Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wear shorts to bed,so when nature calls as it usually does overnight I just grab a t shirt and venture out. If you are alone having a toilet in your room is a nice plus,but sharing the roomette with another person is tough when one has to go.

I have no compunction or problem with going to the washroom in pajama bottoms and a t-shirt in the middle of the night, and have no issue with my fellow passengers venturing out to the washroom in their chosen nightwear, either.

That's what I do as well. Nobody is going to see anything that they haven't seen before.

Has anyone had the new flex dining-based meals on Acela yet?
Jeb Brooks just released an Acela vs Air between NYC and DC. He said the Salmon was good.

On another note, the video was great, but I'm sorry to say the plane won by an hour.

Jeb Brooks just released an Acela vs Air between NYC and DC. He said the Salmon was good.

On another note, the video was great, but I'm sorry to say the plane won by an hour.
Of course, during the pandemic there are much shorter lines at the TSA. What will it be like when things are fully normalized?

He went by "Amtrak recommended" arrival time in advance but by traveler experience for the plane. Delta, e.g. recommends 2 hours before departure for domestic flights. Why didn't he go by airline recommended times since he went by Amtrak recommended time? Would have made a significant difference.

As to cost, he should have included the $59 "day rate" lounge cost when flying rather than counting that as a freebie or the allocation of a portion of the $450 fee for his credit card. He also should have included the Pre-pass cost allocation for his trip.

Of course, during the pandemic there are much shorter lines at the TSA. What will it be like when things are fully normalized?

He went by "Amtrak recommended" arrival time in advance but by traveler experience for the plane. Delta, e.g. recommends 2 hours before departure for domestic flights. Why didn't he go by airline recommended times since he went by Amtrak recommended time? Would have made a significant difference.

As to cost, he should have included the $59 "day rate" lounge cost when flying rather than counting that as a freebie or the allocation of a portion of the $450 fee for his credit card. He also should have included the Pre-pass cost allocation for his trip.
You all have very good points, and I agree. I would love to see him re-do it in normal times.

Not all airports have significantly long TSA lines in normal times. I’ve never flown out of LaGuardia but JFK has been like 5-10 minutes for me.

I liked the video. I’ll probably watch some more of his content.

Not all airports have significantly long TSA lines in normal times. I’ve never flown out of LaGuardia but JFK has been like 5-10 minutes for me.
JFK is only 5-10 minutes now? Or in normal times.

I've flown out of LAX a few times before, and in all those times it took at least 20 minutes to get through security, or longer.

JFK is only 5-10 minutes now? Or in normal times.

I've flown out of LAX a few times before, and in all those times it took at least 20 minutes to get through security, or longer.

Normal times. I’ve always had a quick time at LAX as well so maybe I’m just lucky.

Only airports where I’ve waited significantly are Atlanta, Orlando and Denver.

I liked the video. I’ll probably watch some more of his content.

I personally prefer air travel and quicker travel times with TSA PreCheck. But you will be able to get a private room which will be coming to Northeast Regional trains during the evening hours. During the pandemic, private rooms are very advantageous for obvious reasons. I don’t believe Acela or its replacement will have private rooms but it should definitely be considered in future car orders as it makes sense to have some available. Glad to see at least some coming to northeast regional trains which is a smart move.

I personally prefer air travel and quicker travel times with TSA PreCheck. But you will be able to get a private room which will be coming to Northeast Regional trains during the evening hours. During the pandemic, private rooms are very advantageous for obvious reasons. I don’t believe Acela or its replacement will have private rooms but it should definitely be considered in future car orders as it makes sense to have some available. Glad to see at least some coming to northeast regional trains which is a smart move.
I don't think theres any need to put private rooms (as in sleepers) on the Acelas. They don't run overnight, and when you DO run overnight, you don't want a super early arrival time. This would make it better for the slower regional to take the overnight runs.

A variation on the same theme, this Business Insider story compares air vs. Acela between New York and Boston. Intesrtingly, he comes to very similiar conclusions as Brooks. Flying is faster but he enjoyed the Acela experience and would gladly do it again, unless he is in a big hurry.

I am anxiously awaiting news on the fate of Flexible Dining on eastern trains. I have a trip on the LSL in October.

My hunch is that Amtrak is taking a wait and see approach to gauge travel demand and how much money they are going to need after this latest round has been used up. They may feel that they are in a better position to ask for money if they keep the cost of dining on eastern trains at the same level that they were when the pandemic first hit.

I am anxiously awaiting news on the fate of Flexible Dining on eastern trains. I have a trip on the LSL in October.

My hunch is that Amtrak is taking a wait and see approach to gauge travel demand and how much money they are going to need after this latest round has been used up. They may feel that they are in a better position to ask for money if they keep the cost of dining on eastern trains at the same level that they were when the pandemic first hit.
Makes sense.

Remember, flex dining was introduced way before covid. In June 2018 on the CL and LSL and in October 2019 on the CONO,Silver trains,Crescent and Cardinal. I would hope full dining would return on these trains,but it doesn't seem too likely. I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to have full dining on the Silver Meteor to give passengers a choice.

Amtrak should hire executive chefs like the Airlines and charge premium prices for meals. I realize you can’t cook the meals onboard but you can definitely follow the airline model for how fhe best airlines deliver quality food onboard. No need to downgrade dining when you can profit from quality wine selections, meals, and the like. You have a captive audience and the snacks and the like they generally offer are overpriced that you can get before you board. Create quality and generate more revenue.

Last edited:
Amtrak should hire executive chefs like the Airlines and charge premium prices for meals. I realize you can’t cook the meals onboard but you can definitely follow the airline model for how fhe best airlines deliver quality food onboard. No need to downgrade dining when you can profit from quality wine selections, meals, and the like.
They did that at one time. Had them create meals. Then it deteriorated to garbage. The chefs are turning over in their graves and they're not even dead yet. Just the thought of "flex" food was enough.

Normal times. I’ve always had a quick time at LAX as well so maybe I’m just lucky.

Only airports where I’ve waited significantly are Atlanta, Orlando and Denver.
I do manage to get pretty quick times most of the time. But that is often using two additional credentials - PreCheck (via Global Entry) and Clear (extra subscription). I have generally been through Orlando in 5 mins, worst case 10 mins.

I hope traditional dining will be restored on or after May when the temporary suspension is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back