Calling All Fare Gurus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timetoride

Train Attendant
A while back I posted asking advice about a May 2009 trip that two other family members and I hope to make. I received and am very grateful for much wonderful information given then.

Now I have a question about pricing. I've read enough to realize it can be very confusing...and now I know that's certainly true!

Called Amtrak and booked a round trip from Jackson, MS, to Vancouver, BC, for 1 Senior and 2 AAA Adults. Reserved two roomettes from JAN to CHI and two bedrooms from CHI to SEA then have Thru way Service on to VAC. Same accommodations were reserved for the return trip. Round trip total was $4,650.60.

A few days later when trying to figure each person's share of that amount, I decided to call Amtrak and ask if they had the "per person" breakdown in their system. The agent said it did not show in her system, then she asked me to hold on. In a few minutes she came back on and said she had called Customer Service and they were working on a breakdown for me.

Later the agent came back on and said:

"The Senior total is $2,050.60. The total for the 2 AAA Adults is $2,600.00."

Based on that, the share for 1 AAA Adult would be $1,300....which is a LOT less than the 1 Senior total.

Could those of you who understand more about the pricing system shed some light on how that was figured? Would it have been better if the Senior had used their AAA discount instead? :blink:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fare guru (but I AM your Vancouver C of C guy!) :lol: I'm sure others will have a more accurate or definitive answer, but here's what I think you have to do. I've laid it out in six easy-to-follow steps B) :

1) Discounts (whether senior or AAA or other) apply only to the coach portion of the fare (the part that shows as "transportation"). Sleeping accomodations are not discounted. Therefore, the differential between senior and non-senior will be fairly small.

2) I think the per-person allocation would depend on which room Amtrak "assigned" the senior to when making their calculation. As mentioned above, it doesn't matter for determining the fare, only for your cost accounting purposes.

3) The most important thing is to be happy that the overall fare is reasonable and (reasonably) correct.

4) To allocate the "transportation" portion to the senior, take the total "transportation" number, divide it by 2.85. Multiply the result by 0.85. The resulting number is the senior's portion. Subtract it from the total "transportation" number and divide the result by two. Those are the "transportation" portions allocable to the two non-seniors. Assuming they both qualified for the AAA discount, you've got the correct allocation of "transportation" for all three.

5) Now the fun begins! Get all three of you together and, to honour (note the correct spelling) your Canadian destination, crack open a bottle of Crown Royal. After your third drink, reach a conclusion as to who will get the roomette and who will double up in the bedroom. Then go to the Amtrak website and get representative upgrade prices for each of the legs for each type of room. Calculate an average for the three legs (or six legs if the upgrade prices are different for the return trip). Divide the upgrade prices for the bedroom by two. Then allocate the "Accomodation" portion of the fare according to the pro-rata markup amounts so calculated.

6) Simple! Of course, you will have to decide whether it's better to be the solo occupant of the Roomette or a double occupant of a bedroom in order for you all to be happy with the outcome.

By that time, you will have consumed the bottle of Crown Royal and everybody will be in a good frame of mind for your trip of a lifetime. Cheers, and Welcome to Vancouver!

Later the agent came back on and said:
"The Senior total is $2,050.60. The total for the 2 AAA Adults is $2,600.00."

Based on that, the share for 1 AAA Adult would be $1,300....which is a LOT less than the 1 Senior total.
The price for the roomette is the rail fare PER PERSON plus the room charge PER ROOM! Since the room charge is the same amount for 1 or 2 people in the room, the "cost per person would be higher for the single person!

To make it simple, use these figures:

The rail fare (before discounts) is $500 per person and the roomette charge is $1,000 per roomette.

For the senior, it is a 15% discount on the rail fare only. Thus the rail fare is $425 plus $1,000 for the roomette - for a total of $1,425.00 for the senior's room.

For the AAA adults, it is a 10% discount on the rail fare only Thus the rail fare is $450 per person ($900 for both) plus $1,000 for the roomette - for a total for that room (2 people) of $1,900! Divided by 2, that will be $950 per person!

So one room would be $1,425 and the other room would be $950 per person!

A few days later when trying to figure each person's share of that amount, ...
I would get the tickets, and see. It should be trivial to figure this all out, with the tickets in hand.

There will be a tickets for each person.

Listed right out on each ticket, will be that particular person's rail or transportation charge.

Plus, some of the tickets will have an accommodation charge, listed separately. That ticket will also note, exactly for which accommodation it is for (car and room number). Split that accommodation charge amongst those using that room (split evenly or how ever you want).

I hope an easier way to reiterate...

"Per person based on double occupancy" applies here. The per-person rate will be higher for someone not sharing a room.

:) I KNEW I could count on getting the pricing mystery explained here.

We're very satisfied with the overall Amtrak total...just wanting to divide the fare fairly. :lol:

George, after investigating all your Vancouver C of C tips, we think we need to make Vancouver a destination in itself.

Thanks, everyone, for the answers. I'm off to find a calculator and make a stop by the liquor store. :D

I hope an easier way to reiterate...
"Per person based on double occupancy" applies here. The per-person rate will be higher for someone not sharing a room.
Well, Amtrak doesn't do "per person" pricing. For example, it isn't $250 per person double occupancy ($500 total). The first person pays $50 plus the full room change of $400. The second person pays just their $50.

I think the OP was trying to actually calculate the "per person" charges, and is finding it isn't easy (at least not until one gets their tickets).

I think the OP was trying to actually calculate the "per person" charges, and is finding it isn't easy (at least not until one gets their tickets).
Correct, it's not easy at all. Frankly the easiest thing that TimetoRide can do is wait until they have the tickets in hand. Then each person pays the railfare listed on their tickets. Then take the total charges for accomodations and add them up and divide by three. The seniior will come out slightly ahead, since they'll get 15% off the railfare, whereas everyone else gets just 10%.

This forum is one of the greatest resources I've come across!! Everyone's input is extremely helpful and greatly valued. Thanks, again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back