan clam chowder up here in New England is considered heresy 😀. I believe at one time the Downeaster had clam chowder (the proper kind) on its menu. I'll have to check and see the next time I take it which should be in March.

Sounds good, although talking about Manhattan clam chowder up here in New England is considered heresy 😀. I believe at one time the Downeaster had clam chowder (the proper kind) on its menu. I'll have to check and see the next time I take it which should be in March.
Oo cool! It's not listed on the current menu on the Downeaster website. I'll report in a couple weeks when I take it for the first time.

Booking the $20 roundtrip on the DownEaster expires 2/25/22.

I am planning a DownEaster trip by 2/28 and will ask the LSA if anything was added to the Orange menu. It will be just a day trip to Portland. I’ll prolly have breakfast and dinner onboard.

withholding blizzards the $4 parking it’s Haverhill is best for me.

Last edited:
The state of Maine demanded their own food for the Downeaster; it has a completely different menu from the entire rest of Amtrak, and the state gets what it pays for.

Downeaster food is VERY GOOD and I would be overjoyed if every Amtrak cafe car had the Downeaster food

Regarding the Downeaster, there have been a series of contractors providing the food service over the years, some better than others, but they've all put more emphasis on regional fare. And they've all had a really good service culture. In terms of the menu, some have offered basically sandwiches and snacks, and others have offered hot breakfast and lunch entrees that have been quite good. For trips that involve the Downeaster as well as corridor trains or the Lake Shore Limited, which would include many of my family's trips to Maine, having a different menu on the Downeaster is really welcome just for variety's sake.

Other state-supported trains have unique menus as well. Amtrak California used to have really good burritos. Amtrak Cascades used to have a second staff member who served a few “cooked on board” items like oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch / dinner. They also featured some fancier entrees and local drinks.

And of course the Piedmont trains give complimentary bottled water and coffee to all passengers and offer vending machines for snacks. That works well for the shorter trip lengths.

I remember on a couple of morning runs on the Cascades having some really great cinnamon rolls that were produced by a Seattle-area bakery. The coffee was superior too.

@Rambling Robert I was thinking of getting one of those whoopie pies, are they good?

The Steve’s Whoopi Pies are excellent. Fair price. Normally I don’t choose stuff with peanut butter but PB one is just like the plain whipped cream with light peanut flavor.

the price of the burrito is only $3.25 and the tortilla is very good and for the price the amount of filling was fine. If I’m near a Taco Bell I’ll try it - but for the price of two they are thinking of cheap eats for kiddies and not what I get it Tucson.

The NexDine website is open for suggestions
Here are some I’ll submit:

1. when is the blue menu starting?
.2. What routes are serviced other than DownEaster?
3. Moxie?
4. Beefier burrito?
5.LSA Wait staff?(like when cafe closed to public?
6. Wine labels?

ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS???

https://nexdine.com/
It looks like a good company.

The NexDine website is open for suggestions
Here are some I’ll submit:

1. when is the blue menu starting?
.2. What routes are serviced other than DownEaster?
3. Moxie?
4. Beefier burrito?
5.LSA Wait staff?(like when cafe closed to public?
6. Wine labels?

ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS???

https://nexdine.com/
It looks like a good company.
Yes NexDine seems decent. We had them as the caterer for the cafeteria in the office park back when I was working, in Bedford MA.

A burrito isn't exactly "regional fare" for a train running between Boston and Maine.

For about four times the price of a DownEaster Burrito (made in Massachusetts FTW) you can buy a beefier Beantown Burrito on Longwood Ave - also made in Massachusetts.

Beantown Burrito
Photo

I think if states are supporting food service on their routes they should have the same freedom to arrange catering NNEPRA does.

I think if states are supporting food service on their routes they should have the same freedom to arrange catering NNEPRA does.
I believe there is no restriction on striking whatever food service contract they like and pay for it. It is another matter what they actually do when push comes to shove.

For about four times the price of a DownEaster Burrito (made in Massachusetts FTW) you can buy a beefier Beantown Burrito on Longwood Ave - also made in Massachusetts.

Beantown Burrito
Photo
I guess those Yankees are allowed to sell burritos; I'd like to see whether they sell lobster rolls in LA or on the Pacific Surfliner. :)

I think they do. The Piedmont trains offer free bottled water and coffee for all passengers and then vending machines for soft drinks and snacks.

Other trains have local items available (Cascades, California, etc.)

I think the Michigan trains have a few Michigan items as well... I remember there being a local brand of potato chips as well as Lays available on the Wolverine.

And yes, RPA reported a few months back that the Mica rule was deleted, so there is no longer any statutory requirement that Amtrak's food service cover its own costs. Which means dining service should go back to what it has always been: an amenity that helps to attract and retain riders.
I quite agree. I think the problem with Amtrak is that they are unreasonably oriented toward the idea that excessive cost cutting is the way to financial success. I'm not against reasonable cost cutting, but not to the bone. However, I think the main problem is that Amtrak doesn't seem to look at revenue side of the equation. I think an upswing in onboard services would increase Amtrak's popularity and ridership figures. Better food and better amenities. I read, a while back, that after the Pacific Parlor Car was introduced on Coast Starlight, the Starlight had to add on more sleepers in order to provide for the popularity of the Parlor Car. But, back to cost cutting. The Starlight, at one time, had to eliminate cheese and crackers in the lounge car because of cost. (believe it or not).
Richard

Vancouvewr, BC up

The DownEaster burrito was genuine, I think. The filling was mostly refritos (retried beans) and some chipped beef in a flour tortilla. Warmed in an oven. Sour cream and hot sauce. $3.25

Lobster prices are in flux a lot. Seasonally and locally McDonalds, years ago, had a decent lobster roll. Now they don’t even have salads.

Why is it called “Flexible Dining” when it’s inflexible?

1. There is no choice of appetizer: it’s always a lettuce salad with one tomato.

2. Dessert is always either a brownie or a blonde in plastic wrap.

3. You have to eat in your room, at least on the Crescent.

4. It is delivered to you around 4pm or 4:30pm; you are not given a choice.

With regular dining cars, it was a lot more flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back