Best tips for first trip on Empire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Theresa

This is our first Amtrak excursion. I am taking my 80 year old parents. One on oxygen and the other uses a walker/cane to get around. What things should I be considering or know about?. I appreciate any advice or input to make this a first time great trip. We are going from Wisconsin to Montana. Thanks

Are you in a sleeper, or coach?

Basic tips regardless:

-Spend a lot of time in the sightseer lounge. It's the best place to view scenery from, and to interact with other passengers.

-If you're in a sleeper, your meals are included. You can eat in the dining car, or if it's easier, have meals brought to your room.

-If you're in coach, meals aren't included, but I'd still recommend having at least one in the dining car, the experience is well worth it. You can also have meals brought to your seat.

-Pack snacks and drinks, and if in coach, consider bringing a cooler to store sandwiches, etc.

-Bring books, and other forms of entertainment.

-Have a plan in place in case the train is late at either end of your trip. The EB has been running consistently late (though not as bad as it has been). Keep an eye on the status of your train via the website, the mobile app, or by calling Amtrak. If you end up having to get off in the middle of the night, due to lateness, make sure that you have transportation arranged ahead of time. You don't want to get stuck at a rural station.

-If your parents need extra assistance, don't be afraid to ask. The train staff and conductors should be helpful, and will help to make your trip run smoothly.

Lastly, just have a good time. Meet new people, see some great scenery, and enjoy a less stressful form of travel. Trains are fun to ride, and make for memorable trips.

For my medical reasons, and now She Who Must Be Obeyed recent malady,, we like the H room. Sometimes she can make it to the diner, some times not, but the SCA will come to the rescue.

If I were traveling coach, I defer to those who know

The nice thing about the H room is that if you have documentation, you can book it (correct me if I'm wrong) for the same price as a roomette. In addition, you should receive a 15% discount. Overall, that is a huge savings over a regular bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I really appreciate the comments so far. William - we are just traveling coach. Thanks for all the idea's. They thought the sleeper & beds would be too difficult for them to maneuver in. The _traveler - thanks for the warning on the walker, I had wondered about that. He will be fine using the backs of the chairs and cane. Rail Freak- we did decide to go with the lower level for them and then hope my dad can get upstairs for the sightseer lounge for better views.

Does a cooler count as a piece of luggage? Or is the 2 pc luggage maximum just for what you stow underneath?

I continue to welcome any additional thoughts and idea's. We are really excited to give this form of travel a try. Actually my mother would take the train between Iowa and Washington back in the 1950's.

Unlike a plane, there is no "underneath". And the luggage rack above your seat on trains (except on Acela) are not enclosed. I keep my folded walker and/or my 5 foot long walking stick up there.

As far as the cooler: if checked, yes, if carry-on, maybe. But remember you are allowed 2 carry-on items per person. If there's 4 people, that's 8 carry-on items!

Thank you, I really appreciate the comments so far. William - we are just traveling coach. Thanks for all the idea's. They thought the sleeper & beds would be too difficult for them to maneuver in. The _traveler - thanks for the warning on the walker, I had wondered about that. He will be fine using the backs of the chairs and cane. Rail Freak- we did decide to go with the lower level for them and then hope my dad can get upstairs for the sightseer lounge for better views.

Does a cooler count as a piece of luggage? Or is the 2 pc luggage maximum just for what you stow underneath?

I continue to welcome any additional thoughts and idea's. We are really excited to give this form of travel a try. Actually my mother would take the train between Iowa and Washington back in the 1950's.
The rule is 2 pieces carryon per person. With lots of plus exceptions, for laptops, diaper bags, child seats, assistive devices, overcoats --.

The practical limit for carryon is whatever you can carry onboard, with minor allowances for mobility problems. Carry-on luggage can be stowed above your lower-level coach seats or in the luggage racks near the entrance door - which may fill up, depending how full the coach is.

Don't try to carry too much, it's easy to over-pack and wish you hadn't. But I'd definitely take some lightweight cooler with favorite soft drinks, tea, whatever, and snacks, [ keep hydrated is my motto, waling, biking, riding trains and planes - always have extra water]

My advice is -- try to be on the right (east) side of the train when runnning from LaCrosse to Minneapolis - the river gorge and wildlife (Eagles, Great Blue Herons, etc) are amazing (you probably already know, being from WIsconsin, and you said your Mum rode to Washington only a few decades ago.

