Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used WAS, PHL, NYP, BOS, and CHI. I also used the one in RGH back in the day. I wish they had one in BAL, but I don't know where they'd put one.
Of the ones where I wish they had one or should have one in the future that comes to mind are:

1. BAL though as you said, I have no idea where they'd put one.

2. SEA which we have discussed ad nauseum

3. ORL again who knows where they'd put it?

4. RVM after all trains headed south have added it as a stop as planned - it becoming the de facto south anchor of the extended NEC.

1. BAL though as you said, I have no idea where they'd put one.

Actually, there's some kind of plan to build something on the site of the parking lot on Lanvale St. and build something over the tracks to connect it with the station. Perhaps there's space for a lounge in the new structures. Not sure of the status of the project, but they are doing some construction work between the platform and the parking lot.

Actually, there's some kind of plan to build something on the site of the parking lot on Lanvale St. and build something over the tracks to connect it with the station. Perhaps there's space for a lounge in the new structures. Not sure of the status of the project, but they are doing some construction work between the platform and the parking lot.
I was going to mention the new building might be a good spot for the lounge.

Have been in all of them except for one mentioned in MSP. Over the years there have been ups and downs. Prior to moving into a historic and impressively renovated area, CHI did serve fresh sandwiches when it was downstairs 'in the dungeon' but it would be nice to see an upgraded consistency system wide... and the addition of a flagship lounge in SEA!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe some space was set aside for a Metropolitan lounge in SEA during the initial planning of the renovation.
There is room and a place for it. Neither Amtrak nor Washington DOT seem interested at this time, and the City of Seattle (the station's owner and landlord) reportedly wanted quite high rent for lounge space.

There was a lot of talk about a lounge when the renovation of King Street was first completed. That discussion has died down and there is virtually none now.

Possibly because it is the primary transfer point between long distance trains so has many people connecting between overnight trips.
Every time I have begun a journey there... in the afternoon for the EB or the morning for the CS... there are always a large crowd who are there well before departure... there is a separate seating area for SC pax... a lounge in SEA would be greatly utilized; and appreciated by many.

With the pandemic and subsequent economic issues I guess there has been more focus on priority essentials... but hoping that Amtrak will get 'back on track' with lounge planning for SEA.

BTW the lounge in PDX is a historic gem... the addition of a few snacks would make it even more delightful!

Possibly because it is the primary transfer point between long distance trains so has many people connecting between overnight trips.
Yes, and that was the origin of the Portland lounge. It was set up by station staff in what had been a storage area, originally due to the wait from Train 27 to Train 11. It developed from that. In early lists of Metropolitan lounges Amtrak forgot to include it.

Have a question about LAX. Both times going on the Sunset the transportation golf cart was delayed by the Light rail crossing gate system that the cart takes. That was because a southbound(?) Light rail train stopped at the Union station platform for over 20 minutes for whatever reason. There was no time out disabling of the crossing gates.

One time we were the first cart so delayed that next passenger loads and checked baggage caused a departure delay the amount cannot remember. Did not have time to question red cap as he was really trying to speed up things. Big tip!

Have a question about LAX. Both times going on the Sunset the transportation golf cart was delayed by the Light rail crossing gate system that the cart takes. That was because a southbound(?) Light rail train stopped at the Union station platform for over 20 minutes for whatever reason. There was no time out disabling of the crossing gates.

One time we were the first cart so delayed that next passenger loads and checked baggage caused a departure delay the amount cannot remember. Did not have time to question red cap as he was really trying to speed up things. Big tip!
Sometimes when there is a problem with light rail blockage the cart goes down and around through the station... very time consuming and cumbersome; and necessitates the use of the elevators to get upstairs to the lounge. When the station was originally built there was no light rail... then when it came along there was little consideration for blockage... I'm sure there is. fix for this... C'mon Amtrak... get on it!

BTW... is it true that they've taken away the chocolate chip cookies??? Oh my!
Repeating from above... C'mon Amtrak... get on it!

Sometimes when there is a problem with light rail blockage the cart goes down and around through the station... very time consuming and cumbersome; and necessitates the use of the elevators to get upstairs to the lounge. When the station was originally built there was no light rail... then when it came along there was little consideration for blockage... I'm sure there is. fix for this... C'mon Amtrak... get on it!
Memory is foggy but it may be gates went down just before we got to the light rail crossing. Now I remember that the gates went down before the LR train got to the station and then stayed there forever. Why in the world such a long island circuit? Metro should pay to fix.

Memory is foggy but it may be gates went down just before we got to the light rail crossing. Now I remember that the gates went down before the LR train got to the station and then stayed there forever. Why in the world such a long island circuit? Metro should pay to fix.
Or they should just dig another tunnel under the Metro track and be done with it. Metro service will only get more frequent on that line and the gate situatin will only get even worse even with all the fixes in the world.

