Amtrak snack bars lost $84.5 million last year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You want some real savings, lets eliminate the bathrooms on all Amtrak trains. They don't produce any revenue either! Plus you can save the cost of refilling the water and removing the waste. I doubt if Amtrak passengers won't mind "holding it in".

Weapons- Holder of (3) concealed weapons permits permitting me to conceal carry in (30) states requiring me to know every detail of all (50) states weapons use/concealment and transportation regulations.
My conceal weapon permit has reciprocity in (36) states....not sure what that has to do with Amtrak....but, since we're measuring and all....

Can we get back to what's REALLY important? Namely, why does the cafe always run out of the good beer????
Shortline,

Has NOTHING to do with AMTRAK until some uneducated people on the site made comments about weapons ( all guns are weapons, all weapons are not necessarily guns. Had to teach them that) to which they possibly couldn't have practical knowledge of. As an example I can normally spot a CCW person about 75% of the time. I am 64 and have been doing this a long time. There are "tells" that you are carrying, but I am NOT going to divulge them on a public forum. Some people also think there are NO people on trains that are conceal carrying. I smile and let them think what they want. It all started with the shooting on a train station in Texas.

OK, on to the beer. Anticipating demand is an art and a science. As a former McDonald's manager, I can say they may be one of the best as far as predicting demand because of their excellent record keeping. Like where I worked in Northeastern Pocono we knew that Fridays between noon and 7:00 PM May-October that we where going to do a lot more drive thru because:

A. Local football crowd wanted grab food to eat on the way to the game

B. The resort crowd wanted something to eat on the way to their Pocono resort so they wanted to get the most of their vacation buck at the resort.

AMTRAK "hopefully: is doing that OR is going to start. I can tell you that Micky D's does not have a lot of waste. I think the labor cost percentage for AMTRAK is probably higher than the food percentage cost.

OK. Although I normally don't eat at McD's much any more as I live in Las Vegas and am addicted to In N' Out Burgers, I'll share some McD's secrets you may or may not know. This is for people who DON'T have to have eveything super sized.

1. Eat between 11:00 AM-1:00 and 4:00-6:00 when the meat is the freshest as it is keep in warmers.

2. Order fries UNSALTED and then you can put your own salt on your HOT and FRESH fries. Most places leave the salted fries in the tray past their throw away times. nothing like cold, greasy, salted fries.

3. If you are a Big Mac fan from the $1.00 Menu order (2) McDouble cheeseburgers, NO ketchup/mustard, ADD shredded lettuce and Big Mac sauce, and small fries and small soda. Bingo you have a Big Mac and a half, fresh hot fries and soda. When you are done take your empty soda cup to the counter (if they are NOT self serve) and ask for a refill. If if the owner has a no refill policy, the minimum wage workers are not going to waste their time arguing with you.

For about a $1.00-1.50 less than a medium Big Mac value meal (depending where you live) you got a Big Mac and half excepting you got small fries.

NAVYBLUE

Yes The North Carolina Amtrak train the "Piedmont" services have a lounge car with vending machines. I've ridden several times and it works great as far as I can tell. I see no downside to it. You can get all the usual soft drinks, juices, chips, and candy.

Most times it is best to simply ignore posts that are not too much on topics, and bring nothing to the discussion :unsure:

(Like this one, maybe?)
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes The North Carolina Amtrak train the "Piedmont" services have a lounge car with vending machines. I've ridden several times and it works great as far as I can tell. I see no downside to it. You can get all the usual soft drinks, juices, chips, and candy.
But it's important to note that one cannot have a meal on the Piedmont service. There are no sandwiches or anything of substance in terms of one wanting to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's snacks only.

Correct Alan... It works great for shorter corridor trains. While machines do exist that could sell pre made sandwiches, salads, etc ala "convenience store style" those items need to be constantly refrigerated, which means those cars would need constant power, or else be completely stocks and unstocked each day. Still doable, but some logistical issues would occur.

