Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The saying here is, if you can carry it on, you can carry it on. I don't see a problem with both "extra" bags. Just be aware of how small the roomette is and if you'll have room for it all. You could store the "luggage" bag on the rack when you don't need it to give you room.

I had a large roller bag, an overnight bag & a small duffel bag. My daughter had a roller bag and an overnight bag. We stored the roller bags downstairs, using the duffel bag to put our change of clothes in. It fit under the seat and the overnight bags fit on the step to the upper bunk.

We actually have a bedroom, not a roommette, so hopefully that will give us some extra room. I figured most of the stuff can sit on the empty chair at night and during the day, being her and I will be sitting next to each other I suspect the entire trip....and if someone wants to sit in the chair, we can move it next to whoever is on the "couch" during the day.

Good point forgot about the upper bunk. DOH.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I counted that we'll take on the train it'll be.

2x carry on sized suitcases for an airplane

2x backpacks (one camera, one for some snacks we want

1x small cooler

1x laptop

That would be manageable in a bedroom correct?

From what I counted that we'll take on the train it'll be.

2x carry on sized suitcases for an airplane

2x backpacks (one camera, one for some snacks we want

1x small cooler

1x laptop

That would be manageable in a bedroom correct?
Not a Problem! Just Carry it On and Up the Stairs, since you have a Bedroom it's All Good! ;)

I believe there is also a small closet/storage in the bedroom near the door, you could maybe put the back-packs in there to store when not needed. Plus correct me someone if I am wrong, but is there not room under the coach for stuff also in the bedroom?

Yeah I think someone mentioned that before or I saw it online in a video or picture. I'll check that out and I did forget the closet thing, wonder if it'll be big enough.

It's certainly not big enough, maybe only 6 or 8 inches wide.

Under the couch may work too, but then you really can't get to them when the beds go down (and they're probably in your car attendant's way).

It's certainly not big enough, maybe only 6 or 8 inches wide.

Under the couch may work too, but then you really can't get to them when the beds go down (and they're probably in your car attendant's way).
The closet would be wide enough to put the back packs in and then put one suitcase in the chair and one under the couch. I think if you put the suitcase lengthwise under the couch, it won't be in the attendant's way and then before the bed is made up, grab the bag out if you need it during the time the bed is down. Not sure why it would be in the attendant's way if it is under the seat?

Have you ever put a bed down? Stayed in a bedroom?

It would be in the way because the mechanism to lower the seat into a bed is under the seat. It might be fine if they were back far enough, but then they're completely buried and impossible to get to. Storage on the upper bunk is much easier and won't be in anyone's way.

Unless your backpack is empty, there's no way it'll fit in the closet. I've tried. It's just wide enough to hang a jacket or two.

Have you ever put a bed down? Stayed in a bedroom?

It would be in the way because the mechanism to lower the seat into a bed is under the seat. It might be fine if they were back far enough, but then they're completely buried and impossible to get to. Storage on the upper bunk is much easier and won't be in anyone's way.

Unless your backpack is empty, there's no way it'll fit in the closet. I've tried. It's just wide enough to hang a jacket or two.
I have stayed in a bedroom and almost always put my own bed down. I have had no problem with keeping my airplane carry on size suitcase underneath the couch in the bedroom.

I put one underneath the couch, close to the windows, and then the other underneath the seat.

Sometimes you have to pull it out to put the bed down but then you can slide it back in afterwards. There is plenty of floor space in the room to pull it out while putting the bed down.

I agree that the closet is not wide enough for a backpack. I did put a six pack of hard cider in there, though. the closet is pretty deep so if you have something that can be put in deep and narrow - like maybe a laptop bag turned sideways - it might fit in there.

Sometimes you have to pull it out to put the bed down but then you can slide it back in afterwards.
Well yeah, that's what I was getting at. I try to make it as easy as possible for the car attendant when they come in to do their thing. Most of my travel is in Viewliners, so everything goes on top of the bathroom or over the hallway before we ask the attendant to come in and swap the beds.

What happens when they make the beds? I mean, not the process, but do you stand in the hall while they do it? Or in a corner? Also, what times do they usually come by to put the room back together?

What happens when they make the beds? I mean, not the process, but do you stand in the hall while they do it? Or in a corner? Also, what times do they usually come by to put the room back together?
The time depends. If you have a late dinner, they might make up the beds while you're at dinner. Sometimes they put the beds back into "daytime" while you're at breakfast.

Our beds were always made up/put down while we were in the room. We'd just stand in a hall for a minute. One time, the roomette across from us was empty, so she just had us sit in there until it was finished. Another time, the SCA knew we wanted to see a bedroom, so he gave us a heads-up and we were able to check out an empty bedroom for a few seconds while he made ours up.

It takes no more than a minute, sometimes faster if you have a really good SCA.

Should I make sure to wake up at a certain time to get dressed? Or will they just come in when they see you're up?

Should I make sure to wake up at a certain time to get dressed? Or will they just come in when they see you're up?
The room door locks, so they won't barge in on you. :) They'll also see that the curtain is shut, as Ryan said.

The train gets really active around 7:00 AM, so most people are up by 8:00 (the PA is going, SCAs/conductors are walking through, people are going to/from breakfast, etc). I've slept until 9:30 before, though, and the only reason I woke up was because the LSA was knocking on doors and asking for lunch reservations. (I heard her knocking on other doors, not ours.) We were able to keep our room in the nighttime configuration, though, since B was still sleeping. I whispered our lunch reservation to the LSA, and then our SCA came through at the same time and whispered to me to let her know when we were ready for it to be switched. I think she flipped the room around 11:00.

You can also request to have it switched to nighttime earlier in the evening. We like to use our bottom bunk as a couch. Some SCAs will ask when you want it switched, and if it's getting pretty late, some will say they're going to bed so they need to switch it now (like around 10 or 11).

Yeah I get woken up by noises easily. Not talking train noise, but people and the PA, so I'd probably be up early without an issue. I know we have our meals being brought to us, so I want to be up by 7 latest to make their job easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back