Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 10 Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges in the US, most of which are on the East Coast. If traveling out west you will find there are two on the West Coast. Each lounge has varying levels of offerings, some lounges are staffed while others are just a private room to wait until your train boards.

Here is a list of Amtrak stations with Metropolitan Lounges:
I think the Seattle King St. Station really needs one.

StationStaffed/UnstaffedFood
Boston South StationStaffedSnacks/Drinks
Chicago Union StationStaffedSnacks/Drinks
LA Union StationStaffedSnacks/Drinks
MinneapolisUnstaffedNone
New OrleansUnstaffedNone
NYC Moynihan Train HallStaffedHot/Cold/Drinks
Philadelphia 30th Street StationStaffedSnacks/Drinks
Portland Union StationStaffedSnacks/Drinks
St. Louis Gateway StationUnstaffedWater
DC Union StationStaffedSnacks/Drinks

It's amazing that the food in the Moynihan Lounge is MUCH better than the flex dining offered on the "Eastern Long Distance Trains" and even in the cafes.

That's perhaps overstating the case a bit. The quality of what they offer might be better, but the offerings do not provide the variety needed to completely replace dining car meals, even of the flex variety. I do like the idea of bringing one of the lounge's salads on board, as the salad provided by flex is clearly substandard.

Most people are not willing to walk to the food court from the Chicago Metro Lounge. But if something was right across from it - it would do a good deal of business in my opinion because the Chicago Metro Lounge is just putting minimal amount of snacks and beverages out.
That's probably overstating things at bit. Only someone severely mobility limited would have a problem getting from the lounge to the food court, and I believe there's an elevator, so it is accessible. And even back when the lounge in Chicago offered more variety, it wasn't enough to be able to make a lunch out of it, like you can in New York. I mean, there was enough calories on hand to allow one to graze and keep the "hangrys" at bay until dinner time, but it wasn't like it was a full, balanced meal. On the other hand, many passengers like to use the long layover in Chicago as an excuse to go into the city and eat some of its iconic foods in outside eateries. One thing I really mourn is the closing of Gold Coast Dogs in the food court. And I mourn that more than the lack of crudites and cheese cubes in the Metropolitan Lounge.

MinneapolisUnstaffedNone
New OrleansUnstaffedNone
Yeah, I agree Seattle needs one and there's space for it. From what I understand, the CIty of Seattle wants to charge a high rent for space for a lounge, plus Amtrak is not pushing it. Washington DOT might for its business class travelers on the Cascades, but I think they'd balk at paying too much rent to Seattle.

MinneapolisUnstaffedNone
New OrleansUnstaffedNone
There is coffee and chips at the New Orleans Magnolia lounge. At least there was when I was there in January.

I wish something could be worked out with regard to the city of Seattle's high charge for a M. Lounge at the King St. Station. I will be there this summer for a return trip, on the Starlight, from SEA to Martinez. I've never been to a Metropolitan Lounge in any Amtrak station except for the one in the Portland Union Station. I do like that one because it give ones privacy and a quiet environment for waiting for the train. Also, you can board your train right from the lounge.

I think any Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge should be staffed. I also think you should be able find warm or hot food and not just water, soda, and snacks. Why couldn't they provide what Amtrak trains provide at the cafe car. Here is a menu from an Amtrak cafe car:

https://is.gd/slKn8j
Richard

Well, there is no way a new Met Lounge in Seattle could be ready by summer. IIRC, it took the better part of a year for the one in LA to open once it was official it was going in. And there had not been a whisper about putting one in Seattle for a long time now.

When I did my CZ trip in 2019, the CHI lounge had a fresh veggie bar. Sliced carrots, broccoli, cucumber, etc. with ranch dip. I enjoyed it.
Yes... that veggie and cheese bar was delicious... but with a big problem... the serving utensils were handled by all those hands... who had been traveling and everywhere. I remember getting around this by folding a napkin around the utensils so I would not touch them... but ultimately when everyone handles the service items those germs go everywhere. The Covid 'germs' brought that kind of food handling and serving to a stop.