Correct Alan... It works great for shorter corridor trains. While machines do exist that could sell pre made sandwiches, salads, etc ala "convenience store style" those items need to be constantly refrigerated, which means those cars would need constant power, or else be completely stocks and unstocked each day. Still doable, but some logistical issues would occur.
True..."full automat" machines would be an option, and probably more workable than they were back in the 60s when they were thrown onto some trains.

Does anyone have any numbers to compare the cost recovery and passenger acceptance of the vending machines on Piedmont trains, the contracted-out cafe car services on Downeaster trains, the cart service on Hiawatha trains, and the "regular" cafe car services on other corridor trains?

I recall the Downeaster situation getting some coverage at one of the various Congressional hearings recently. Of course, I don't expect anything particularly substantive to come out of these Congressional hearings and think-tank Amtrak hit pieces, but hopefully it's not just wishful thinking to believe that some of the various options could be adopted to perhaps reduce food service-related losses.

Sorry, but I just had to reply. The govt doesn't "give" any money to "oil" companies. Energy firms are allowed certain tax credits for taking risks in exploration.
Tax subsidy. That's very much a subsidy -- if I get a tax break for buying an electric car, that's also a subsidy.

If they find oil or gas they get to deduct a small portion of their expenses in this regard, AND the taxpayer wins, since they then in turn must pay royalties (assuming they are exploring on federal or state land) to the govt.
The royalties are FAR below market rates. That's also a subsidy!

[quoute]Subsidy-again show me in the tax code(which I understand) where anybody gets a subsidy. Let me help the uneducated understand a subsidy. As a young Navy E4, I could not afford a house. There was a FHA program called FHA-235 started in the 60s and their were various versions of it. I qualified for this no down payment program. The mortgage was $335/month. I paid $225/month. The FHA SUBSIDIZED the remaining amount by paying the other $100. Every April I had to send FHA a copy of my tax return. AS I got promoted and made more money, my mortgage share increased to $335/month as I got promotions/longevity raises and the SUBSIDY decreased form $100 to zero in (3) years. This subsidy had NOTHING to do with the tax code. It had to do with a Congressional LAW being passed. So saying we give the oil companies money/subsidies is an UNTRUTH (politically correct)
Or, more accurately, it's the truth. If you choose to pretend that a tax deduction for oil companies only (percentage depletion, domestic activities production credit) is not a subsidy, this is simply not the modern (post-1900) meaning of the word subsidy. If you choose to pretend that a below-market royalty rate is not a subsidy, this is simply a misuse of the word subsidy. If you want to say that it's not a *government expenditure*, that's fine and accurate, but these are *all* subsidies, just as any below-market deal or special tax break for an industry is in fact a subsidy.

Next you'll be saying that providing rent-free housing isn't "providing a subsidy". Consider this definition from the Concise Encylopedia: "Financial assistance, either through direct payments or through indirect means such as price cuts and favourable contracts, to a person or group in order to promote a public objective."

This doesn't make the subsidies inherently bad, but pretending that they're not subsidies is economically unjustifiable. As you know, having studied economics.

By the way, you may ask how I know that the royalties paid by oil companies to the Federal Government are at far-below-market rates.

My family used to own some of those leases on federal land, dating from the 1920s. They're actually leases, cancellable at will with fairly short notice by Congress since approximately 1940, but Congress keeps renewing them without renegotiation. The royalty rates hadn't been increased since 1920. The market rates -- the percentages which an oil company will offer a *private* landowner to lease their land to an oil company, particularly for land where oil is already known to exist -- have gone up very significantly since 1920. Rebidding would probably get 12%; the current 1920s-era leases are at 8% or less.

Congress is just letting the oil companies take the money. Subsidy. This has been a bipartisan activity for decades.

