Amtrak P42DC.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hello I want to get information on Amtrak's P42DC please. The first thing to ask is How many P42DCs are runing on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited Train 448 and 449?

Thank you.

Generally there are two P42s on 448 and 449. Occasionally there are more when they shuttle P40s or P42s between Boston and Springfield and Albany. There are also occasions where there is only 1 P42 but Id say 95% of the time there are two units.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Are the P42DCs are runing on Amtrak's Keystone Trains? :)
P-42DCs are running on the Keystone trains between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. An E-60s, AEM-7, or HHP-8 take the Keystone trains between New York and Philadelphia.

P-42DCs are now the main power for Amtrak. :)

Do any of the Keystone trains ever run electric straight thru to Harrisburg? They have catenary there, might as well use it.

I've heard that there have been a few trains lately that have run through with electric the whole way.

Additionally both Amtrak and the State of Pennsylvania are currently re-doing the catenary between Philly and Harrisburg. Therefore it would appear that the long term plan is to return that section of the route to all electric engines.

AlanB said:
I've heard that there have been a few trains lately that have run through with electric the whole way.
Additionally both Amtrak and the State of Pennsylvania are currently re-doing the catenary between Philly and Harrisburg. Therefore it would appear that the long term plan is to return that section of the route to all electric engines.
Great, the more electrics we have running the better. Especially when we don't need engine changes. Now if only Keystone Corridor Trains had food service... B)

Thats great that they are using the catenary at least on some trains between Philly and Harrisburg. Alot of P40s are in storage now though there are some that have been painted into Phase Vb and are assigned to the Auto Train while a few are still running trains up here in the Northeast out of Albany, Springfield, and Boston.

Viewliner said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
Are all P40s are not in Service? :)
No, I think they're still used on the Auto Train.
Amfleet is correct. The only routes where P-40's are seen on a regular basis are the Auto Train and Sunnyset from ORL-NOL. These P-40's are 832-836 and 838-843. Ocasionally when Silver Service has engine trouble a P-40 will be added in Sanford to get the train over the road. The unit is returned two days later on another Silver Service train. As for the rest of the P-40's, some are still hanging around some crew bases (like BOS) for emergency power or MOW service. The vast majority though have been removed from service. Some of the engines are having their cab signal units stripped so that they can be installed in P-32-8s (the DASH 8s will become the new MOW workhorse on the NEC).

Sometime soon I'd guess, 513 is having cab signals installed in Wilmington right now, with 512 and 514 coming up soon.

Are there still some F40PHs assigned to work service in the corridor? How about GP40TCS?

Good question. I did see some GP40's in Wilmington (no good photo op though), no sign of an F-40 except for its wheels. For the most part the E-60's were handling the work trains (mostly 620 and 621) because the E-60 is a good hauling engine, but not good at high speeds.

Yes a P-42 runs on the north end of each Downeaster trainset, there are only two that run on the Downeaster, one per set.

battalion51 said:
Viewliner said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
Are all P40s are not in Service? :)
No, I think they're still used on the Auto Train.
Amfleet is correct. The only routes where P-40's are seen on a regular basis are the Auto Train and Sunnyset from ORL-NOL. These P-40's are 832-836 and 838-843. Ocasionally when Silver Service has engine trouble a P-40 will be added in Sanford to get the train over the road. The unit is returned two days later on another Silver Service train. As for the rest of the P-40's, some are still hanging around some crew bases (like BOS) for emergency power or MOW service. The vast majority though have been removed from service. Some of the engines are having their cab signal units stripped so that they can be installed in P-32-8s (the DASH 8s will become the new MOW workhorse on the NEC).
Um, you quoted me there chief.

Amfleet said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
When all P42s had Phase V Paint? :)
The first unit in Phase V paint was delievered in November of 2000. Since then most other untis have been painted into Phase V. By 2004 all P-42s should be in Phase V. :)
He speaks the truth, :p :lol: . I have always found it interesting how 4 remain in the old red white and blue scheme. A friend of mine saw one while up in chicago. A link to the Photo below.

Picture #1 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back