Anyone else tired of "your crazy for taking the train" remarks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a reason why the phone number for the Auto Train is 1-800-SKIP I95!
Some of the best Amtrak billboards ever went up along I-95 in the Carolinas in the mid 1990's. They simply said "Tired Yet?" in huge blurry letters and then in smaller, clearer print "Next Time try Amtrak's Auto-Train."

The only issue with this campaign that I know of is that a fellow I knew who was the Amtrak agent working the third shift (Silver Meteor arrivals and departures) at the Fayetteville, NC station said the he experienced an uptick of motorists tooling in off I-95 around mid-night wanting to know if they could get the Auto-Train out of Fayetteville that night!

For people that find issues with trains, they probably don't want to take the train anyhow. These same people would just blow off the same issue if it was on a plane or bus. We are probably like that with trains because we like train travel.

As far as a family taking the train, I had a discussion with a coworker about taking the train to Boston or New York. His claim was that it was much cheaper to drive. First, he was underestimating the cost to drive. He was only using the amount for the gas to go. He didn't count insurance, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. I still stand by the government rate of .565 per mile. I have been tracking my expenses with my vehicles, and the car that is paid off is about .52 a mile for the miles I put on it. But I have to put tires, brakes, inspection, and insurance in the next month which is going to add a few cents to the overall cost. I buy a car and keep it until it is at 75% of its life where this guy buys a new car every 3 years. Second, he didn't include tolls, parking, and just the stress of having to drive. I have to put a value on my time of driving vs. just sitting and relaxing. He didn't see it that way.
I've done my share of long drives and I did consider it for this trip but was concerned about weather in the mountains and my vehicles ability to handle that terrain along with the entirety of the trip as a whole, just not something I want to deal with. And even when I've used rental cars in the past I still had worries, the ones you mentioned along with a few more like unexpected construction and health issues (10 to 12 hours of driving takes a toll when you have nobody to share driving time with). I don't have the constitution I had when I was in my 20s. I still have a sense of adventure but not that much, not like back then.

I will get the 'why?' but after I explain it's not much of an issue after that. I don't need to 'defend' my choice....I know it's better!!!

I have a friend who's a commercial airline pilot. I turned her onto Amtrak a few years ago and we do one long distance trip each year! I love hearing her tell of sharing our adventures with the other pilots that she fly's with! They are amazed and getting more curious to try Amtrak themselves. :giggle:
AU has a member who's a commercial pilot. In fact he came to the recent Gathering in Chicago from New Orleans - by train! When I first met him, he was a volunteer - at the Dallas Amtrak station. :)
As for my, they gave up long ago. But they still question why I go from Chicago to Rhode Island via the west coast or from Rhode Island to Philadelphia via LA! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the comparison to Airline travel I can't say I have the same negative experience as a lot of others have had here. I flew about 90,000 miles last year and never had any major issues. Yes Security is a bit annoying, but if you know what you're doing it's really not all that hard. Would I rather take the train?
I have a number of specialized toiletries, and I literally am not allowed to take them on the plane. (What am I supposed to do, decant my toothpaste into a separate tube which is not a standard size?!? How?!?) So airline travel means at best, spectacular hassle and at worst, lack of access to what I'm comfortable with *for the whole trip*. Train or bus or car, I just take what I want.
My fiancee has a more impressive reason. On a plane trip of longer than about 15 minutes, her joints have often freeze up, so she often *can't move* and has to be physically carried out of the airplane. Yuck. Train? Easy enough to get up and stretch.

I've done my share of long drives and I did consider it for this trip but was concerned about weather in the mountains and my vehicles ability to handle that terrain along with the entirety of the trip as a whole, just not something I want to deal with.
I still do long drives -- the thing is, being a sensible person, I have to pace myself, be cautious, swap drivers every 2 hours, not drive more than 8 hours a day.... it ends up being an exhausting trip, and more importantly *it's actually slower than taking the train* if the train goes there, because the train can travel day and night and through meals at 79 mph or more. So I only drive when the train *doesn't* go from here to there. (My current top desire route: East Coast to Michigan. No, bus from Toledo is not cool -- I get carsick in those things.)

