Baggage and no-checked baggage stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Lead Service Attendant
Luckily, we have always embarked and disembarked at checked baggage stations. 2011 we are planning a trip that will involve 2 no-checked baggage stations: LWA and WGL.

We will be taking the CS from LAX to EUG; the Amtrak Cascades from EUG to SEA, and then the EB from SEA to LWA (Leavenworth, WA.); the EB from LWA to WGL (West Glacier); the EB from WGL to GPK (East Glacier) and then the EB from GPK to PDX.

No checked baggage stations:

Can you only check bags between 2 checked baggage stations? I would think there is no way to check bags (at a checked bag station) if you are disembarking at a no checked baggage station … although I am hoping I am wrong!! If so, a few questions ….

SEA:

If we check our bags in EUG, can we leave them checked at SEA while we wander around SEA waiting for the same day EB?

Will we need to collect our bags in SEA and then put them onto the EB (as the LWA has no checked baggage)? Is there anyone to help with lifting the baggage onto and off of the train? Would a Red Cap put the baggage onto the train in SEA, or do they leave the baggage at the door of the car? Does the coach attendant help getting the bags on/off of the train?

LWA:

Amtrak says that LWA has no checked baggage, but does have help with baggage … just wondering what that means, as they say the station is a platform. Does this mean someone will help lift the bags off of/ and onto the train? Will the coach attendant help lift the bags off of the train? Will the sleeper car attendant help lift the bag onto the train?

WGL:

Would there be someone to help lift on/off of the train? Again, sleeper attendant/coach attendant?

GPK:

We will be taking the EB to GPK, and catching the westbound EB to PDX the same day: would we be able to check our luggage at GPK upon arriving, or would we need to wait until a certain time before the scheduled westbound arrival?

EB:

How is coach seating handled: do they assign us a car number, and seat … or just a car number? There will be 3 of us, and we would like to sit together, so just wondering. We had a horrible experience on the Pacific Surfliner (BC)2 years ago, so we just want to be prepared.

Is there an attendant outside of the coach car, upon boarding and disembarking?

How crowded might the EB be upon boarding in WGL? Again, a verrrry short ride … so just looking for information.

Where do they put your baggage, when riding coach … I have seen where they put it in the sleeper compartments, but never noticed in coach (again, as have always used checked baggage).

Any information about stations: LWA and WGL would be greatly appreciated. This will be our 5th ride on the EB, but the 1st time in a coach segment … so any thoughts/ information on coach would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you …

You can only check baggage between two stations that handle baggage.

For example, the Cardinal is a baggage train with a baggage car, but if you

travel from New York Penn to Indianapolis, you cannot check your baggage

because Indianpolis is not a baggage station.

Luckily, we have always embarked and disembarked at checked baggage stations. 2011 we are planning a trip that will involve 2 no-checked baggage stations: LWA and WGL.

We will be taking the CS from LAX to EUG; the Amtrak Cascades from EUG to SEA, and then the EB from SEA to LWA (Leavenworth, WA.); the EB from LWA to WGL (West Glacier); the EB from WGL to GPK (East Glacier) and then the EB from GPK to PDX.

No checked baggage stations:

Can you only check bags between 2 checked baggage stations? I would think there is no way to check bags (at a checked bag station) if you are disembarking at a no checked baggage station … although I am hoping I am wrong!! If so, a few questions ….

SEA:

If we check our bags in EUG, can we leave them checked at SEA while we wander around SEA waiting for the same day EB?

Will we need to collect our bags in SEA and then put them onto the EB (as the LWA has no checked baggage)? Is there anyone to help with lifting the baggage onto and off of the train? Would a Red Cap put the baggage onto the train in SEA, or do they leave the baggage at the door of the car? Does the coach attendant help getting the bags on/off of the train?

LWA:

Amtrak says that LWA has no checked baggage, but does have help with baggage … just wondering what that means, as they say the station is a platform. Does this mean someone will help lift the bags off of/ and onto the train? Will the coach attendant help lift the bags off of the train? Will the sleeper car attendant help lift the bag onto the train?

WGL:

Would there be someone to help lift on/off of the train? Again, sleeper attendant/coach attendant?

GPK:

We will be taking the EB to GPK, and catching the westbound EB to PDX the same day: would we be able to check our luggage at GPK upon arriving, or would we need to wait until a certain time before the scheduled westbound arrival?

EB:

How is coach seating handled: do they assign us a car number, and seat … or just a car number? There will be 3 of us, and we would like to sit together, so just wondering. We had a horrible experience on the Pacific Surfliner (BC)2 years ago, so we just want to be prepared.

Is there an attendant outside of the coach car, upon boarding and disembarking?

How crowded might the EB be upon boarding in WGL? Again, a verrrry short ride … so just looking for information.

