Bustitution accessibility #11(11/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjaynes288

Train Attendant
I was notified my trip home for Thanksgiving will involve a bus Salem to Eugene. I called and asked for a lift equipped bus. This was interesting as the agent thought the platform lifts for trains would work on a bus. Eventually we got straight that the bus needed its own lift. Now I am booked in a regular thruways seat with a note attached to it that I need a lift. Shouldn't I be booked into an accessible seat? Is anything I can do to increase the chances of a lift equipped bus showing up?

You could try and find out who runs the bus and call them. If it is not lift equipped, you might call and ask for a Customer Relations supervisor and advise them of a potential violation of the ADA. Also, if not lift equipped, I'd get advice from an ADA knowledgeable attorney as to how to document everything and how best to proceed if you cannot be accommodated and advise Amtrak management that you expect, since they have sufficient notice, that they explain to you how they are going to meet the ADA requirements.

I've only been on one bustitution, from Portland to Seattle for a gathering. Although I had been in the H-room since SoCal and my reservation said I had a wheelchair, when we got to the front of the line to get assigned to a bus, the agent said he didn't know anyone had a wheelchair, and he had no buses with lifts. Eventually, he called a service with a lift-equipped van that drove down from Seattle. The van did not not have any kind of lockdown for the wheelchair or seatbelts to safely stay in it while driving, so I transferred.

I agree with me_little_me's suggestions, but with the addition that you carry food and beverage. Even better, if you can change your trip to another day that is all train, I'd make the change.

I was on a train years ago (5-8) that had a bustitution in WV in the middle of nowhere due to a freight derailment up ahead. They sent 3 buses for the Cardinal's passengers. One of the 3 buses sent had a wheelchair lift. :)

I think that if someone is booked in the H-Room (as there was) an accessible bus will be sent. (If they can do so in Prince, WV for an unscheduled bustitution, why can't they do so for a scheduled bustitution? :huh: ) I still think you should verify one will be used if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back