Best of the Lounge Lizards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it doesn't matter, accouding to some posters in another thread, the conductors are too busy operating the train to "discipline" either pax or employees. :wacko:
False.
I said no such thing.

In fact, I said the exactly opposite.

But we should probably keep that discussion in it's own thread rather than spawn sub-discussions of it all over the site.
Touched an exposed nerve?

Mass transportation brings three types of people:

Those who take liberties with the facilities and either don't know or don't care how it impacts others.

Those who's sensibilities offend easily and want to make a rule so they can avoid talking to people in group one.

Everyone else (vast majority)

In my experience, it's the folks in group #2 that are the biggest pains in the butt for they are the ones who get rules made that Group 1 does not bother to follow and make life annoying for Group 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was this "problem" handled by the various railroads pre-Amtrak?
For one, most railroads that operated first class service that is Pullman cars, (Santa Fe, UP, California Zephyr, Southern, NP and GN B&O PRR NYC ACL Seaboard) also operated separate first class lounge cars, either end of train observation cars or separate high level dome cars.

There was very little "mingling" between coach and first class as there was even a first class diner on board some trains.

But it doesn't matter, accouding to some posters in another thread, the conductors are too busy operating the train to "discipline" either pax or employees. :wacko:
False.
I said no such thing.

In fact, I said the exactly opposite.

But we should probably keep that discussion in it's own thread rather than spawn sub-discussions of it all over the site.
Touched an exposed nerve?
Yeah, I tend to get a little bent out of shape when people claim that I've said something when I've clearly said the exact opposite thing.

Repeatedly.

But hey, maybe I'm funny like that.

The only time I generally use the SSL is in the middle of the night and have no problem with passengers sleeping there. Oftentimes I'm the only one awake in the SSL at thos hours. I have seen the conductor wake up those sleeping in the SSL promptly at 6AM; otherwise in my experience they leave them alone. And I sadly agree with with Paul regarding the post above his. Too bad some sleeping car passengers have that attitude concerning those folks in coach.
Just posting to agree with all of the above.

You know what this shows? Not a bunch of a***es, instead it is the sad state of affairs at Amtrak. The lack of a sleeping accommodation that is more affordable to people. Not everyone is a retired rich couple on a land cruise with AGR earned sleeper bedroom. And get this, every human needs sleep. Nobody likes to sleep like this in lounge car on purpose, but when there is no better option, this is what happens. I must say on more than one occasion I have been tempted to sleep in the SSL when the coach was full and uncomfortable. Yes I know the self-righteous holier-than-thou bunch here will say "if you wanted to sleep you should have purchased a sleeper ticket". I wish life was so simple black and white. If the only accommodation option you provide costs half a dozen times as much as a coach seat for a single passenger, and you provide a lounge car that nowhere mentions sleeping is not allowed, I am going to use it to sleep. Deal with it.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was thinking but knew that I would be attacked by the sleeper crowd. If you have a sleeper, then why are you worried about the SSL during the night? If these people are there when there is something to see, as in when it is light out, then complain, but at night, what besides darkness and lights are you needing the SSL for?

I love hanging out in the SSL to actually SIGHT SEE at night. I enjoy going through sleepy little towns, and even the Mojave Dessert with a full moon can be pretty cool. I can't figure out how anyone from coach can actually find it more comfortable to sleep in the SSL than in their coach seat unless they are on the floor...

I have no problem with folks sleeping there late at night. I have compassion for those that don't have the resources to afford a sleeper rather than disdain like some other posters.

Kindness and empathy can go a long way in this world.

I have no problem with folks sleeping in the lounge either, as I stated earlier. I couldn't do it, though, especially sleeping on the floor. I could never get comfortable doing so. I'm much better off sleeping in coach seats. I'm just at the beginning of that age where hard floors don't do it for me any more. ;)

I have no problem with folks sleeping there late at night. I have compassion for those that don't have the resources to afford a sleeper rather than disdain like some other posters.
I do not think it ia a lack of compassion situation. I am sad some see it that way. I travel in coach when I am traveling alone, and like to sit in the SSL at times. Sometimed early in the morning. Should I be denied the option to sit at a table in the lounge and watch the sun rise, so others can sleep in it instead?

I would go for allowing the penalty box seats be used, but not the tables. Leave at least half of the SSL for it's intended use all the time.

The problem would be enforcing such a deal.

I love hanging out in the SSL to actually SIGHT SEE at night. I enjoy going through sleepy little towns, and even the Mojave Dessert with a full moon can be pretty cool. I can't figure out how anyone from coach can actually find it more comfortable to sleep in the SSL than in their coach seat unless they are on the floor...
The same here. On both counts.

I enjoy the night views on a night with a full moon. And I also do not see how it's more comfortable sleeping in a hard seat and bright full lights in the SSL vs a soft reclining seat and dimmed lights in coach? (As I've said before I've traveled many overnight in coach.)

I do not think it ia a lack of compassion situation. I am sad some see it that way. I travel in coach when I am traveling alone, and like to sit in the SSL at times. Sometimed early in the morning. Should I be denied the option to sit at a table in the lounge and watch the sun rise, so others can sleep in it instead?

I would go for allowing the penalty box seats be used, but not the tables. Leave at least half of the SSL for it's intended use all the time.

The problem would be enforcing such a deal.
Have you ever asked anyone to move if they are where you would like to sit? I didn't see photos of people sleeping at the booths in the tables, either, but then I have never gone down to the SSL during the time periods that folks are talking about.

I guess it seems like there must be a way for everyone to co-exist in the SSL in these late night/early morning hours.