I don't think I've ever heard "you're crazy for taking the train." Perhaps that's a sign that my friends think I'm crazy in general already, so they just consider train riding further evidence of my insanity.

My standard response is to shake my head and say, "If you need to ask, you'll never understand," and chuckle quietly.

I don't get that when we take the train to Chicago. People in lower Michigan think it's great when they learn they can take the train instead of driving and paying to park downtown. I've turned a lot of friends onto Amtrak "day trips", and I get a lot of responses to my train pictures. Those who don't take Amtrak use the South Shore Line out of Indiana, as it's sometimes cheaper and has a much more flexible schedule.

As for the LD trip to ABQ every year, we used to get a lot of raised eyebrows, but then people saw my pictures and heard about the food and thought it sounded pretty awesome. For them, the major "con" is time. They can't fathom spending two days on a train when we could be there in 3-4 hours. I explain that Brent is terrified of flying, and then it makes more sense. If they haven't seen my pictures yet, I send them a link to my albums so they can see what coach, the roomettes, and the scenery looks like. I'm trying to put together a travel blog so I can properly pimp out Amtrak.

For this recent trip to Dallas, people are really confused because I'm not afraid to fly, and work is paying for the trip. The problem was, I was supposed to fly out the Sunday after Thanksgiving. By the time my dates were confirmed, almost every single flight from Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Chicago was sold out. Those that were available left at 6:00 AM and had one, maybe two, middle seats available. When I thought about going to O'Hare on the busiest weekend of the year and then cramming myself into a middle seat for three hours, I called our corporate travel dept right away and asked if Amtrak was an option. ^_^ They were pretty thrilled, since the rail fare (I had to pay for the roomette upgrade) was much, much cheaper than any of the flights I'd found.

When I told people at work about it, they were so shocked and kept asking why I would take a longer trip. I told them I'd rather be comfy in my quiet, solitary roomette with my pajamas and books and really good food for a day and a half than deal with security at O'Hare and a middle seat on a plane. It'll be more like a vacation than a business trip.

Yesterday for the umpteenth time I had to defend my desire to travel in peace, comfort, and relaxation compared to the nightmare of the airport/airplane hassle; I get so tired of explaining to people all the positives to train travel and more importantly, the enjoyment I get from it. And oftentimes the truly negative nelly's have never even taken Amtrak and if they have it was eons ago. Fortunately a few people expressed genuine interest or even fascination when I described my itinerary, but those are few and far between, /sigh.

How do all of you handle the criticism toward taking trains in general and Amtrak specifically?
I've just read your question & none of the other posts responding to it.So, all I can say is that at one time I found myself trying to defend my love for train travel. As time went on, I realized that as long as I loved it, it didnt matter what others thought! After all, they're not paying for it!!!!

Over the years the ones that may be interested have approached me with their questions. And now, I'm sharing my good times instead of defending them!!!

Have Fun

RF

Oh yeah. I should have said that if people remain critical and insist I'm "crazy", I tell them I'm too fat to fly (not true), so I have to travel by train. That shuts them up pretty quickly. ;)

I've only had to do that twice, and both people are Negative Nellies who criticize my every action, so I'm not ashamed to say I got a little bit of glee out of it.

Continuing to insist I'm "crazy" for doing something I obviously enjoy is right up there with nagging me about why I don't want to have kids. It's my life, not theirs, so I usually make a comment that makes them feel awkward (as they should) or tell them straight up that my decisions for my life don't affect their life in any way. I'm a pretty straight shot when it comes to getting people to mind their own business.

I continue to get questions along these lines as I'm known as the "Train Guy" among those who know me. Taking the train just isn't considered in many parts of the country where there is only one stoop per day each way. When I was in St. Cloud, for example, many locals' impression of Amtrak was influenced by if it was on time in their town. Once they looked at the utter absence of timeliness, just in their town alone, they combined that with the fact that it was scheduled to stop in the middle of the night or before dawn. There were several who just said, "forget it," they would prefer to drive on their own schedule.

