bedroom on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The meals in the dining car are very nice, after spending a few private hours gazing out the windows of my sleeper! I like my private time but enjoy mixing it with conversation with other travelers during meals. I really enjoy breakfast!!!! My day starts with a very early shower, a cup of Java and sitting in the Sight Seer Lounge, watching the sun rise & being one of the early breakfast diners!!!! Man, I'm talking myself into another train ride!!! :eek: Whoooo Whooooo :p

Have Fun

RF
Why on Earth would you want to ride on a Train? :eek: No-one Rides Trains Anymore! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning: potentially contrary opinion ahead.

Personally, I wouldn't stress over what room or car you're in. There just isn't enough variation to make it worth the effort to me, especially for a first time traveler having to make the phone call from the other side of the pond.

If you've traveled extensively and come up with a set of factors that's important enough for you to call, good on you and there's nothing wrong with that. But that's something that's fiercely personal and a preference that can only be gained by experience.

RyanS,

Thanks for your reply, but I have been lucky enough to find a company here in the UK with which I can book my Amtrak trip. All the staff have travelled extensively on Amtrak themselves & it's a freephone number. It was indeed worrying that I'd be running up a huge bill calling the US, but now I don't have to :)

Before I get to the California Zephyr, I need to travel from NY to CHI. I want to go on the Lake Shore Limited, but on the Amtrak website, it costs $391 for a roomette one way, while on the amsnag site, it's $290. Can anyone explain why there's such a difference?

Also how can I book the cheaper price?
Carol: You may want to look into taking the Capitol Ltd. from Washington to CHI-there are Days in August when a roomette is as Low as $129!! You would either ride a Regional Train from NYP-WAS or take the Pennsylvanian #43 from NYP to Pittsburgh(you'd have a Few Hours Layover in PGH) and Transfer Trains! The Cap Ltd has Superliner Equipment, the Lake Shore has Single Level Viewliner and Amfleet Cars! Also the $391 Fare for a Roomette on the lake Shore Might be the Total Fare including Rail Fare and Roomette and the $290 Fare just the Roomette on the Lake Shore?

Same amount of Meals in the Diner, 2 (Dinner and Breakfast )if you go out of Washington on the Cap, Only Breakfast if you catch the Cap in Pittsburgh! (The Penn doesnt have a Diner but has a Cafe car!)

If you really want the Lake Shore Call Amtrak (or see if you can Book a Roomette on a Day with Low Fares on Line @Amtrak.com). As has been said youll always get the Low Bucket Rail Fare when you Book a Sleeping car Room!

I think the $290 may be for just the roomette, and then you pay the lowest coach fare in addition. Sounds like the $391 is possibly $101 for the rail fare, and then 290 for the upgrade to the roomette.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know they added the 2 together to get the fare you pay. The only reason I prefer the Lake Shore Limited is that you don't have to change trains. Which route is the most scenic? I might do one on the outward journey & the other on the way back.

If you do each one way, my opinion is the Lake Shore Limited (LSL) westbound and the Capitol Limited (Cap) eastbound. The LSL follows the shore of the Hudson River from New York City to almost Albany - sometimes within feet! It's very scenic. The Cap has very scenic views in the morning from Pittsburgh to Washington. On both trains, these same areas could be in darkness the opposite direction.

If you do each one way, my opinion is the Lake Shore Limited (LSL) westbound and the Capitol Limited (Cap) eastbound. The LSL follows the shore of the Hudson River from New York City to almost Albany - sometimes within feet! It's very scenic. The Cap has very scenic views in the morning from Pittsburgh to Washington. On both trains, these same areas could be in darkness the opposite direction.
I concur with Dave. Having ridden both these routes in both directions I can tell you that the morning scenery along the rivers to DC is very beautiful, as is an evening sunset over the Hudson.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know they added the 2 together to get the fare you pay. The only reason I prefer the Lake Shore Limited is that you don't have to change trains. Which route is the most scenic? I might do one on the outward journey & the other on the way back.
Understand wanting a Single Seat Train Ride! Best Scenery on the Lake shore Ltd. from NYP is going West Bound to CHI, you get to see

the Hudson River between NYP and Albany (Left Side of Train/same Scenery as in "North by Northwest "on the 20th Century Limited!)) and in the Morning as the Sun Comes uP youll have Breakfast in the Diner and then Roll along the Shores of Lake Michigan through IIndianas and Chicagos Industrial Areas with the Skyline of Chicago Visible across the Lake! (Right Side of train)