Don't get me started on percentage depletion, which is completely abusive (and which my family benefited from) -- though thankfully some Democrats managed to get the scope of it reduced (so only *small* oil companies benefit from it), back in the '80s IIRC.

But it's important to note that one cannot have a meal on the Piedmont service. There are no sandwiches or anything of substance in terms of one wanting to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's snacks only.
Well, the entire Piedmont run is only 3 hours from end to end. Vending machines are plenty.

Note that the Shinkansen completely eliminated restaurant service in 2000, though it had been in considerable decline since the mid 90's. Tokyo - Osaka = 2.5 hours.

I still beleive there should be a strong trolley service offering drinks at seats, fresh sandwiches, things that can remain cool. Though there would have to be a retrofit of at least one or two coaches per trainset to accomodate such.

Well, the entire Piedmont run is only 3 hours from end to end. Vending machines are plenty.
Sure, if all one is doing is riding just the Piedmont and one has time to prepare ahead.

But if for example one is connecting from the northbound Silver Star and it's running a bit late, one could find oneself going without lunch.

Sure, if all one is doing is riding just the Piedmont and one has time to prepare ahead.

But if for example one is connecting from the northbound Silver Star and it's running a bit late, one could find oneself going without lunch.
You have a valid point. And at risk of sounding like Bruce Richardson, this is where a 24-hour diner on the LDs can be of great benefit.

You have a valid point. And at risk of sounding like Bruce Richardson, this is where a 24-hour diner on the LDs can be of great benefit.
Contrary to what Bruce continues to say, the 24 hour diner was not a success! High labor cost and minimal revenue! Most people getting on the train in the middleofthe night are intereted in sleeping and not eating.

Hi,

The ticket desks take in massive amounts of revenue, and only have a few staff, so are they fantastically profitable?

The repair depot just spends money, is that a total loss maker that should be scrapped?

It is a joke to isolate one part of an operation as loss making, when the health of the whole depends on the sum of its parts...

Ed :cool:

Is the vending machine situation on the Piedmont such that it could be duplicated on other trains? I think a soda/snack machine on the lower level of the sightseers, in place of a booth or the mystery closets, would bring in several hundred dollars per run at Amtrak pricing. It picks up the sales from hours when the cafe is not open due to meal breaks or overnight.

Sorry, but I just had to reply. The govt doesn't "give" any money to "oil" companies. Energy firms are allowed certain tax credits for taking risks in exploration.
Tax subsidy. That's very much a subsidy -- if I get a tax break for buying an electric car, that's also a subsidy.

If they find oil or gas they get to deduct a small portion of their expenses in this regard, AND the taxpayer wins, since they then in turn must pay royalties (assuming they are exploring on federal or state land) to the govt.

[quoute]Subsidy-again show me in the tax code(which I understand) where anybody gets a subsidy. Let me help the uneducated understand a subsidy. As a young Navy E4, I could not afford a house. There was a FHA program called FHA-235 started in the 60s and their were various versions of it. I qualified for this no down payment program. The mortgage was $335/month. I paid $225/month. The FHA SUBSIDIZED the remaining amount by paying the other $100. Every April I had to send FHA a copy of my tax return. AS I got promoted and made more money, my mortgage share increased to $335/month as I got promotions/longevity raises and the SUBSIDY decreased form $100 to zero in (3) years. This subsidy had NOTHING to do with the tax code. It had to do with a Congressional LAW being passed. So saying we give the oil companies money/subsidies is an UNTRUTH (politically correct)
Or, more accurately, it's the truth. If you choose to pretend that a tax deduction for oil companies only (percentage depletion, domestic activities production credit) is not a subsidy, this is simply not the modern (post-1900) meaning of the word subsidy. If you choose to pretend that a below-market royalty rate is not a subsidy, this is simply a misuse of the word subsidy. If you want to say that it's not a *government expenditure*, that's fine and accurate, but these are *all* subsidies, just as any below-market deal or special tax break for an industry is in fact a subsidy.

