Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope traditional dining will be restored on or after May when the temporary suspension is up.
It's CONFIRMED that traditional dining is being restored on western routes. We're talking about eastern routes, which we have no idea

I realize you can’t cook the meals onboard

You can cook the meals on board. Prior to flex dining the Amtrak kitchen was similar to most chain restaurants. A few items actually cooked from scratch and many items arrive pre-cooked that get heated up in a convection oven / steam table etc.

As was mentioned, Amtrak had several “chef inspired meals” like the Lamb, Mahi Mahi, Crab Cakes, and Pasta with Beecher’s Cheese. These were all consistently excellent in my experiences.

Remember, flex dining was introduced way before covid. In June 2018 on the CL and LSL and in October 2019 on the CONO,Silver trains,Crescent and Cardinal. I would hope full dining would return on these trains,but it doesn't seem too likely. I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to have full dining on the Silver Meteor to give passengers a choice.
Yes, but it was under a federal administration unfavorable to rail travel. Now that we have a favorable administration, there is at least hope of improvement.

I am on the CZ #5 right now and had the new omelette for breakfast. It comes with breakfast potatoes (hash browns) and a choice between a muffin or a granola bar.

I also got extra cereal with milk.

The omette wasn't bad at all, surprisingly!

I had breakfast on the CS #11 in 2019 and THAT omelette (in the traditional dining car!) was a disaster. So my expectations weren't high, but I can recommend to take this new omelette when onboard.

I am on the CZ #5 right now and had the new omelette for breakfast. It comes with breakfast potatoes (hash browns) and a choice between a muffin or a granola bar.

I had breakfast on the CS #11 in 2019 and THAT omelette (in the traditional dining car!) was a disaster. So my expectations weren't high, but I can recommend to take this new omelette when onboard.

When you say choice between muffin and granola bar and extra cereal... do you have to order everything? Or did you have it all delivered to your room?

The muffins, kind bars, and cereals used to be out and you could help yourself.

Just wondering if they were now more strict on the breakfast items.

I get to try this Breakfast Menu next week on the Texas Eagle during my first Train trip in a year, and since I like Omelettes, this is good to know! 😍( the Chefs used to make really good Western and Veggie Omelettes on the Western Trains).

These seem to be the #1 Complaints by most Amtrak fans.

Better tasting, higher quality meals with Lower Sodium and Sugar ( and probably no Garlic or Peanuts)counts is the way to go when current contracts expire!
I just discovered that all the flex meal dinners (included in our fare for a three day trip) have garlic. I have a severe garlic intolerance. If I have even a little it makes me very sick. We will not be boarding the train from home (flying in from the UK) so can't go grocery shopping prior to the trip. I'm really worried about how to handle this. Even though it means paying for two meals, does anybody know if there's anything garlic free in the club car?

I just discovered that all the flex meal dinners (included in our fare for a three day trip) have garlic. I have a severe garlic intolerance. If I have even a little it makes me very sick. We will not be boarding the train from home (flying in from the UK) so can't go grocery shopping prior to the trip. I'm really worried about how to handle this. Even though it means paying for two meals, does anybody know if there's anything garlic free in the club car?
I'm sorry to hear.

If your trip is a few days away (I think 70ish hours to be exact), you can call Amtrak and have them stock kosher meals for you. I don't know if these have garlic or not, but they might not. The cafe/club car DOES have things without garlic.

You can also, at longer fresh air breaks, order food to be delivered to the train with Uber Eats or doordash. If you say which train youre on, many members know where the most ideal places to do this are

I'm sorry to hear.

If your trip is a few days away (I think 70ish hours to be exact), you can call Amtrak and have them stock kosher meals for you. I don't know if these have garlic or not, but they might not. The cafe/club car DOES have things without garlic.

