Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone that didn't get on the trip, I have no hard feelings at all. If tickets come available and that coincides with my ability to purchase them, I'll have a great time, I'm sure. If not, I'll have a good time on the chase, or doing whatever else it is I end up doing that Saturday.

Part of the attraction of being here is access to people "in the know" that can get the inside track on things like these (getting to photograph some special equipment moves/trains is another area where this is helpful).

I certainly don't blame Amtrak for letting the word out in the fashion that they did - nothing wrong at all with your most ardent fans getting first shot at something cool like this.

There would be a problem if tickets had been sold through non-public avenues before going on sale to the general public.

There's no evidence that happened here. AFAIK, even the "early birds" had to purchase their tickets through Amtrak.com

And I still say, (but who cares?) that if we assume:

• Amtrak priced this correctly, i.e. to more than cover their costs, and actually turn a profit, should it sell out
  • Uses equipment that otherwise on weekend would be sitting in yard
  • Doesn't suffer some horrible PR as a result of trip
That Amtrak should "do" more of these.

Please post your reasons why Amtrak would not run more trips like this, assuming the assumptions above were/hold true?

Suggest a window on the left side. That would provide the best viewing heading up along the Susquehanna.
As for tickets, I would not be surprised to see some open up as the date gets close. Some may have bought tickets "just in case", then may decide not to go and cancel.
I was told by the agent in CLE that tickets for this excursion are non-refundable and non transferrable? I am not sure that any tickets could then open up based on that premise?

And I still say, (but who cares?) that if we assume:
  • Amtrak priced this correctly, i.e. to more than cover their costs, and actually turn a profit, should it sell out
  • Uses equipment that otherwise on weekend would be sitting in yard
  • Doesn't suffer some horrible PR as a result of trip
That Amtrak should "do" more of these.

Please post your reasons why Amtrak would not run more trips like this, assuming the assumptions above were/hold true?

Oh, if the above assumptions are all true, then definitely yeah More Trips Please! (I think the idea of "profit" on this

trip will have to be proved)

Only problem (and I think someone else mentioned it) is that trips like these reinforce the stereotype that train travel

is a glorified amusement park ride that shouldn't be subsidized for actual travel. So if Amtrak were to run one of these

once or twice a month, then before long certain Congresscritters are going to ask why don't they do it everyday, and why

do they run the non-money making trips at all?

If you enter a crowded lounge car, and want to grab a window seat for an upcoming scenic highlight, just go to the opposite side, point outside, and shout: "Buffalo!"
Boy, if we see Buffalo, we'll really be going in the wrong direction :) But then, it would get more reaction than shouting "Havre de Grace!" :)
HEY EVERYBODY LOOK!!! PERRYVILLE!!!! :D

If you enter a crowded lounge car, and want to grab a window seat for an upcoming scenic highlight, just go to the opposite side, point outside, and shout: "Buffalo!"
Boy, if we see Buffalo, we'll really be going in the wrong direction :) But then, it would get more reaction than shouting "Havre de Grace!" :)
What? Nobody wants to look at Newark? :( :p

Suggest a window on the left side. That would provide the best viewing heading up along the Susquehanna.

As for tickets, I would not be surprised to see some open up as the date gets close. Some may have bought tickets "just in case", then may decide not to go and cancel.
I was told by the agent in CLE that tickets for this excursion are non-refundable and non transferrable? I am not sure that any tickets could then open up based on that premise?
If that is true, it was not stated in the published Terms and Conditions:

Terms & Conditions
- Valid for sale August 19 - November 2, 2013.

- Valid for travel on November 2, 2013 only.

- Valid between Philadelphia, PA (PHL) - Amtrak Autumn Express, PA (AXP).

- Flat price of $89 for adults and includes a boxed lunch and souvenir tote bag.

- Up to 2 children ages 2 - 15 may accompany each adult at half the adult fare.

- Children and infants must travel with an adult who is at least 18 years or older.

- Not combinable with any other discount offer or passenger type.

N

Even though the 'early word' was great for fellow AUers - and other crazed foaming creatures whose prime habitat is near dual steel ribbon :rolleyes: - I think the only place Amtrak has screwed up on this trip - so far - was to let word get out before the general email notification went out. Folks who are more 'normal' :giggle: (and who might not be such ardent Amtrak supporters) and didn't get the inside scoop, must be frustrated that the train was basically sold out before they even knew about it. :(
I'm thinking they don't have 'the warm fuzzies' about this trip the way so many of us do. I'll bet they see it as Amtrak acting like, well, Amtrak at its not-so-best. :eek:hboy:
A solid dividend for AU membership......otherwise I would be among those missing out on this trip....
and possibly just a wee bit selfish? :unsure:
Not at all.....just very grateful for the 'heads-up' that being an AU member made possible. :hi:

What? Nobody wants to look at Newark? :( :p
None of the above.....I can't wait to see that scenic wonder of the world "Safe Harbor"......made famous by the system map in the first Amtrak national timetable.... :lol:

I am a Guest Rewards member but missed out on this trip. Are there any other fall foliage excursions that folks have found worthy? I am in NYC but have family in York/Harrisburg/Lancaster area.... any Eastern seaboard trip info would be welcome. Thanks so much.

A trip by the Adirondack to Plattsburgh, Rouses Point or Montreal, out Saturday back Sunday when the dome car is running IMHO is way better than this excursion for seeing fall colors and great scenery overall.