The individually packaged items at Moynihan have that problem solved... but now let's bring that upper quality and care to all the lounges. Chicago Metropolitan Lounge is at the crossroads of America --- needs and deserves that service as much as any other lounge.

Hoping Amtrak will make higher standards at the lounges both consistent and inclusive of all the lounges!

It's amazing that the food in the Moynihan Lounge is MUCH better than the flex dining offered on the "Eastern Long Distance Trains" and even in the cafes. That doesn't sit well with me.
It's offensive.

I have to wonder how Amtrak's accounting is working the "cost" of these Metropolitan Lounges. There's no way that people are eating all that is being stocked and offered at the Moynihan Metropolitan Lounge. It's actually amazing how Amtrak can come up with this good service for the Metro Lounge, but not on the train.
Offensive.

And once more- no one is going to lay out expensive food at no charge to BC passengers. As long as many lounges allow BC passengers, they are not going to put out a spread like Moynihan. The other FC only locations perhaps, and yes, they can do better at all of them, but to think BC passenger lounges should be catered like FC only is ust not grounded in reality.

And once more- no one is going to lay out expensive food at no charge to BC passengers. As long as many lounges allow BC passengers, they are not going to put out a spread like Moynihan. The other FC only locations perhaps, and yes, they can do better at all of them, but to think BC passenger lounges should be catered like FC only is ust not grounded in reality.
Actually, having just yesterday used the Lounge at Moynihan, it occurred to me that the fancy food is really unnecessary for Acela First Class passengers. I mean, they served us a dinner on board the train, and we also had an open bar on board. Why do I need to eat anything in the lounge? I got a bottle of the fancy soda pop they have, and a cup of water, as I had been out walking in the sun and didn't realize how dehydrated I was. Otherwise, what I appreciated was the nice quiet comfortable, uncrowded place to sit and wait for the train. Also, they did announce the track to us before they did to the general public, so we were able to get to the front of the cattle line at the gate, which is not quite as important to Acela passengers now, as all the seats are assigned anyway, and you don't have the same need to rush to the front of the line to get a decent seat.

Now, if one was traveling in business class or coach, the additional food might be a nice supplement to the cafe car fare, and the salads at Moynihan seem like a great addition to a flex meal. And the lounge is not just for first class and sleeper passengers, it's also for business class and coach passengers who are Select Plus members of AGR.

I wish something could be worked out with regard to the city of Seattle's high charge for a M. Lounge at the King St. Station. I will be there this summer for a return trip, on the Starlight, from SEA to Martinez. I've never been to a Metropolitan Lounge in any Amtrak station except for the one in the Portland Union Station. I do like that one because it give ones privacy and a quiet environment for waiting for the train. Also, you can board your train right from the lounge.

I think any Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge should be staffed. I also think you should be able find warm or hot food and not just water, soda, and snacks. Why couldn't they provide what Amtrak trains provide at the cafe car. Here is a menu from an Amtrak cafe car:

https://is.gd/slKn8j
Richard
seriously????

seriously????

https://is.gd/TE1TmM
"You’ll find the lounge toward the left side of the station, as you enter. Coffee and water are available. That’s about it. The lounge does offer wi-fi and has a TV…but think of it more as a private waiting room. You’ll board the train platform directly through the lounge."

https://is.gd/TE1TmM
"You’ll find the lounge toward the left side of the station, as you enter. Coffee and water are available. That’s about it. The lounge does offer wi-fi and has a TV…but think of it more as a private waiting room. You’ll board the train platform directly through the lounge."
The lounge at PDX is architecturally and aesthetically pleasing. But with some actually fresh sandwiches and nibbles; soda, etc; this would be quite nice. Didn't they have this in the past?

The lounge in SEA is 'very very very' just missing. So along with Amtrak's quirks, inefficiencies, and lack of consistencies... here you have another historically significant large city station that serves as end points for two of Amtrak's best known trains; the EB and the CS... with no lounge - ?X!? 'Tell me it ain't so!'