You can also, at longer fresh air breaks, order food to be delivered to the train with Uber Eats or doordash. If you say which train youre on, many members know where the most ideal places to do this are
Forgot to mention we're not travelling until September. Thank you so very much for the excellent suggestions. I'll have to look into Kosher meals. I don't think garlic is excluded from Kosher generally but I will certainly find out. Probably will need to check out the club car rather than try to Uber Eats food (a bit fiddly for us). I will also pack some protein bars and nuts but it would be good to be able to find something more substantial for dinners.

I, too, am allergic to garlic. I believe the kosher meals also contain garlic. I was fortunate during my last cross country trip that I had diner meals on the western trains and only had to deal with flex-meals on 4 trains. After many months of communicating with Customer Relations by phone and by email, I found a customer relations agent who was able to find alternative meals for me (that I ordered in advance and were loaded on the trains). Unfortunately, that agent is no longer with Amtrak. I have been communicating with another agent in preparation for my next long distance train trip (for which I have no date yet). I will send you a PM.

Prior to finding the first customer relations agent, I was permitted to order food from the cafe car at no charge. II had email authorization from a manager in Miami and I was traveling on Florida trains. At that time, most everything in the cafe contained garlic. I ended up eating many cheese trays and chips. I always bring my own vinegar and olive oil packets since most salad dressing contains garlic.

I certainly sympathize with you.
Welcome to AU

Forgot to mention we're not travelling until September. Thank you so very much for the excellent suggestions. I'll have to look into Kosher meals. I don't think garlic is excluded from Kosher generally but I will certainly find out. Probably will need to check out the club car rather than try to Uber Eats food (a bit fiddly for us). I will also pack some protein bars and nuts but it would be good to be able to find something more substantial for dinners.
Depending on your trains, full diners may be back by September. Most likely flex meals will be served on the trains from DC to Chicago and NYC to Chicago.
I always pack lots of nuts.
BTW, if you are NYC, there is a pizza restaurant across the street from Penn Station that does not put garlic in their pizza sauce. Pizza Suprema.
In Chicago, Beggars Pizza, a block or so away from Union Station, does not put garlic in their pizza sauce.

Welcome from this side of the pond to Amtrak Unlimited!

As you can already tell there are Amtrak foodies here! :)

Welcome from this side of the pond to Amtrak Unlimited!

As you can already tell there are Amtrak foodies here! :)
WOW!!! I'm overwhelmed by such lovely and helpful replies!! I would be really psyched if the dining car did reappear by Sept. But I wonder if it really ever will? I would guess Amtrak are cutting costs (labour, mainly) like most other orgs. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. Too bad the Kosher meals have garlic. I'd hoped that might be a good alternative. Our trip is in the Northwest from Minneapolis/St Paul to San Francisco with a change of trains in Portland, Oregon. I think we'll try to get some sort of dinner prior to boarding in St Paul (around 8 PM). As there is a stopover of about 2 hours in Portland I'm hoping to find some place near the station with non-garlic offerings. We have a shorter day trip from San Francisco to Santa Barbara but no dinners there. Defo will be packing nuts, and some non-garlic dressing packets. Not much space in bags but perhaps some peanut butter too. If there is a customer relations person who is able to find some creative workarounds I would love to have their info. Got the email address for CR's.

Again, many. many thanks for all the excellent ideas and help. And to everyone, stay safe!! We're in our 3rd lockdown here. Sigh....

I would strongly recommend that all travelers bring some trusted shelf-stable food from home that can be consumed as needed in the event you cannot find something acceptable on Amtrak (or elsewhere during your trip). I have no severe food allergies but I still bring some durably packaged snacks on most trips just in case the food is inedible or runs out or I get stranded or something. These snacks usually last multiple round trips but better safe than sorry. 👍

Last edited:
You will need to check with Customer Relations for the menu for traditional dining rather than flex dining, since it appears you are on the Empire Builder to Portland and the Coast Starlight to San Francisco--both of which are scheduled to be providing traditional dining car service by early this summer. There is a lot more choice available in the traditional dining service, including baked potatoes as a side, which definitely won't include garlic. Do pack along some emergency vittles, just for peace of mind's sake, and assuming that you're in the sleepers, be aware that you are allowed to consume your own alcohol while in your room. The two trains you are taking feature spectacular scenery, and having a glass of a tasty adult beverage if you are so inclined can add to the enjoyment.

