bedroom on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The LSL is usually somewhat predictable, since the Viewliner needs to run bedroom first so that the vestibule is next to the diner. This usually puts even-numbered roomettes on the Hudson side leaving New York.
Interesting - I've only ridden the LSL twice, one time with bedrooms at the rear of the car and once with them at the forward end, putting the bedroom widow view on opposite sides.
Were you on the Boston or NYP Section Tom? It Makes a Difference since the NYP Section has the Sleepers next to the Diner on the Rear with the Vestibule Facing Forward which Means the Bedrooms Will Always Be in the Front on the NYP Section of the LSL!

I wouldn't have chosen room 1 or 2 myself as I didn't know what the 'blank' space behind them is, but I was told it's just the end of the car & would be quieter than a roomette with other roomettes on both sides. On a separate note, when I get to CHI, I will need a cab to my hotel. Will these be available at the station, or do I need to make arrangements with a company in advance. As a single female traveller, I'm worried about getting into the 'wrong' cab.

On a Viewliner (the Lake Shore Limited sleeping car), rooms #1 & 2 are about 1/3 of the way in the car. The "blank" space next to room 1 is a linen closet, and next to room 2 is the turn of the hallway. (The bedrooms are about 2/3 of the width of the car with the hallway on one side, while the roomettes are about 1/3 of the width of the car with the hallway down the centre. Thus, the hallway must have a turn.) I have never encountered any noise due to this turn. There is no sleeping room at the end of the car.

On a Superliner (the Southwest Chief sleeping car), rooms #1 & 2 are in the center of the car. Room 1 is the sleeping car attendant's room. At the end of the car are rooms #9 & 10.

In Chicago, go up the escalator in front of the ticket counters. Once you exit the doors, there will be a line of cabs waiting!

Thanks The_Traveler,

So which rooms would you recommend on both the SW Chief & the CZ? Also on all these trains, is a specific car preferable to the others? I'm in car 4911 on the Lakeshore, is that good or bad?

Would the room beside the sleeping car attendant's room be quiet - presumably he's in there alone so there'd be no talking :)

Many people like room #2 on a Superliner (SWC & CZ) since that room is in the center of the car. As far as the room next to the attendant's room (the next room is #3), don't forget that the room on the opposite wall (#5) may be occupied by another passenger.

On the LSL, car #4911 is the first sleeping car next to the Dining Car!

I wouldn't have chosen room 1 or 2 myself as I didn't know what the 'blank' space behind them is, but I was told it's just the end of the car & would be quieter than a roomette with other roomettes on both sides. On a separate note, when I get to CHI, I will need a cab to my hotel. Will these be available at the station, or do I need to make arrangements with a company in advance. As a single female traveller, I'm worried about getting into the 'wrong' cab.
Usually that's true... you do hear less from your neighbors and the ride is smoother.

My only complaints with roomette #2 is that you hear the door from the only bathroom on the upper level opening and slamming shut all day and night. Also you can hear people walking down the stairs and knocking on the attendants door for help.

That being said... I've been booked into roomette #2 before and had a perfectly good nights sleep. A night in ANY room in a sleeper is better than being at home!

Usually that's true... you do hear less from your neighbors and the ride is smoother.

My only complaints with roomette #2 is that you hear the door from the only bathroom on the upper level opening and slamming shut all day and night. Also you can hear people walking down the stairs and knocking on the attendants door for help.

That being said... I've been booked into roomette #2 before and had a perfectly good nights sleep. A night in ANY room in a sleeper is better than being at home!
Wrong type of car Rick, she's in #2 on a Viewliner. There is no coffee stand or bathroom near that. You're thinking of a Superliner car.

Wrong type of car Rick, she's in #2 on a Viewliner. There is no coffee stand or bathroom near that. You're thinking of a Superliner car.
My apologies. I was confused by the thread title.Disregard what I said... Except for the part about a night in a sleeper being better than being at home... That's still true!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roomette 2 in the Superliners is not only in the middle of the car, it has another room adjoining only one end wall. The other end wall is over the stairwell that leads downstairs. I personally prefer roomette 2, but any of the rooms 2 thru 6 tend to be rather quiet.

As for which side to watch out the windows on the CZ (from the lounge car), I would suggest left side from Denver to Dotsero, then switch to right side through Glenwood Canyon to Debeque. Then back to left side for the remainder of the daylight ride. Only in summer will there still be some daylight west of Helper, Utah, when a lounge seat on the right side becomes very desirable again.

