Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say choice between muffin and granola bar and extra cereal... do you have to order everything? Or did you have it all delivered to your room?

The muffins, kind bars, and cereals used to be out and you could help yourself.

Just wondering if they were now more strict on the breakfast items.
Sorry for my very late response, I was out of cell service for most of the day. But it is certainly worth it, this route (CZ#5) is overwhelmingly breathtaking in several ways (beauty and height).

No, the breakfast was NOT delivered to my roomette, I went to the dining car and was served. Same for lunch (had the cod, another positive surprise), I went to the dining car and sat all alone at a table. Parties of several people are sitting together.

So I ordered the omelette which comes with a choice of muffin or Kind bar. When I was eating, the attendant asked me if I wanted anything else. I was surprised because from the menue it looked like you can EITHER get the continental breakfast OR the omelette with hasbrowns and muffin or kind bar.

So I asked if I could get raisin bran, and it got served with milk. And I asked for a 2nd orange juice, got that, too.

Sorry for my very late response, I was out of cell service for most of the day. But it is certainly worth it, this route (CZ#5) is overwhelmingly breathtaking in several ways (beauty and height).

No, the breakfast was NOT delivered to my roomette, I went to the dining car and was served. Same for lunch (had the cod, another positive surprise), I went to the dining car and sat all alone at a table. Parties of several people are sitting together.

So I ordered the omelette which comes with a choice of muffin or Kind bar. When I was eating, the attendant asked me if I wanted anything else. I was surprised because from the menue it looked like you can EITHER get the continental breakfast OR the omelette with hasbrowns and muffin or kind bar.

So I asked if I could get raisin bran, and it got served with milk. And I asked for a 2nd orange juice, got that, too.

Oh ok - that’s nice. Glad you’ve got a good crew and glad the food is decent.

Yes the scenery on the Zephyr is unbelievable. It’s my favorite by far!

It sure would be nice if Amtrak could give private room customers something approaching the same premium dining experience when they're actually on board as they do in the Metropolitan Lounge.
Is that complementary? The reference doesn't say. If it is paid, then it sounds like Amtrak is getting rid of the free stuff and charging for it as well as other things that were not available.

Is that complementary? The reference doesn't say. If it is paid, then it sounds like Amtrak is getting rid of the free stuff and charging for it as well as other things that were not available.

It would be very odd if it was paid. The food and beverage in all other Amtrak lounges are complimentary.

The reference does say.

NEW YORK – Amtrak customers now have access to complimentary premium food and beverage products in the Metropolitan Lounge at the Moynihan Train Hall in New York City...

I just saw a video of a train ride, that started at Moynihan hall, the Metropolitan Lounge had no food and he said that was due to the pandemic. I hope there is food now.

I don't think its hard to wear some type pajamas, go down the isle to the restroom. Its easier than fumbling around trying to use the commode in the roomette in the dark of the night. Unless maybe you're in the room by yourself.

I would never share a Roomette with anyone. They are far too small and I totally disagree that it is not inconvenient to have to go down the hall in the middle of the night. Furthermore I do not think shared bathrooms are a good idea with Covid - and I'm not impressed with Amtrak's hygiene standards.

I always wear shorts to bed,so when nature calls as it usually does overnight I just grab a t shirt and venture out. If you are alone having a toilet in your room is a nice plus,but sharing the roomette with another person is tough when one has to go.

Pre Amtrak's Superliner / Viewliner Roomettes, Roomettes ("Heritage Cars") were designed for ONE, not TWO people but under Amtrak standards declined. They are large enough for one person, not two.

I would never share a Roomette with anyone. They are far too small and I totally disagree that it is not inconvenient to have to go down the hall in the middle of the night. Furthermore I do not think shared bathrooms are a good idea with Covid - and I'm not impressed with Amtrak's hygiene standards.

I disagree about the shared bathrooms and Covid. The bathrooms are so small that you can bring a spray bottle of alcohol with you and easily spray every surface you're going to touch. Then, when you go back to your roomette, use hand sanitizer. Been there, done that last year.

And if you're uneasy about Amtrak's "hygiene standards" you might want to make that spray bottle a permanent part of your travel kit.

Even before Covid I always carried lots of travel Lysol wipes with me to wipe down the restroom in the car. So doing a cleaning job in their won't be any different now for me when I go on my trip in September. I also plan on spraying down the cabin, plus the knobs and handles when I board. Better safe than sorry.

I'm cool with the small roomette with my wife. It's cozy and after getting over the shock it's amazing how comfortable it is. I have noticed some travelers freaking out at first glance and making arrangements to switch to a larger room.

I'm cool with the small roomette with my wife. It's cozy and after getting over the shock it's amazing how comfortable it is. I have noticed some travelers freaking out at first glance and making arrangements to switch to a larger room.
I agree, I have taken the roomette with another person many many times. It's cozy, and it works. You're not in it for more than 60 hours if you're on the Eagle.

And I don't mind the shared bathrooms, they are in a fine condition and not too many people use them, so.

Pre Amtrak's Superliner / Viewliner Roomettes, Roomettes ("Heritage Cars") were designed for ONE, not TWO people but under Amtrak standards declined. They are large enough for one person, not two.

Heritage Roomettes feel more claustrophobic with 1 person than an Amtrak roomette feels with 2. IMHO of course.

The reason they are called “Roomette” and not room is because of how small they are. They are the “budget sleeper option” that everyone says they want.

I have noticed some travelers freaking out at first glance and making arrangements to switch to a larger room.
This was an important if overloooked aspect of discontinued outreach programs like National Train Day; giving new and infrequent customers a chance to see what to expect in person. Now they get a picture and some measurements.

Last edited:
This was an important if overloooked aspect of discontinued outreach programs like National Train Day; giving new and infrequent customers a chance to see what to expect in person. Now they get a picture and some measurements.
[/QUOTE]

A picture is worth a thousand words doesn’t hold true relating to the size of a roomette.

Last edited:
Heritage Roomettes feel more claustrophobic with 1 person than an Amtrak roomette feels with 2. IMHO of course.

The reason they are called “Roomette” and not room is because of how small they are. They are the “budget sleeper option” that everyone says they want.
Are you possibly comparing Amtrak Roomettes with Heritage Single or Double Slumbercoach rooms?
Because the Heritage standard Roomette is the same size as an Amtrak Roomette. And they only sleep one. They are comparable to a Viewliner Roomette in total volume, but are larger than a Superliner Roomette due to the latter's low ceiling. I don't find the Heritage Roomette at all claustrophobic, and really enjoyed their larger, thicker, and more comfortable 'murphy bed'...

Are you possibly comparing Amtrak Roomettes with Heritage Single or Double Slumbercoach rooms?
Because the Heritage standard Roomette is the same size as an Amtrak Roomette. And they only sleep one. They are comparable to a Viewliner Roomette in total volume, but are larger than a Superliner Roomette due to the latter's low ceiling. I don't find the Heritage Roomette at all claustrophobic, and really enjoyed their larger, thicker, and more comfortable 'murphy bed'...

No I’m comparing heritage roomette with Amtrak roomette. I agree the bed is more comfortable but yes during daytime use it feels much more like I’m stuck in a small box than an Amtrak roomette.

I’m aware that the amount of space in the box is the same, I’m saying the Amtrak design uses that space better. Again all my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back