WOW!!! I'm overwhelmed by such lovely and helpful replies!! I would be really psyched if the dining car did reappear by Sept. But I wonder if it really ever will? I would guess Amtrak are cutting costs (labour, mainly) like most other orgs. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. Too bad the Kosher meals have garlic. I'd hoped that might be a good alternative. Our trip is in the Northwest from Minneapolis/St Paul to San Francisco with a change of trains in Portland, Oregon. I think we'll try to get some sort of dinner prior to boarding in St Paul (around 8 PM). As there is a stopover of about 2 hours in Portland I'm hoping to find some place near the station with non-garlic offerings. We have a shorter day trip from San Francisco to Santa Barbara but no dinners there. Defo will be packing nuts, and some non-garlic dressing packets. Not much space in bags but perhaps some peanut butter too. If there is a customer relations person who is able to find some creative workarounds I would love to have their info. Got the email address for CR's.

Again, many. many thanks for all the excellent ideas and help. And to everyone, stay safe!! We're in our 3rd lockdown here. Sigh....
You should have traditional dining by then

I would strongly recommend that all travelers bring some trusted shelf-stable food from home that can be consumed as needed in the event you cannot find something acceptable on Amtrak (or elsewhere during your trip). I have no severe food allergies but I still bring some durably packaged snacks on most trips just in case the food is inedible or runs out or I get stranded or something. These snacks usually last multiple round trips but better safe than sorry. 👍
Yes, I plan to do that but not too much room in luggage or much opportunity to food shop in Minneapolis. Nuts and crackers probably are easy to pack.

Reactions: Cal
Let's just eliminate the dining perk for sleepers and price accordingly.
That would eliminate the need for a dining car and all passengers would use the lounge/cafe.
Of course, that would stick Amtrak with multi-million dollars of dining car stock and maybe that would shock our do nothing politicians into some creative and sensible options but I doubt it!

Assuming that you have a reasonable layover in Portland--remember, trains can run late--I would suggest that you head to the nearby Whole Foods Market, where you can get snacks, prepared salads and sandwiches, deli foods, etc., all nicely packaged for takeaway. Also, fresh fruit and the afore-mentioned adult beverages, too. It's about a 15 minute walk from the station, and you can leave your luggage at the station. But it's also about a one minute cab ride if you're short on time. You'll be able to check on the ingredients list to be sure that what you're getting will be safe to eat, too.

Yes, I plan to do that but not too much room in luggage or much opportunity to food shop in Minneapolis. Nuts and crackers probably are easy to pack.
I was very happy to see the sqeezable peanut butter on the shelf at the grocery store. That and some good crackers with some fruit would tide me over if need be. I hope passengers with allergies get their problems solved. I am lucky and don't have that issue.

If bringing food from abroad, just be aware of the restrictions. Be sure to declare whatever you have in order to avoid starting your trip off with a fine. The agents are very understanding if you have something that is not allowed so long as you declared it.

Here is a good synopsis: CBP Customer Service.

Assuming that you have a reasonable layover in Portland--remember, trains can run late--I would suggest that you head to the nearby Whole Foods Market, where you can get snacks, prepared salads and sandwiches, deli foods, etc., all nicely packaged for takeaway. Also, fresh fruit and the afore-mentioned adult beverages, too. It's about a 15 minute walk from the station, and you can leave your luggage at the station. But it's also about a one minute cab ride if you're short on time. You'll be able to check on the ingredients list to be sure that what you're getting will be safe to eat, too.

I highly recommend also World Foods in Portland. It's a few blocks closer and quite the selection, too.

Rembrandt extra aged Guada hard cheese...Mmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back