With regards to the refundability of these tickets, it is VERY misleading. Indeed, the terms and conditions do not state anywhere that the tickets are non refundable. However, when you look at your e-ticket is does state they are indeed NON REFUNDABLE. Interesting to see if Amtrak gets any backlash from anyone who can't make the trip and wants their money back.

Incidentally, I am staying at a hotel near the airport the evening prior to the trip. I am going to take an airport shuttle to the airport, then grab SEPTA to 30th Street. I wonder if anyone else is doing this?

It sounds like they probably will add some space if they can plan on having the additional car(s). As to refundability...that's going to be an issue for Amtrak. At the very least, they failed to advertise it being non-refundable, so someone is probably going to pounce on them. I'd suggest someone back up a copy of the page advertising it.

With regards to the refundability of these tickets, it is VERY misleading. Indeed, the terms and conditions do not state anywhere that the tickets are non refundable. However, when you look at your e-ticket is does state they are indeed NON REFUNDABLE. Interesting to see if Amtrak gets any backlash from anyone who can't make the trip and wants their money back.
Incidentally, I am staying at a hotel near the airport the evening prior to the trip. I am going to take an airport shuttle to the airport, then grab SEPTA to 30th Street. I wonder if anyone else is doing this?
I asked the agent in CLE about the refundability issue and he said it fell under the same conditions as other special fares such as the weekly specials, etc. It is true that it was not mentioned in the advertising, but yes it does say that on my E Ticket. It was a consideration since we have some health issues to be concerned about, but wife and I decided to take a chance since we planned to be in Maryland a few days before.

We will be riding SEPTA from Eastwick station to PHL that morning. And it looks like we will need to get an early train to get in line with other early birds.

It would seem to me more efficient if Amtrak would issue seat tickets to each person standing in line so there would be no knock down drag out fight in the coaches that morning. Each person would have a car number assigned and seat number. That way a couple would be guaranteed a seat together. Just my opinion. Hope Amtrak comes up with a plan that works that morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see Amtrak's point. If the day ends up being a crappy day, many people may not show up but Amtrak has the trip set for all those people. They may have been able to save on less coaches, not buying lunch, extra staff, etc. because they counted on so many people. It is different on a regular train because they are running it anyhow.

However, if you cancel now, Amtrak can scale back their expenses if needed. The terms should have probably been clearer and allowing a refund up to a certain amount of time for the trip.

Joe,

If you're staying in town both Friday night & Saturday night, this doesn't work. But if you're only doing Friday night, you may wish to look at the DoubleTree Downtown. They have a rate of $84 for Friday night only. The price jumps up if you want Saturday night too.

Several of us are already booked at this hotel for that night. It's just a few blocks south of Suburban Station, giving one many more options for getting to 30th Street Station.

This will actually not work for me as I am indeed staying over Saturday; I checked the rates and the price balloons way up when you stay Saturday. Plus I am bringing my wife and son (but not on the train). An airport hotel allows us an easier drive in, parking, pet friendly (the Doubletree appears not to be), junior suites. etc. Thank you so much for the tip though and for including me!

I can see Amtrak's point. If the day ends up being a crappy day, many people may not show up but Amtrak has the trip set for all those people. They may have been able to save on less coaches, not buying lunch, extra staff, etc. because they counted on so many people. It is different on a regular train because they are running it anyhow.
However, if you cancel now, Amtrak can scale back their expenses if needed. The terms should have probably been clearer and allowing a refund up to a certain amount of time for the trip.
I see their point and I don't even disagree with it on some level. Non-refundable but transferable tickets would probably have made the most sense from that perspective. The main thing is that they didn't state it in the advertising materials.

I can see Amtrak's point. If the day ends up being a crappy day, many people may not show up .
I see their point and I don't even disagree with it on some level. Non-refundable but transferable tickets would probably have made the most sense from that perspective. The main thing is that they didn't state it in the advertising materials.
That being said, since it WASN'T really spelled out, one could always contact their CC provider, in advance, and "dispute" the charge, claiming, rightfully, that there was no notice of "No Refund"....

Non-refundable but transferable tickets would probably have made the most sense from that perspective.
"Non-refundable but transferable" probably would have created a healthy "scalper" market for a trip like this! :p

Due to a change in my Friday afternoon schedule on the 1st, now I am able to join the mini-gathering on Friday evening and stay at the party central that evening. I will arrive by ATK 127 from MET a little after 5pm. hopefully we will all get together for dinner and have a good time that evening!

When is the New York contingent planning to head back from Philly on the 2nd?

Due to a change in my Friday afternoon schedule on the 1st, now I am able to join the mini-gathering on Friday evening and stay at the party central that evening. I will arrive by ATK 127 from MET a little after 5pm. hopefully we will all get together for dinner and have a good time that evening!
When is the New York contingent planning to head back from Philly on the 2nd?
I am not part of the NY contingent, but I will offer my 2 cents. My train is scheduled to arrive in PHL at 5:35pm on Friday. I will be going to WAS on Saturday evening, although I do not have the reservations yet. I am thinking about taking 159 which leaves PHL at 6:33pm.

I am not part of the NY contingent, but I will offer my 2 cents. My train is scheduled to arrive in PHL at 5:35pm on Friday. I will be going to WAS on Saturday evening, although I do not have the reservations yet. I am thinking about taking 159 which leaves PHL at 6:33pm.
I get into PHL at 5:30pm on Friday. I guess I will get something out of PHL around 6:30pm on Saturday too then, but headed the other way. A short 55min run to Metropark for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back