Hope your trip goes well. Keep asking any details, sure others here will help - there's a lot of experienced and helpful riders here -- but not all can watch all the time -- check back and ask again whenever you want.

I don't know a whole lot about oxygen, but if the train is running late, you need to make certain you have enough oxygen. I once met a lady who had to stay an extra day (at the NIH in Bethesda) to arrange for delivery of more oxygen.

The Empire Builder has a problem of keeping on schedule due to the high freight traffic.

Everydaymatters -----My mother uses an oxygen concentrator- so it will plug into AC (which I understand is available- I will be verifying soon). It also has a battery back up if she wants to step off train. So this machine doesn't require you to carry all the extra tanks, it generates it immediately for her.

So you are allowed two carryon and then were does the other luggage you are allowed get stored? Is it all inside the train? (Sorry for such questions, I just have no idea.

I believe I read somewhere that someone suggested bringing a little electrical multiplug cord because you often have more than one thing to plug in. So, does every seat have access to an AC outlet?

Does anyone know which side is best to sit on going through Glacier? Of course if the train runs as late as they are saying it does, we may not see daylight heading West in Glacier anyway.

Thanks again- I really do appreciate all the WONDERFUL and helpful insight.

On that train, the cars are 2 levels. There is a large (open) luggage rack above the seat(s) and also a large luggage rack on the lower level of the car (just inside the entry door). Every pair of seats and every room has a power plug. It is a good idea to bring a multi plug adapter with you.

So you are allowed two carryon and then were does the other luggage you are allowed get stored? Is it all inside the train? (Sorry for such questions, I just have no idea.
As for where the luggage gets stored... checked luggage, much like an airplane, is dropped off at the station when you depart and picked up when you arrive. You will not have access to it while the train is underway. All carry-on luggage in coach, as the_traveler pointed out, goes with you on the train.

This is something you really want to think about since you're traveling with elderly parents. You can ask for "Redcap" assistance to help you get yourself, your parents, and your carry-on bags to the train, but once you're underway you'll be responsible for all that stuff. If I were you - traveling with elderly parents who have an oxygen machine and walkers, who (I assume) won't be carrying their own luggage - be prepared to carry, stow, and "manage" their luggage on your own. If they want something while underway - whether it's a change of clothes, a book, or whatever - you're going to be the one responsible for getting that luggage down from the racks, or going downstairs to the luggage area to get it out. The fact that you're asking questions now, before you get onboard, is a very good thing!

I didn't realize that we would have access to our bags besides the carryon's during the trip. So, if we realize that we do need something from those pieces of luggage, then it may be an effort to get them, but there is access to them.

How easy is it to sleep riding on coach? Are people fairly quiet during the 'night' hours? I believe someone told me that shortly before the trip that Amtrak has called passengers to see if they want to upgrade at a discounted price, does anyone know how much they typically discount and does that then include your food?

Is it best to bring a lightweight blanket and pillow? I am guessing there can be air conditioners on the trains that could make it cold.

Thank you

For the overwhelming times I've ridden coach it has been very quiet. I personally find it next to impossible to sleep in coach other than for an hour here, an hour there. Which is why I don't do coach overnight unless it's a short overnight trip such as to/from Spokane and Glacier Park. Others have no problem sleeping in coach. I envy them! As for upgrades, I have never heard of Amtrak calling anyone to ask if they want to upgrade. For the most part nowadays train personnel don't want to bother with it. But if you do upgrade to sleeper accommodations your meals are included.

I would agree with Ryan on this, if you can manage it financially. the_traveler's advice about getting the H room downstairs is also good advice. The SCA can bring their meals to the H room if they do not feel like walking to the diner. Restrooms and showers are close by as well.

Also, keep in mind that the train's electrical power comes from the locomotive. Maybe others can elaborate on what would have to happen for there to be no head end power for the oxygen concentrator, but an emergency supply of oxygen might be something to consider bringing. I've been on a train when the power went out for ten or fifteen minutes or so, so it does happen sometimes. I don't know how long her battery lasts or if Amtrak has any emergency/battery back up for medical needs or not.

I also agree with the suggestion to check into info about the lower level H unit. It may be less expensive than you think.

Best wishes for an enjoyable trip.

Ok great- thanks again for the information. We are all getting excited and trying to get very organized with our 'stuff'.

JayPea- I know right where Colfax is, my mother grew up in Endicott, but lived her adult life in Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back