Where do they put your baggage, when riding coach … I have seen where they put it in the sleeper compartments, but never noticed in coach (again, as have always used checked baggage).

Any information about stations: LWA and WGL would be greatly appreciated. This will be our 5th ride on the EB, but the 1st time in a coach segment … so any thoughts/ information on coach would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you …
If you want to store your bags at SEA, for example, you should be able to have them hold them for you at the baggage counter for a small fee.

At any station that lists having Redcaps, you can receive help with your bags. Your Sleeper Car Attendant or Coach Attendant should help too. Also, even the smaller stations may have baggage carts. You may want to try Googling images of the stations to look for the luggage carts. If there is only a platform, I assume they will not have carts available. Have a great trip!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, you cannot check baggage on the Cardinal between NYP and IND because NYP is not a checked-baggage station for the Cardinal. (IND is now a checked-baggage station again.) As to specifically why NYP does not handle checked baggage for the Cardinal, I am not sure as the Palmetto departs before the Cardinal (6:15am Palmetto, 6:45am Cardinal) and arrives after the Cardinal (9:45pm Cardinal, 11:47pm Palmetto). At any rate though, NYP is the no-checked-baggage station for the Cardinal, not IND.

SEA. Could you just not pick up your bags when you arrive in Seattle, and let them stay uncollected at baggage claim until it's time for you to leave on the Empire Builder? That would save the fee for left luggage.

LWA, WGL. I wouldn't expect any help with baggage at either station if you're in coach. You might get it, but it's nothing I'd rely on. If you need help with your luggage, I'd discuss it with the attendant in advance, and perhaps tip in advance as well. If you're in a sleeping car your sleeping car attendant will help you.

GPK. Wait until they've taken care of arriving luggage for the eastbound train. When that's taken care of, immediately check your luggage for the trip west. They'll have some place to store it.

Checked luggage travels either in the baggage car at the front of the train (if you're going to Seattle) or in a special lower-level luggage compartment in one of the Superliner coaches (if you're going to Portland). Be sure to check out the baggage cars. They are real veterans!

EDIT: For clarity.

You should be able to claim then leave your bags in Seattle until the EB arrives at the station. There is usually only one redcap in Seattle and sleeping car passengers, elderly and disabled will get priority for redcap assistance. If you need assistance be sure to arrive early and tell the station and/or ticket agent. The EB boards all coach passengers at the same time by car number depending upon your destination. There is one attendant and the assistant conductor to help everyone onboard. Please ensure that you bags do not exceed 50 lbs. If they do exceed 50 lbs. then you're on your own getting them on and off the train.

Both LWA and WGL are quick on/off stops. If you need help with your bags be sure to ask ahead of time. At GPK you must arrive 30 minutes or more before the train arrives in order to check any bags. Any later than that and you won't be able to check any bags.

Enjoy your trip.

Just to clarify at GPK do not wait until arriving baggage is handled to then try to check your bags. It'll be too late. All checked baggage must be checked before the train arrives. The baggage cart then proceeds up to the bag car and unloads arriving baggage and loads departing baggage. They do not make a second trip. If it's not checked before the train arrives then you must carry it on.

Ispolkom beat me to the answer!
angry.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, you can check you bags part way from one checked baggage station to a connecting station that has checked baggage service (such as EUG to SEA) and pick them up before the departure of the EB (to avoid the storage charge)! I did just this in one of my trips. I checked my bags from PDX to WAS, picked them up in WAS and hand carried them to KIN (which does not offer checked baggage service.)!

But a very important note about this: A guaranteed connection does NOT include time to retrieve your baggage!
ohmy.gif
So got example if you check your bag from your origination station to your connecting station (because your destination station does not offer you checked baggage service) and your first train is late and there is barely enough time to make the connecting train, you have 2 choices:

1. Get on the connecting train without retrieving your luggage, or
  2. Retrieve your luggage and miss the connecting train, but if you need to stay overnight (for example), it's on your own dime - Amtrak is not responsible. You could have made the guaranteed connection but you chose not to!

Just to clarify at GPK do not wait until arriving baggage is handled to then try to check your bags. It'll be too late. All checked baggage must be checked before the train arrives. The baggage cart then proceeds up to the bag car and unloads arriving baggage and loads departing baggage. They do not make a second trip. If it's not checked before the train arrives then you must carry it on.
I think the answer refers to "after the arriving baggage from the eastbound EB is handled". The OP is arriving on the eastbound EB and turning on the same day's westbound EB!

Again, thank you all. I think we might just have to eliminate LWA ... baggage situation just too uncertain. Our bags are always under 50lbs, but I know there is no way we would be able to lift our suitcases up and down the train steps, and I worry that there would be no place to put them once we were on the train. The rest of our trip is in sleepers ... so no worry there.