Next you'll be saying that providing rent-free housing isn't "providing a subsidy". Consider this definition from the Concise Encylopedia: "Financial assistance, either through direct payments or through indirect means such as price cuts and favourable contracts, to a person or group in order to promote a public objective."

This doesn't make the subsidies inherently bad, but pretending that they're not subsidies is economically unjustifiable. As you know, having studied economics.
You can have your own opinion, BUT you can not have your own facts. DO NOT use definitions from Concise Encyclopedia/Wiki when they have "legal" consequences. As a former business manager, I deal in the LAW, not touchy feely anti capitalism dissertations from dictionaries, Yahoo finance, Wiki, Huffington Post, PMSNBC etc.

http://definitions.u....com/s/subsidy/ Subsidy Law and Legal Definition

"A subsidy is generally a special money payment by a government to one or more firms in a favored industry, usually for the purpose of enabling them to sell one or more of their products at a price below their costs of production, or at least at a price below the free market price. "

"An example of a subsidy is a farm subsidy paid annually to farmers by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The most expensive USDA programs are the field crop programs such as the wheat and corn programs. Annually the USDA gives farmers more than $9 billion a year in direct payments. The USDA offers to pay farmers per bushel of commodity at a guaranteed price, invariably set above the market price."

Oil companies sell their products ABOVE the their costs of production WITHOUT subsidies..

http://www.nypost.co...U9QIO0BKHs1Be7M

"Oil companies can deduct their expenses for things like equipment purchases and rig-technicians' salaries. Oil companies can also deduct expenses related to exploration or development. The point of these deductions as for any other industry or individual — is to ensure taxes are only levied on income after expenses."

"But even these deductions aren't unique to energy companies. Many provisions in the tax code seek to encourage certain kinds of behavior. Mortgage deductions reward home ownership. Special tax benefits promote savings in individual retirement accounts or 401(k)s."

"Now, some energy-sector players do get federal subsidies. The wind and solar sectors alone take in $12.5 billion annually in direct subsidies. (Actually they are GRANTS)"

I've tried to make it as simple as I could. The IRS is the law, not anti capitalism rhetoric. The IRS spends millions of dollars a year on accountants to make sure you report expenses and income correctly. I think I'll trust them first.

You can call LEGAL tax deductions subsidies all day, That doesn't make it true. I know it is "cool" in certain circles and political groups to demonize the oil and gas business (which I have NEVER worked for) and it makes them feel angry like they are getting screwed somehow and they "feel" they "need" to right a wrong and vote for someone who will stop them from taking LEGAL deductions. I'm sorry. I can't help people like that.

Also, I'm sorry I took so long to reply to you. I have been on my other favorite sites for a couple of days. I was explaining on one site (at length) the Social Security Retirement and Disability system (which I taught for 20+ years in Navy benefits classes). Can you believe it. Some of the people were so stupid, oops, UNEDUCATED, that actually thought there is real cash in the Social Security trust fund in Parkersburg WV.

NAVYBLUE

Getting back to the original topic, does anyone know how the loss was calculated?

Did they charge a portion of the total cost of running the train to the cafe car?

Is the loss just including food cost, food sales, employee salary, and management costs to directly run the operation?

How much of the business/first class income did they allocate to the food income? Just the food cost or a portion of the revenue for the more expensive service?

How much of the sleeper revenue was put to the food income? Again, the food cost or the value of the provided meal at full price?

Those are the real questions as to whether food was a money loser. Claiming a portion of a service is "losing money" when the overall service is losing money could be a legitimate claim or it could be a "cost shift" which should be charged to another area. Correspondingly, if the loss was caused by high personnel costs, was that due to the number and pay of the front-line employees or the loaded cost because of too much management overhead and how much of the management overhead was put on that employee "cost"?