In my experience, folks who've never traveled by train will immediately compare the time to driving, and if the train is "slower," then some will be dismayed. Still others will be put off by the cost of the sleepers, while some with families will see the time on the train as a long time with little to occupy their munchkins. So, for many reasons, based upon a lack of familiarity with train travel, folks will be reluctant. Face it: many of the general population live in areas where it has been once per day each way since 1971, know little to nothing of trains, and have never even felt the desire to take a train trip. I think the lack of train service in so many areas for almost two generations is making it tough to expand service, as folks have no personal experience to offset what train service opponents are stating (example: Wisconsin).

One of the issues that I've encountered is that if the train doesn't stop in their town, then folks won't even think about it -- won't even consider taking a train trip -- and it can be very difficult (as we in WI have experienced) to discuss service to areas that haven't had service for a generation or more (example: Madison, WI).

Anyways, it works for me -- and I enjoy train travel.

Around 1990 I chose to take the Crescent round trip from Slidell, LA (SDL) to WAS for a business meeting. Upon reviewing my expense account, the Finance Director called me into his office to explain "Why In Heavens Name Did You Take A T-R-A-I-N???"

After pointing out that a round trip flight from Gulfport, MS to Reagan National cost $1250, and because of airline schedules, I would need two nights at the Marriot Crystal City at $200 each, yet my expense report showed only $750 for AMTRAK Round Trip Sleeper without overnight hotels, Gerald said, "Enjoy your trip."

Insufficient legroom, the peeve that clinched the top spot in last year’s poll, ranked first as the most notable nuisance. Next on the list, however, came loud or disruptive passengers, which moved up from last year’s fifth place. The following two peeves, seatmate taking up too much space and passenger in front reclining seat, revisit the desire for unencroached-upon personal space in-flight.

Odoriferous passengers ranked fifth, followed by misbehaving children and coughing or obviously not well passengers in sixth and seventh place. Misbehaving adults (eighth), rude cabin crew (ninth), and dirty lavatories (tenth) finished off the top ten list.

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/11/lack-of-personal-space-and-disruptive-passengers-are-biggest-air-travel-pet-peeves/

Here's my two cents:

1) Insufficient legroom - when possible, take the train! Fantastic room to stretch out. And, walk around as often as you want to. Why be glued to a seat?

2) Loud or disruptive passengers - O.K., that happens on trains also. But, you can walk away from this. Ask the Conductor to deal with unruly passengers and they DO. No kidding, I've actually seen unruly passengers detrained at the next stop. You can't deplane such passengers although I'm sure it's a passing thought.

3) Seatmate taking up too much space. Refer to solution mentioned in #1. Reclining seat encroaching on your space? Doesn't happen on the train. There is more than adequate space front and back.

4) Odoiferous passengers? O.K., that can happen on a train. Solution? Move to another car. Better yet, visit the bar car, get a drink and meet fellow passengers.

5) Misbehaving children and coughing or obviously not well passengers? Refer to solution mentioned in #1

6) Misbehaving adults? Really! They need to grow up. If they're really getting out of hand just find the Conductor. They'll deal with it promptly! Refer to #2.

7) Rude cabin crew? Wow! That's despicable. One should not experience this. Solution on a train? Tell the Conductor! He or she will deal with it. In case they don't you always have recourse later by contacting Amtrak directly. They do take action with bad employee behavior seriously.

8) Dirty lavatories? Yep. That can be an issue on trains also. Some people are just pigs. A good crew will work hard to to keep it clean. Gotta say, it's much better in sleepers than in coach.

I've never had much grief from anyone thinking I'm nuts for taking the train. The only one who has even said anything along those lines is my sister, and I think she's chock full of nutty notions. :p Besides, I think she's only kidding me. I think ;)

On the other hand, I have had many people ask me about the train: how are the accomodations, food, pricing, etc. Most are seemingly amazed that Amtrak runs anywhere near here. I guess they figure Amtrak only runs through major cities, and Spokane doesn't count. :wacko:

That's fine if they think I'm crazy for taking the train. I think they're crazy for putting themselves and their children through all the indignity faced at TSA checkpoints: you know, assuming the surrender position in a body scanner and/or allowing a stranger to touch them in very intimate places on their body. Cops can't even perform such procedures. For the ones who get to navigate a security checkpoint untouched and are priveleged to use the metal detectors instead of the nudie nukers.....good for them. I don't want to take my chances of having to make a decision to leave the airport. So I choose the train.

