bedroom on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
since I wrote that, i have been informed that i am now in #6. Hopefully that'll be Ok.

since I wrote that, i have been informed that i am now in #6. Hopefully that'll be Ok.
Youll be Fine in #6! Just head to the Sightseer Lounge and Enjoy the Views and the Ride! Left Side through the Sierras and Both Sides through the Rockies with the Right Side Best from Grand Junction to Glennwood Springs and From there the Left Side to Denver has the Best Views!

As for which side to watch out the windows on the CZ (from the lounge car), I would suggest left side from Denver to Dotsero, then switch to right side through Glenwood Canyon to Debeque. Then back to left side for the remainder of the daylight ride.
If I recall, westbound from Denver to the Moffit Tunnel, the best view is to the right. It's mainly rock wall to the left. I'd agree with the rest.

Eastbound, the view of the front range when it comes into view on the left is spectacular.
Agree. Right side from Denver to Moffit Tunnel.

There are no #2 roomettes left for my CZ trip, so they booked me in #5. Should I ask to get changed to an even number roomette for better scenery?
You won't know what side you're on until you get on the train. The car can be facing either direction. On my 3 LD trains, I was either in 5 or 6, and both were fine as far as I was concerned.

Personally I think you should just take the trip and stop worrying about every little detail like this.
Agreed, I've been saying that all along. Some people develop preferences, which is fine, but we (AU) make too big a deal about them sometimes and scare folks like this off.
There were times I wished I was on the other side or the other level or the other car, but there has never once been a case when I would have known this would be the case before I boarded, no matter how much time and research I had put into it. That particular train or that particular car or that particular level or that particular room just happened to have an issue that was impossible for me to anticipate.

I'm not concerned about the view, I can go the observation car for that. I'm quite happy with what I have booked. Being a very light sleeper, I don't really expect to sleep much no matter which roomette/bedroom I'm in but that's OK - it's a million times better than the thought of getting in a plane :)

And speaking of scenery, am I missing much impressive scenery by getting off at SLC as opposed to continuing to San Francisco?

I'm not concerned about the view, I can go the observation car for that. I'm quite happy with what I have booked. Being a very light sleeper, I don't really expect to sleep much no matter which roomette/bedroom I'm in but that's OK - it's a million times better than the thought of getting in a plane :)
You'll probably be Surprised when you Slleep like a Baby as the Train Rocks and Rolls you to Sleep with the Sound of the Train Horn and Clickty Clack of the Rails sings you to Dreamland! ^_^

And speaking of scenery, am I missing much impressive scenery by getting off at SLC as opposed to continuing to San Francisco?
You'll miss the Seeing the Sierra Nevada Mountains between Reno and Sacramento including the infamous Donner Pass and Donner Lake with the Mountain Villages that are Very pretty any Time of the Year! Utah and nevada are basically desert with mountains in the distance, they do have Snow in the Winter! Of Course Salt Lake City is a Major City and Has Lots to See Including the Tabernacle Square, the Great Salt Lake (outside of Town) but it Doesn't Compare to the Sierra Nevadas! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back