For the Capitol Ltd., East bound from Chicago to WAS is the Way to Roll, youll Wake up going through the Hills and Valleys ofPennsylvania,(after the Early Stop in Pittsburgh) Maryland,West Virginia and down the Potomac River into Washington. Youll have dinner leaving Chicago, Breakfast in Pennsylvania or West Virginia and ,If you want ,Brunch in Maryland or West Virginia. (The Train winds around Alot back and Forth between these States!) Be sure and Look for martiunsburg and harpers Ferry,WV., Very historic and Beautiful! When you Arrive in Washington you can use the Club Acela to wait for your Train to New York since you arrived in a Sleeping Car!

Edit:

Looks like AUers Agree on This and were Posting @ the same Time! ^_^

I concur with Dave. Having ridden both these routes in both directions I can tell you that the morning scenery along the rivers to DC is very beautiful, as is an evening sunset over the Hudson.
Yet another vote for doing it that way - that's how I just did it, and it worked out nicely.

On the Zephyr, the sleepers are in the rear of the train. But the diner is just ahead of the sleepers so you wont have to walk through any of the coaches to get to the diner. If you are in the first sleeper (530) the diner is the next car.

On the Zephyr, the sleepers are in the rear of the train. But the diner is just ahead of the sleepers so you wont have to walk through any of the coaches to get to the diner. If you are in the first sleeper (530) the diner is the next car.
No #30 sleeper on the CZ. The 31 sleeper is adjacent to the diner and the 32 sleeper is behind it (last car on the train).

So for the Lakeshore Limited is the left side of the train best? Though someone else says if you're on the right, you see the Chicago skyline as you approach the city, so I'm not sure which side to go for. Also for the CZ from CHI to SLC, which side is best & also for the Southwest Chief LA to CHI?

You understand that you never really know which side of the train your room will be located on as the cars can have either end be to the front. So, it is very difficult to try and book a room for a particular side of the train. Just so you know.

The LSL is usually somewhat predictable, since the Viewliner needs to run bedroom first so that the vestibule is next to the diner. This usually puts even-numbered roomettes on the Hudson side leaving New York.

The LSL is usually somewhat predictable, since the Viewliner needs to run bedroom first so that the vestibule is next to the diner. This usually puts even-numbered roomettes on the Hudson side leaving New York.
Interesting - I've only ridden the LSL twice, one time with bedrooms at the rear of the car and once with them at the forward end, putting the bedroom widow view on opposite sides.

I'm booked in room 2 on the Lakeshore Limited. Booked thru Amtrak's UK agent & as someone said above, he said he can't guarantee whether that will be the left or right side of the train.. However, if it is the 'wrong' side, I presume I can still view the scenery from some other part of the train?

No #30 sleeper on the CZ. The 31 sleeper is adjacent to the diner and the 32 sleeper is behind it (last car on the train)
You're right, I just looked at my ticket. Sorry :unsure:

Yes.

You will be eating dinner during that segment. (They request that the passengers on the New York section to have dinner prior to Albany. The train combines with the Boston section in Albany, and they have dinner after departure from Albany - as there is no Dining Car between Boston and Albany.) The Dining Car has large windows and an un obstructive view.

Another possibility is from room 1 if it is not occupied. And even if it is, if you ask the occupants to leave the door and curtain open, they probably will. (Room 1 is across the hall from room 2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back