Tunnel not possible as 1st regular station platform is just beyond crossing.
BTW remember crossing signals were a long time cancelling after LR passed. That makes one wonder if there are no approach circuits and just a very long island circuit.?

The Metropolitan Lounge in Moynihan Train Hall is fantastic, and much better than most Admirals Clubs (American Airlines lounges). And I bought a $13 drink so Amtrak hopefully at least broke even on my visit.

That said, since the train that I take originates at NYP and since I walk to NYP, I prefer to just go to the lower level of dingy Penn Station and board there without having to wait in line, since I arrive at NYP when boarding starts. But stopping in the lounge for food and to buy a drink for the trip might be worth it.

Did railroads before Amtrak have lounges for first-class passengers?

Did railroads before Amtrak have lounges for first-class passengers?
Someone may know of such a thing but growing up on the West Coast I never have come across a mention of one.

What American railways did have in some stations:
  • Separate men's and ladies' waiting rooms.
  • Smoking rooms.
  • and in the South, separate racially designated waiting rooms.
  • Also, there were a hard to imagine number of sleeping car lines that permitted early boarding.
Some major European stations had First Class waiting rooms and/or royal waiting rooms for VIP's.

In both North America and Europe there was no consistency to what was offered.

Or they should just dig another tunnel under the Metro track and be done with it. Metro service will only get more frequent on that line and the gate situatin will only get even worse even with all the fixes in the world.
There are now firm plans to replace the tunnel with a wide concourse with shops. It will be done as part of the reconstruction related to putting in the run through tracks, which is now a "go".

The passenger tunnel is part of the historic fabric of the station. It is now on borrowed time and I, for one, will be very sorry to see it go. Going out to the platform ramps through the tunnel is an intrinsic part of the LAUPT experience for me. I do not take the cart from the Met Lounge. I want to board the way the Super Chief and Coast Daylight were boarded. Hell, I even use the steeper, original northside ramps, not the gentler southside ramps that were redone when they dug a lot of stuff up to put in the subway in the late 80s. Hell, I even miss the art deco gates at the tunnel entrance, but I understand why they had to go.

There are now firm plans to replace the tunnel with a wide concourse with shops. It will be done as part of the reconstruction related to putting in the run through tracks, which is now a "go".

The passenger tunnel is part of the historic fabric of the station. It is now on borrowed time and I, for one, will be very sorry to see it go. Going out to the platform ramps through the tunnel is an intrinsic part of the LAUPT experience for me. I do not take the cart from the Met Lounge. I want to board the way the Super Chief and Coast Daylight were boarded. Hell, I even use the steeper, original northside ramps, not the gentler southside ramps that were redone when they dug a lot of stuff up to put in the subway in the late 80s. Hell, I even miss the art deco gates at the tunnel entrance, but I understand why they had to go.

I understand. The last time I left L.A. I walked to the gate. In Denver a group of us went down on our lunch hour to take a last look at the platform access tunnel in our Union Station before it was removed for the underground bus box. If one knows where to look, there are gates from the old tunnel on the concrete walls of the new bus driveways. In the station, near the Amtrak counter, a rollsign from one of the gates is displayed as art.

I think the solution is to simply stop using the grade crossing, and use the elevator instead to get to an electric cart at the tunnel level and simply use the new wide concourse to use the ramps to platforms (assuming they are retained. There is something goofy about using a grade crossing across a frequently used trolley line while driving through the elements (albeit it does not rain much in LA) to get to ones train that irks me at least.

Last edited:
I think think the solution is to simply stop using the grade crossing, and use the elevator instead to get to an electric cart at the tunnel level and simply use the new wide concourse to use the ramps to platforms (assuming they are retained. There is something goofy about using a grade crossing across a frequently used trolley line while driving through the ements (albeit it does not rain much in LA) to get to ones train that irks me at least.
Well, the station was designed with all passenger access via the tunnel. Where the Metropolitan Lounge is was originally where baggage handling facilities were. Later on, an office building was built there and Amtrak had offices in it. Finally, they put the Metropolitan Lounge in there. When they first put it in, the Gold Line light rail did not go south of the station. It ended pretty much over the tunnel.

"Afterthought" does not even begin to describe the design of LA's Metropolitan Lounge.

Well, the station was designed with all passenger access via the tunnel. Where the Metropolitan Lounge is was originally where baggage handling facilities were. Later on, an office building was built there and Amtrak had offices in it. Finally, they put the Metropolitan Lounge in there. When they first put it in, the Gold Line light rail did not go south of the station. It ended pretty much over the tunnel.

"Afterthought" does not even begin to describe the design of LA's Metropolitan Lounge.
I totally agree. Hence the solution that I proposed. The preferred path to platforms should not involve a grade crossing across a busy line at a busy terminal for passengers.

Back