Amtrak P42DC.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm right there with on #1, not there on the 199 though. I discussed this with an Engineer and a few Conductors, what the Engineer said had the most impact on me though. He said "When you're climbing up that ladder to go to work you don't want to know that one of your brothers was killed in this unit, it's just better that it try to blend in as much as possible."

I agree Amfleet, one should be named for Claytor too, he was a good president. Also they should name 803 after me, because Im a big fan of the 803, even though its out of service probably forever :( Ive never gotten to see her pullin a train either :(

P40Power said:
I agree Amfleet, one should be named for Claytor too, he was a good president. Also they should name 803 after me, because Im a big fan of the 803, even though its out of service probably forever :( Ive never gotten to see her pullin a train either :(
I don't think the P-40's are gone for ever. In the next 5 years (when Amtrak should still be running) Gunn is getting rid of the P-32-8s according to his plan. That means some P-40's should return to service. I would also expect some P-42s will become inoperational for various reasons (wrecks, derailments, the occasional fire, etc) which would need replacing. B)

Well Id like to see some of them to return to service, you guys talk like the P40s are better units then the P42s are, so I think it would be a waste to scrap good units. Now if they would only paint them back into their original paint . . . . well I can dream cant I :rolleyes:

P40Power said:
Well Id like to see some of them to return to service, you guys talk like the P40s are better units then the P42s are, so I think it would be a waste to scrap good units. Now if they would only paint them back into their original paint . . . . well I can dream cant I :rolleyes:
I would actually suspect a few out of service units may still be in Phase III.

Don't forget Gentlemen there are still 11 running everyday a week. Ahhh, bask in the glory of the pride and joy.

Hell no. The day AT starts using P-42's permanently is the day I roll over and die. LONG LIVE P-40's!!!

I doubt any P40s out of service are still in Phase III, they were all painted into Phase IV before they started storing them. The only one which never made it was the Alabama Mud Missle, #819 which went down with the Sunset Limited in the infamous wreck in the Buyou in 93. It was only like 2 weeks old at the time.

battalion51 said:
Hell no. The day AT starts using P-42's permanently is the day I roll over and die. LONG LIVE P-40's!!!
See Battalion knows whats up as well, and I agree with him all the way . . LONG LIVE THE P40s!

Ummm...guys 819 is still running, except we know it as P-42 98. It has P-40 style control stand water damge and everything.

battalion51 said:
I'm right there with on #1, not there on the 199 though. I discussed this with an Engineer and a few Conductors, what the Engineer said had the most impact on me though. He said "When you're climbing up that ladder to go to work you don't want to know that one of your brothers was killed in this unit, it's just better that it try to blend in as much as possible."
I can certainly understand that B51 and sympathize with an engineer having to climb into that unit, if it ever does return to service.

That said, I still think that some type of memorial should be set up for that poor engineer who did loose his life. I don't know what the right answer is, but one should be found. If the firefighters in NYC can have a memorial for doing their jobs and sadly loosing their lives for events beyond their control, then that engineer and his family deserve no less.

REALLY? 98 has the equipment from 819?? wow I would have NEVER thought the equipment would be any good after a wreck like that, yikes. Did 98s stand go bad and was replaced with the gutted contents of 819? As for Alan and Battalions posts about 199, I can see where you guys are comming from now. Well I would presume he would be memorialized, since doesnt all the Amtrak employees who have lost their lives on duty have their names put on that plaque in DC union station?

It is in washington. I'm pretty sure it's in the small connector hallway between the grand waiting area and the gates (right across from ClubAcela). You should be able to find it, it's a large black and gold plaque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back