Thanks again everyone, not sure about room 2 on the superliner now, maybe i should go for somewhere between 3-6 instead. As regards daylight, I will be doing the outward journey on the CZ on 30 Aug & the return possible on the SWC around 20 Sep. I know a few weeks earlier would have been ideal but it just didn't suit.

Actually just off the route. It happened just east of the switch that Amtrak uses to go to NYP. (If it happened about 500 meters north, it would be on the route! :eek: ) With all the first responders in the area, it indirectly affected Amtrak.

As for which side to watch out the windows on the CZ (from the lounge car), I would suggest left side from Denver to Dotsero, then switch to right side through Glenwood Canyon to Debeque. Then back to left side for the remainder of the daylight ride.
If I recall, westbound from Denver to the Moffit Tunnel, the best view is to the right. It's mainly rock wall to the left. I'd agree with the rest.

Eastbound, the view of the front range when it comes into view on the left is spectacular.

SWC doesn't really matter what side, it's a big desert.
I think you have your routes mixed up. It's the SL that's mostly dry ugly desert. The SWC is green and lush by comparison.

You understand that you never really know which side of the train your room will be located on as the cars can have either end be to the front. So, it is very difficult to try and book a room for a particular side of the train. Just so you know.
Allowing customers to pick a given side would seem to be a great up-sell option if and when Amtrak is willing to turn a car or two to make things match up.

Another possibility is from room 1 if it is not occupied. And even if it is, if you ask the occupants to leave the door and curtain open, they probably will.
I would not feel comfortable asking people in other rooms to leave their door and curtains open as that would not be a socially acceptable request.

I wouldn't overthink it, the differences aren't great enough to worry about.
I couldn't agree more.

Picking a route and a season has far more bearing on what you'll see than which room or which side of the train you want. If you're new to a route then do what I do and head for the observation car during the interesting segments. That way you can see both sides at the same time. Most of my experience has been with Western Superliner fleet, but I believe the the Eastern Amfleet trains have observation cars as well.

I just rode and slept in Superliner Roomette 2 on several trains this past Summer. I rode the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, and later the California Zephyr. For me the Roomette 2 was perfect. I heard no sound of people going up and down the stairs to and from the lower level. There was no problem of noise related to the door to the upstairs bathroom and every SCA was very quiet when in the room or actually never in the room much while performing all their duties. On top of this, the attendant was always around when I needed him or her. With the room being in the middle of the car, the ride was always quiet and smooth.

But in all honesty, my bed at home is much more comfortable than sleeping on the train.

Thanks again everyone, think I'll opt for roomette 2. Would much prefer a bedroom but the price difference doesn't justify it.

Thanks Ryan, Looks like No 4 is the top choice. Anyone have a preference for which bedroom to choose? I might go for that instead though the difference in price is huge.

On a Superliner (Two Level) Sleeper most Experienced Passengers like Bedroom E or C. E is Next to the Stairs, Coffee, Ice and Juice Station and Closest to the SCA in Roomette #1.(Bedroom A is the Smallest One due to the Turn in the Hall by the EXit/Entrance Door to the Next Car .Also it is the only One without a Connection to the Next Bedroom!)Bedrooms B and C and D and E can be made into a Suite for People Traveling Together by Opening the Connecting Door between them but of Course would be Very Pricey!! If the Car is Hooked up with the Bedrooms on the Front the Couch in E and C (Bottom Bed when Made into the Night Configuration) will Face Forwards, B and D will have the Couch Facing Backwards!(Of course you can;t Know for sure which way the Car will be Hooked Up until you Board!)

If you are on a Viewliner Sleeper (Single Level) there are only 3 Bedrooms, A and Band and H , B is Best since the Couch Faces Forward. There is also the H Bedroom which you can Book if you have a Handicap for the same Price as a Roomette, First Come ,First Served) They usually are Very Pricey also compared to Viewliner Roomettes which have More Room than A Superliner plus a Toliet and Sink and a Window up Top for the Top Bed!

I recommend that you go with a Roomette on a Viewliner and if you can get a Bedroom for Not too High a Price on a Superliner Train try to get Bedroom E!!! In my Opinion Bedrooms that Cost $800-$1200 are NOT Worth It, A Roomette is Fine for 1/3 to 1/2 the Price!!!!!! YMMV

There are no #2 roomettes left for my CZ trip, so they booked me in #5. Should I ask to get changed to an even number roomette for better scenery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back