Amtrak moving to Great Hall in Chicago Union Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read somewhere that Amtrak was going to move from the tiny area that they use now into the great hall. I was not able to find anything on here about it. Is that still something that will happen? I have to travel thru Chicago for all of my trips, so was wondering.

Do a search for Metropolitan Lounge. There are discussions about it moving to an area of the Great Hall which will free up space.

That would be awesome and a vast improvement but I doubt it will happen since the Great Hall is used for Special Events so much. I'm sure the event rental makes quite a bit of money.

Someone knows more than I do but, I thought it the Metropolitan Lounge was going to move to an area between the Great Hall and the concourse.

I don't think it will be in the Great Hall itself - I could be totally wrong - because they make moola renting the entire space out for events and have to be able to close it off from the public.

Speaking of events in the Great Hall, I follow them on FB and they posted pics of the most gorgeous wedding ever from last weekend.

The entertainment was Lionel Ritchie - just a small intimate little get together :p

If you're on FB go to their page to see all of the pics - here are a few.

ghwed1_zpsb512bfd5.jpg

ghwed2_zpsdc630fb8.jpg

ghwed3_zpsdd16c046.jpg

greathallLR_zps9646f449.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That couple definitely got their money's worth. That is a gorgeous set-up.

No kidding! There are 40 pics on FB and I'm not one of those *wedding fanatics* but I was in awe.

Even my husband was amazed.

I wonder where everyone parked?
With a wedding like that, I'll bet they had valet parking and probably reserved spaces at the nearest garages.

They may also have made special arrangements with the garage on Clinton and Quincy.

I've also seen the CUS garage pretty empty on a couple of trips.

WOW!! Was it Tiger Woods, Beyonce and Jay-Z or Lebron putting on the Wedding? Bet Security wouldn't let you within 100 Yards of the Great Hall for this Shindig! And as was said, Imagine the Bill?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No kidding! There are 40 pics on FB and I'm not one of those *wedding fanatics* but I was in awe.

Even my husband was amazed.

I wonder where everyone parked?
With a wedding like that, I'll bet they had valet parking and probably reserved spaces at the nearest garages.

They may also have made special arrangements with the garage on Clinton and Quincy.

I've also seen the CUS garage pretty empty on a couple of trips.
Oh I'm sure they all took Metra! :D

I wondered who would say the guests took the trains to the wedding. And I'm still wondering since it was a guest. :D

Wonder if the bride & groom took a train after the reception to their honeymoon. :)

The bride's father is Peter Liegl, founder of Forest River Inc., which was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway for $800M in 2005. My guess is that he yawned when he received the bill for this wedding.

If they can afford that wedding... They can afford a private rail car. No joke. That doesn't mean they wanted it... But they surely could have afforded it. Ha.

The bride's father is Peter Liegl, founder of Forest River Inc., which was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway for $800M in 2005. My guess is that he yawned when he received the bill for this wedding.
Ah, no doubt the guests weren't worried about parking, if they even drove themselves at all.

I'm sure The Great Hall was chosen for its beauty and not because anyone was a rail fan.

I seriously doubt the favored mode of transportation to that gala was public transportation of any kind.

One of my favorite events was when the company my husband flew for - avionics industry and no rail hoopla involved - had a shindig at Dallas Union Station - nothing like the waiting area, that's for sure.

The flowers alone must have cost thousands. I love the way they set up the tables too - rounds mixed with rectangles. That is absolutely breathtaking. I even love those temporary chandeliers. Just gorgeous.

The whole "master plan" for CUS can be seen here. Most of it relates to CTA & METX operations, but there is some Amtrak. I haven't read thru the whole pdf yet so there could be more.

http://www.unionstationmp.com

peter

Edit: page 46 has a good map of the changes Amtrak is working on in the interior.

The whole "master plan" for CUS can be seen here. Most of it relates to CTA & METX operations, but there is some Amtrak. I haven't read thru the whole pdf yet so there could be more.http://www.unionstationmp.com

peter

Edit: page 46 has a good map of the changes Amtrak is working on in the interior.
Thanks for posting that.

Here's the map for those that don't want to download anything.

I've been wondering where they would put the new lounge.

Never thought about the Metro Deli area.

I can't remember - is that a temporary wall where they're proposing to put the lounge.

I know I've seen it numerous times.

metloungenew_zps28c1f105.png

The whole "master plan" for CUS can be seen here. Most of it relates to CTA & METX operations, but there is some Amtrak. I haven't read thru the whole pdf yet so there could be more.http://www.unionstationmp.com

peter

Thanks for posting that.

Actually JoanieB the ticketing area will replace the Metro Deli and the lounge will be across the corridor.

peter

Thanks for posting that.

Actually JoanieB the ticketing area will replace the Metro Deli and the lounge will be across the corridor.
I wasn't very clear in my question, sorry.

I was wondering what is in the place that they're proposing the new lounge.

I don't recall seeing anything across from the deli unless there's a temporary wall hiding it.

That is a bummer for Metro Deli, our favorite place to grab lunch on a short layover. However the new lounge is much needed. The current washroom facilities are much too small.

The current waiting area is a nightmare. I'm sad to lose Metro Deli, but happy the waiting area is going to be expanded. That place is a madhouse when the Michigan trains are announced.

The current waiting area is a nightmare. I'm sad to lose Metro Deli, but happy the waiting area is going to be expanded. That place is a madhouse when the Michigan trains are announced.
It's horrifying, isn't it?

It's one of the reasons I started using a Red Cap to go to the PM, well worth the $ not to be jammed in with the hordes of people in there.

That is a bummer for Metro Deli, our favorite place to grab lunch on a short layover. However the new lounge is much needed. The current washroom facilities are much too small.
I'm also a fan of the Metro Deli; but looking at the map, I'll probably be way too old to ride trains by the time it's pushed out. If it is still unclear when something in the past tense ("relocated Metropolitan Lounge") actually happens, then something with only a "potential" should be even further out in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back