I have never traveled in LD coach, but personally I am not comfortable at all sleeping next to a stranger, nor can I sleep in a recliner. If I couldn't afford sleeper, I would absolutely be attempting to sleep in the LSL. And at 5 feet tall I would probably fit a little better than some of the taller men with their feet hanging off the edge of the seats. :)

And my compassion and kindness was directed at one particular poster who likes to make nasty comments about coach pax, some of which are little more than lightly veiled insults.

And I also do not see how it's more comfortable sleeping in a hard seat and bright full lights in the SSL vs a soft reclining seat and dimmed lights in coach? (As I've said before I've traveled many overnight in coach.)
I'm not really in favor of the SSL being taken over and turned into makeshift berths, but I can see where if one had a loud, heavyset snorer, who had not bathed in several days, nor brushed their teeth after eating garlic, bean and cheese burritos brought from home and left to ripen for several days before being consumed, one might find the SSL more comfortable. :)

Yes, I have asked quite a few of the sleeping lizards if they would move so I can sit down. Because this is a public site seen by many, I'll keep their response clean, and just say they weren't too happy to be woken up in "their" seat(s).

And I also do not see how it's more comfortable sleeping in a hard seat and bright full lights in the SSL vs a soft reclining seat and dimmed lights in coach? (As I've said before I've traveled many overnight in coach.)
I'm not really in favor of the SSL being taken over and turned into makeshift berths, but I can see where if one had a loud, heavyset snorer, who had not bathed in several days, nor brushed their teeth after eating garlic, bean and cheese burritos brought from home and left to ripen for several days before being consumed, one might find the SSL more comfortable. :)
I had the same thought. How many of them were chased into the SSL due to the "neighbors" in coach. Heck, some of them might be sleeper passengers getting away from their traveling companion for the same or other reasons. Ever hear of men sleeping on the couch? ;)

In response to a few posts here...

While it would be nice that the people wanting to socialize at 3am do so in the SSL, this is not always the case, I've been awake in many a coach car at some ungodly hour because some folks near by me want to be chatty. Whereas (sadly) the SSL is a fair bit quieter.

For those who can't fathom getting a good nights sleep on the floor or the harder seats. Some folks (myself included) can't get a good nights sleep in a sitting-up position (including the reclined-ness of the coach seats). I basically don't sleep at all on airlines. And for me sleeping on the hard ground is much preferable then sitting up all night in a seat. I find it isn't much different, comfortably wise, then camping.

In the few trips I've taken overnight with an SSL on the train, the crew usually dim the lights in there as well as the coaches. However it's been a few years since I've been in an SSL at night so they may have changed this.

Have any of you high & mighty sleeper passengers who think the SSL is for you tried asking a person sleeping in the SSL to move? Or all of you just ranting online?

peter

:hi: Nice pics of the Lounge Lizards! O Some LD Trains the Conductors run off people whom are Racked out on the Couches and Seats in the SSL but Ive Never seen them make People Sleeping on the Floor go Back to Coach!

A couple of Better places to Rack out are Downstairs in the Cafe/SightseerLounge on the Bench of the Long Table ( ATrashCan or Sign may say its Closed but I've slept there with No Problem Several Times/Dark, Quiet, Comfortable and Flat!) Also the Area Behind the Last Rows of Seats in a Coach if Nothing is Stored there makes a Good Sleeping Area! If the Downstairs Coach Seating Area is not Fyull it also makes a Good Place to stretch out and Catch some Zs!! ^_^

A long time ago, when I was married and traveled (in a roomette) with a loudly snoring husband, in the middle of the night, I would go to the Viewliner cafe car and attempt to sleep (sitting up) or read. The cafe car is much less comfortable than the superliner lounge. I cannot remember any other passengers in the cafe car. Of course, crew was in and out.

As to Superliner lounge cars, I generally only frequent the lounge car during the day and rarely have had problems finding a seat. The one time I spent a considerable amount of time in the lounge at night was on the CZ from Denver westbound. I had befriended a very cute 30 year old (coach passenger) in the Denver station who interacted with me as if I was his age. :) :) :) That evening a group of "young people" hung out in the lounge (eating, drinking, chatting, etc.) until well after midnight. I "partied" with them until about 11pm (which made this middle-aged woman feel very young). I do not think their presence in the lounge prevented any other passengers from enjoying the view.

Well, I don't know if something like this is up to the conductor or not, but I remember one of my trips on the Meteor or Star where the conductor announced that the cafe car would be closed for "cleanup" at 2:00 am and not open again until 6:00 am. He cleaned everyone out too, as I recall.

Was that you next to me???

Seriously though, once I was on a CL trip with a very crowded SSL & asked a guy if the seat next to him was taken ( jacket on the seat). He said yes, it was his daughter's seat, who was in their room taking a nap!!! :wacko: I said " Well, thanx I'll get up when she gets back! He didnt say a word to me the entire time I was sitting there ( about 1 & 1/2 hours )!!!! Some people have no consideration for other's!!!

As far as the night time sleepers in the SSL, it's a hard call for me! I cant sleep in coach, that's why I'll only travel in a sleeper overnight, other wise I dont take the train!!!

I have to admit, after looking at those photos, I would be more comfortable sleeping in my Coach seat. I've done it many times and so far have not experienced a totally impossible seat mate. My first ride on a SSL consist is coming up in a couple weeks, (I'm an Easterner), and I'll have to scope it out. Maybe not as bad as it looks. I've got a sleeper but I'm a night owl too so only time can tell.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FriskyFL" data-cid="447153" data-time="1370872370"><p>

Simply "close" the SSL for "cleaning" say, between 2am & 6am, and send these vagrants back to their seats where they belong. They paid for ONE coach seat.</p></blockquote> yea so they are occupying one seat at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back