It's not that my friends think I'm crazy for choosing this form of transportation, per se. It's more like they think I'm a prude for not allowing the TSA to have their way with my body. Their measures violate my religious views beliefs, and morals, which I won't compromise. Furthermore, these "enhanced" security procedures are neither necessary or effective. It's a shame that such an "advanced" country as ours can't figure out a way to secure an airplane without treating its own innocent citizens like criminals.

At least I'm free on the train.

That's fine if they think I'm crazy for taking the train. I think they're crazy for putting themselves and their children through all the indignity faced at TSA checkpoints: you know, assuming the surrender position in a body scanner and/or allowing a stranger to touch them in very intimate places on their body. Cops can't even perform such procedures. For the ones who get to navigate a security checkpoint untouched and are priveleged to use the metal detectors instead of the nudie nukers.....good for them. I don't want to take my chances of having to make a decision to leave the airport. So I choose the train.

It's not that my friends think I'm crazy for choosing this form of transportation, per se. It's more like they think I'm a prude for not allowing the TSA to have their way with my body. Their measures violate my religious views beliefs, and morals, which I won't compromise. Furthermore, these "enhanced" security procedures are neither necessary or effective. It's a shame that such an "advanced" country as ours can't figure out a way to secure an airplane without treating its own innocent citizens like criminals.

At least I'm free on the train.
This is THE reason (minus violation of my religious beliefs, as I am an atheist) I started taking Amtrak for vacations. TSA has done long-term damage to airlines because not only have I abandoned air travel due to "security"(-theater) at airports, hurting airlines' immediate revenue, I've also discovered how wonderful the onboard experience is with Amtrak and would be very reluctant to return to airlines even if TSA is abolished entirely. And I'm certain I'm not the only one - for each person that voices an opinion like this, how many more are there who are doing the same thing (e.g. switching permanently from air to rail) and just not mentioning it aloud?

The only passenger-visible security I saw on my recent trip to/from CHI<-->PVD was an Amtrak cop and his dog in ClubAcela in DC, likely on break and shooting the breeze with the club attendant, and another cop on the Acela who raced through the car and was opening the door to the next one by the time I realized he was even there. THAT's how it should be.

I usually get the opposite reply: "Tell me about riding the train." Maybe that's about Maine people who are enthusiastic about our upgrades in transportation in recent years. The people who have asked me want to travel and are tired of cars and planes for long distance trips.

"Oh- you mean you can take a train to Florida overnight?" "Oh- you can be comfortable enough in coach to get there for XXX dollars?"

"Oh- if you share a roomette, how much is it and you get your MEALS included?" "You and your sister went from Boston to Los Angeles ON THE

TRAIN????"

Maybe Amtrak needs to do more advertising in Maine???? Or elsewhere?

Frankly, I think most of the negative comments are essentially a form of envy that we can enjoy our travel time. Sure, we've all had some not great experiences on trains, be it meals, or hassles, but the same can be said of driving, or flying, or even walking.

Chill and enjoy!

I love the train and I am tired of explaining why I would rather be on one for 28 hours to Newark than 3 hours on a plane.I have only met a few snotty people on the train. The attendants are awesome on most trips. People are nicer on the train. So there I said it "I Like train travel"!!! lol

Best way to deal with unruly passengers: Kick them off the train with no refund!

Unfortunately, I'm running into more and more unfriendly passengers on the train. I do wish the passengers would just keep o themselves and not talk with each other instead of getting others mad.

Most folks I've ridden with on trains over the past 50 years were there because they WANTED to be. Whereas those I rode with on planes were there because they HAD to be. Kind of reflected in their attitudes while on board each........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back