Contrary to what Bruce continues to say, the 24 hour diner was not a success! High labor cost and minimal revenue! Most people getting on the train in the middleofthe night are intereted in sleeping and not eating.
To split the baby a bit on the present system vs. this, what do you think a diner-club setup (i.e. something with full meal service in some form operating, say, 16 hours per day) would do on this front? I agree that 24-hour diner service is unlikely to work (though in some cases, extreme-hour cafe service might be merited (especially in the case of trains far off schedule where you get folks occasionally stuck waiting for hours in a station without food service at that time).

You can have your own opinion, BUT you can not have your own facts. DO NOT use definitions from Concise Encyclopedia/Wiki when they have "legal" consequences. As a former business manager, I deal in the LAW, not touchy feely anti capitalism dissertations from dictionaries, Yahoo finance, Wiki, Huffington Post, PMSNBC etc.

http://definitions.u....com/s/subsidy/ Subsidy Law and Legal Definition

"A subsidy is generally a special money payment by a government to one or more firms in a favored industry, usually for the purpose of enabling them to sell one or more of their products at a price below their costs of production, or at least at a price below the free market price. "

"An example of a subsidy is a farm subsidy paid annually to farmers by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The most expensive USDA programs are the field crop programs such as the wheat and corn programs. Annually the USDA gives farmers more than $9 billion a year in direct payments. The USDA offers to pay farmers per bushel of commodity at a guaranteed price, invariably set above the market price."

Oil companies sell their products ABOVE the their costs of production WITHOUT subsidies..

http://www.nypost.co...U9QIO0BKHs1Be7M

"Oil companies can deduct their expenses for things like equipment purchases and rig-technicians' salaries. Oil companies can also deduct expenses related to exploration or development. The point of these deductions as for any other industry or individual — is to ensure taxes are only levied on income after expenses."

"But even these deductions aren't unique to energy companies. Many provisions in the tax code seek to encourage certain kinds of behavior. Mortgage deductions reward home ownership. Special tax benefits promote savings in individual retirement accounts or 401(k)s."

"Now, some energy-sector players do get federal subsidies. The wind and solar sectors alone take in $12.5 billion annually in direct subsidies. (Actually they are GRANTS)"

I've tried to make it as simple as I could. The IRS is the law, not anti capitalism rhetoric. The IRS spends millions of dollars a year on accountants to make sure you report expenses and income correctly. I think I'll trust them first.

You can call LEGAL tax deductions subsidies all day, That doesn't make it true. I know it is "cool" in certain circles and political groups to demonize the oil and gas business (which I have NEVER worked for) and it makes them feel angry like they are getting screwed somehow and they "feel" they "need" to right a wrong and vote for someone who will stop them from taking LEGAL deductions. I'm sorry. I can't help people like that.

Also, I'm sorry I took so long to reply to you. I have been on my other favorite sites for a couple of days. I was explaining on one site (at length) the Social Security Retirement and Disability system (which I taught for 20+ years in Navy benefits classes). Can you believe it. Some of the people were so stupid, oops, UNEDUCATED, that actually thought there is real cash in the Social Security trust fund in Parkersburg WV.

NAVYBLUE

Is there a field in which you have not worked as an expert? Do you do brain surgery in your spare time? You may be correct; however your method of delivery leaves a lot to be desired. Let's stick to trains and we all will be happy as "uneducated" as we are!

I was actually wondering if it might just be possible to get back to the Amtrak Snack bar discussion. But maybe not. :unsure: Afterall we have a volunteer professor of economics amongst us :p

Frankly I am looking for a discussion of how much money was lost per axle on the snack bar car and if perhaps the loss on a single axle could be reduced without affecting the other axles. :) Maybe we could just eliminate the axle and run the car on 3 axles. That would remove the loss from that axle, no? :help:

Why stop there? As long as you eliminate 1 axle per truck, you can reduce your losses by 50% by going to a 2 axle car!
I think a better measure would be loss per door. Then we could totally eliminate losses by building a doorless cafe car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back