The lounge at PDX is architecturally and aesthetically pleasing. But with some actually fresh sandwiches and nibbles; soda, etc; this would be quite nice. Didn't they have this in the past?

The lounge in SEA is 'very very very' just missing. So along with Amtrak's quirks, inefficiencies, and lack of consistencies... here you have another historically significant large city station that serves as end points for two of Amtrak's best known trains; the EB and the CS... with no lounge - ?X!? 'Tell me it ain't so!'
I wish it wasn't so. Yep, a major terminus for the Builder, Starlight, and Cascade trains.

How about Denver, Orlando, or Miami for Met. Lounges?

Richard

I wish it wasn't so. Yep, a major terminus for the Builder, Starlight, and Cascade trains.

How about Denver, Orlando, or Miami for Met. Lounges?

Richard
Miami had one which they shut down.

Raleigh used to have one in the old station building, but there is not one in the new station building.

Orlando never had one and does not appear to have any space to put one there.

Denver, well they have not bothered with one even when they rebuilt the entire station.

Denver, well they have not bothered with one even when they rebuilt the entire station.
Yeah, but the lobby of the hotel is pretty nice, and I wasn't hassled for sitting there, though that could easily be cleared up by ordering something from the Terminal Bar. And you can do that even if you're traveling coach and don't have Select Plus.

Miami had one which they shut down.

Raleigh used to have one in the old station building, but there is not one in the new station building.

Orlando never had one and does not appear to have any space to put one there.

At Orlando, there are exterior staircases flanking the street-facing entrance, and there are 2nd story windows, so there is an upper level in the central tower, but I have no idea what's up there. Of course, creation of any public space up there would require building an elevator to make it accessible.

The county property appraiser site says the property is owned by FLDOT.

The county property appraiser site says the property is owned by FLDOT.
Yes. It came with the trackage between Deland and Poinciana I suppose. I wonder who owns the Kissimmee station building now. Just checked. FLDOT now owns that too. Came with the same transaction.

Deland however, the facility is owned by Amtrak, while everything else is owned by FLDOT.

Last edited:
Yes. It came with the trackage between Deland and Poinciana I suppose. I wonder who owns the Kissimmee station building now.
That's a good question. The property appraiser map shows the track ROW owned by FDOT, and the adjacent parking lot owned by CSX, with the property line between the two running thru the station house. o_O

That's a good question. The property appraiser map shows the track ROW owned by FDOT, and the adjacent parking lot owned by CSX, with the property line between the two running thru the station house. o_O
The Great American Stations site claims the whole thing is owned by FLDOT. I suspect whatever is said to be owned by CSX is actually now owned by FLDOT. The parking lot reconstruction was an FLDOT project there, and at least the SunRail platform is definitely owned by FLDOT. Maybe the Appraiser needs to update their documentation, or there is perhaps some kind of 99 year lease involved? 🤔

Anyway, back to Metropolitan Lounges. I doubt Kissmimme or Deland will get any, anytime soon.

Last edited:
The only two I have used are Philadelphia and New Orleans.
I have used NYP, BOS, WAS, CHI, SLC, PDX, LAX, NOL, MSP

Also used MIA and RGH when they existed.

Actually the new RGH station is pleasant enough, with high ceiling and plenty of natural light flowing in through a glass wall facing towards the tracks, relatively uncrowded with quite a bit of sitting space. The MIA one is missed though, but after moving to Florida I have never used that station.

I have used NYP, BOS, WAS, CHI, SLC, PDX, LAX, NOL, MSP

Also used MIA and RGH when they existed.

Actually the new RGH station is pleasant enough, with high ceiling and plenty of natural light flowing in through a glass wall facing towards the tracks, relatively uncrowded with quite a bit of sitting space. The MIA one is missed though, but after moving to Florida I have never used that station.
I've used WAS, PHL, NYP, BOS, and CHI. I also used the one in RGH back in the day. I wish they had one in BAL, but I don't know where they'd put one.

Back