I guess there is a reason we always travel between checked baggage stations. This year we will be doing BOS-CHI-EUG and EUG-PDX-SFC ... all checked baggage stations.

Just remember that the limit for carry on bags is 2 carry ons plus 1 personal item, like a purse, brief case, etc. There is ample luggage storage at the bottom of the coach cars just as you enter the door. You shouldn't have to drag your heavy stuff up the stairs. You'll probably need to be able to get your bags up to the train in LWA and WGL, but the coach attendant or conductor should at least lift it on to the train for you. From there, they can probably help you store it on the lower level. If there isn't a spot, they'll find one, I'm sure.

Has anyone ever had an experience where there was no space for their luggage when boarding a LD train? Boarding in SEA-LWA and WGL-GPK would be the only 2 segments where we do not have sleepers. I know we could push the bags up the step to the 1st level ... just not the fastest people in the world, and as the stops are so short....I don't want the employees yelling at us to hurry up ... not the way to start a trip!

I have seen luggage racks "full", but if you move or rearrange some pieces, you can almost find room!
wink.gif
Sometimes when I board, I may have put my bags on (say) the second shelf, but later I find it on the first shelf or with another piece of luggage placed on top of it. So far, I have never found "no room at the inn"!
biggrin.gif

Has anyone ever had an experience where there was no space for their luggage when boarding a LD train? Boarding in SEA-LWA and WGL-GPK would be the only 2 segments where we do not have sleepers. I know we could push the bags up the step to the 1st level ... just not the fastest people in the world, and as the stops are so short....I don't want the employees yelling at us to hurry up ... not the way to start a trip!
There has been a few times that the luggage racks are full on my trips. When this occurs the car attendant (and on one occasion the conductor) would reorganize the luggage on the racks to make room. Another possible location to store you bags if the racks are full is to go "inside" to the lower level seating section and use the luggage rack area there. Granted the particular car you enter must have this section in order to achieve this. You might want to get a lower level seat to assure this situation and have one less thing to be concerned with.

Thank you, great info ... maybe we won't need to miss Leavenworth after all!!

Actually, you cannot check baggage on the Cardinal between NYP and IND because NYP is not a checked-baggage station for the Cardinal. (IND is now a checked-baggage station again.) As to specifically why NYP does not handle checked baggage for the Cardinal, I am not sure as the Palmetto departs before the Cardinal (6:15am Palmetto, 6:45am Cardinal) and arrives after the Cardinal (9:45pm Cardinal, 11:47pm Palmetto). At any rate though, NYP is the no-checked-baggage station for the Cardinal, not IND.
Of course, this is slightly OT.

The Cardinal can't do baggage at NYP because the crews are not able to cover 51, 79 and 89.

Eric,

I traveled to/from Indianapolis on June 20/24. There was a sign at the station (IND) saying Indianapolis does not have

baggage service. When I arrived at New York Penn for my departure (Sunday) I went directly to a Red Cap knowing the

Acela Lounge would not be open prior to my departure. I didn't try to check my luggage at NYP.

When I boarded the Cardinal in NYP, the car attendant asked if I wanted to put my luggage in the baggage car.

It was next to the sleeper and the door was open. I had packed to have my suitcase in my room so I didn't

pursue the matter further.

Eric,

I traveled to/from Indianapolis on June 20/24. There was a sign at the station (IND) saying Indianapolis does not have

baggage service. When I arrived at New York Penn for my departure (Sunday) I went directly to a Red Cap knowing the

Acela Lounge would not be open prior to my departure. I didn't try to check my luggage at NYP.

When I boarded the Cardinal in NYP, the car attendant asked if I wanted to put my luggage in the baggage car.

It was next to the sleeper and the door was open. I had packed to have my suitcase in my room so I didn't

pursue the matter further.
Hmm. Thanks for the update/correction. I wonder if Amtrak intends to offer checked baggage at IND soon, but just hasn't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps there are other Cardinal stations that the timetable shows as offering checked baggage but not offering it yet.

Indianapolis didn't have checked baggage at the time the Cardinal got the baggage car back, but if it doesn't have it now, then it will very soon.

Why not NYP Alan? Surely the busiest station in the US can handle a three times a week train?? :eek:

Why not NYP Alan? Surely the busiest station in the US can handle a three times a week train?? :eek:
I'll pretend my name is Alan.

Apparently doing so would require a) hiring an additional crew, or b) rearranging staff resources (probably not actual equipment) in a way that they're unwilling to do.

The "make believe" Alan is correct. Due to the early departure of the Cardinal from NYP, the baggage room is not yet open.
But it's not the early departure of the Cardinal (the Palmetto departs 30 minutes earlier), but, evidently, that they cannot service 3 trains in a 50-minute period (Palmetto at 6:15am, Cardinal at 6:45am, and Carolinian at 7:05am).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back