Amtrak Excursion in the works? Follow up to the Amtrak Autumn Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a 2014 amtrak fall foliage trip would be available, I think it would have been offered by now. I thought the 2013 trips out of Philly was a great success. Anyone have insight behind the scenes on if attempts were made on a 2014 trip, but it just wasn't successful. I can think of many reasons why things just didn't pan out.

Well August came and gone with nothing announced. Did I miss something?
No. You did not because of right now, there is nothing to officially announce.

Keep a sharp watch over the next few weeks though, as there is a "heartbeat."

If a 2014 amtrak fall foliage trip would be available, I think it would have been offered by now. I thought the 2013 trips out of Philly was a great success. Anyone have insight behind the scenes on if attempts were made on a 2014 trip, but it just wasn't successful. I can think of many reasons why things just didn't pan out.
I wouldn't count it out yet based on Thirdrail7's post.

Hopefully they will do it again! We loved it last year! Please let us know if anyone hears any news! :)

Does anyone remember how many day's there were last year, before that trip was announced?

It was announced in August last year (you can google it for the date).
Well then in that case....it doesn't look very optimistic for a repeat for this year....

Although, once announced, it sold out in record time.....so who knows..... :unsure:

Well then in that case....it doesn't look very optimistic for a repeat for this year....Although, once announced, it sold out in record time.....so who knows..... :unsure:
I'm wondering if the delay in announcing it is due to the fact that they sold out so quickly last year.

Well then in that case....it doesn't look very optimistic for a repeat for this year....Although, once announced, it sold out in record time.....so who knows..... :unsure:
I'm wondering if the delay in announcing it is due to the fact that they sold out so quickly last year.
What purpose would that serve?

Last year, after the first train sold out, they had enough time to schedule and sell a second train for the next day....

According to George Pitz on Facebook:

November 8 and 9 Amtrak Autumn Express originates Philadelphia runs Highline then ex-RDG to Harrisburg, wye at Rockville and return to Philadelphia same route. Additional info/pricing on Amtrak.com soon.
Get ready, folks! :D

November 8 and 9 Amtrak Autumn Express originates Philadelphia runs Highline then ex-RDG to Harrisburg, wye at Rockville and return to Philadelphia same route. Additional info/pricing on Amtrak.com soon.
Today, Amtrak announced a 3-day sale through October 2 for discount fares between PHL and WAS, BAL, NYP, BOS for travel from November 4 to 20. Coincidence? Doubt it, if the Facebook report is correct. Nov. 8 & 9 is also still in the Double Days AGR period, so people can rack up AGR points traveling on the NEC to Philly as well.

The ex-READING!

Um! I think some local rail advocates should be on board to advocate permanent corridor service along that route! (It deserves it!)

(This is actually tempting, even though I'd need to spend two nights in Philly. I have friends in the area though...)

Last edited by a moderator:
No mention yet on Amtrak's website....I called 'Julie', got connected to a res agent, she 'checked' and said it was not running this year.....

So either they are 'keeping it a secret' until some such time, or they are not running it....

I'll try to keep posted, as I want to be on it for sure, if it runs.....

Despite the problems in OH & IND, I'm looking forward to my own Autumn "Express". Looks like the fall folliage in NY is going to be great for my westbound LSL trip this weekend. SInce I'm connecting to 3, which has been held most days for 49, I'm going to relax and enjoy the ride...the first day.

I think for a lot of us, the "leaf peeping" is secondary to the opportunity to ride rare mileage at a very reasonable fare...

Speaking of fares, do you guys think they will be similar to last year? or more expensive since it sold out in record time?

I think for a lot of us, the "leaf peeping" is secondary to the opportunity to ride rare mileage at a very reasonable fare...
I wouldn't say that the "leaf peeping" exists on this route like it did on last year's route. I would say that it is about the rare mileage. Unfortunately I missed last year's event, so I hope to get a ticket this year

Oh, I know. I enjoyed the trip last year and hope I can make this one two.

In 1997 I was on one of the "Shoppers Specials" to Reading that used the High Line. This rumor prompted me to find and post the video I had of my rare mileage trip and the Philly skyline sans Comcast Building.

AM departure

Today, Amtrak announced a 3-day sale through October 2 for discount fares between PHL and WAS, BAL, NYP, BOS for travel from November 4 to 20. Coincidence? Doubt it, if the Facebook report is correct. Nov. 8 & 9 is also still in the Double Days AGR period, so people can rack up AGR points traveling on the NEC to Philly as well.
Considering the flash sale ends today and the excursion has not been announced yet, I guess it was a coincidence after all. Or it just didn't work out, but the intent was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back