Can You Buy Two Seats For Yourself?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
When I'm on the train, It is usually for business so space is important. Even business class can get crowed and sold out on some days of the week. Airlines allow you to do this but does Amtrak allow you to book two seats for yourself if I need the seat next to me empty so I can spread out my computer and documents and work? There is no guarantee that I will get two seats to myself, but say if I was originating at the beginning station so I can grab two seats together. The conductors say, one ticket one seat, so two tickets two seats?

Others have specifically called Amtrak and they said that they can't guarantee that you will be able to get two seats. That being said if you are boarding at the originating station I think it's worth a shot.

Others have specifically called Amtrak and they said that they can't guarantee that you will be able to get two seats. That being said if you are boarding at the originating station I think it's worth a shot.
Thanks for the info! More worried that they would cancel one of the reservation as a "impossible" itinerary.

Let me throw a question out regarding this. So, you purchase two tickets for yourself. What would happen if you didn't have both tickets scanned; would that second 'seat' now be considered unsold, and could potentially be sold on down the line?

Q#1) I would not make both reservations for "John Jones". And I would not try to earn AGR points for both. I would make one for"John Jones" and the other for "Jim Smith".

Q#2) I do believe so. I would make sure both are scanned.

I would think you pay for both tickets using the same name?? So like this there would be no question you bought and paid for both tickets??

Bruce-SSR

The fact that Amtrak installs no divider to keep a potentially creepy seatmate from cuddling up to you at night is a problem that would be easily solved by selling two seats to one person so that you could maintain some dignity when traveling alone (or in odd numbers) in coach. Unfortunately for whatever reason Amtrak does not appear to be setup and the staff do not appear to be properly trained to handle this sort of request quietly and peacefully. Some folks have indicated that suffering from (or claiming to suffer from) a physical disability that somehow benefits from purchasing a second seat can sometimes get the staff off your back, but I would not be terribly surprised to see a second purchased seat forcibly confiscated and given to another passenger no matter what sort of paperwork you had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a general point, but at least on LD trains there are going to be cases where grabbing a room is going to be a far more effective option. Given the regrettable lack of any private space for sale on shorter-distance trains, however...yeah, this is probably the best option.

A serious question: I know there has been mention of staff possibly confiscating a second seat even with two valid tickets in hand. What would one's recourse be in the event that the second seat was confiscated? i.e. Could one demand a refund for the second seat?

You can buy two seats.

The only reason the second seat would or should be "confiscated" is if the train is oversold and there are standees. In this case you would indeed be entitled to a refund.

As already mentioned, the staff can and will be inconsistently trained on this. Overall it's very rare someone buys two seats for oneself. A crew member could go years and never encounter this.

Airlines allow you to do this but does Amtrak allow you to book two seats for yourself if I need the seat next to me empty so I can spread out my computer and documents and work?
Airlines assign seats. So you can get two seats next to each other.

Amtrak doesn't assign seats. So, you can buy two tickets, but there is no guarantee that both seats will be together, just like if two people bought two seats. Would one seat in one car, and the second seat in another car, really help you spread out?

Yeah, I'm guessing that with a nearly-full LD train, in a middle-of-the-night stop, someone gets on and needs a seat, they're not going to be exactly sympathetic to your, "But I bought TWO seats" plea. Perhaps even the conductors would not be sympathetic.

But I also agree with the person who pointed out "no divider allows for creepers to do stuff in the middle of the night you might not want them to try." Granted, a well-placed poke in the ribs (or similar) might put the person off, still, ick.

It's not just because of the random creeper either. I'm sure some heavyset people would feel more comfortable having that extra space. At my heaviest, my thigh always touched the other person's, and I felt bad. Plus, there's that "blecch... I don't want to be this close to a stranger..." feeling, and I'm sure they felt the same way about me. I tried to scrunch myself as much as possible and went to the lounge a lot, but one can only scrunch-and-hide for so many hours.

Buy two seats. In my case those seats would be reserved to Mr. Green Maned Lion and Mr. Samsonite Lion. And if they argue, you say: Listen, bub, my bag paid for that seat and it's gonna stay in that seat.

Your best bet would be to purchase a room.

Amtrak's Service Standards Manual says that a passenger cannot buy two seats to avoid having someone sit next to them.

Amtrak's Service Standards Manual says that a passenger cannot buy two seats to avoid having someone sit next to them.
Can you point out where in the blue book it says this? That might be helpful for everyone.

I distinctly remember us having this conversation on this board before, someone called 1800USARAIL and was told it couldn't be done and they would not be allowed to book two tickets in one name. That is I think why others are suggesting you use a different name for the second ticket.

I think knowing what type of train someone is attempting this on might be helpful. Long distance, corridor, NEC, acela, etc?

It's really a shame Amtrak doesn't allow this. It doesn't take revenue away.

When I booked two seats with Southwest, I used "Sarah Z" for the first seat and then "Sarah XS Z" for the second, per their instructions. That way, both seats were in my name, with the fake middle initials "XS" indicating it was my extra seat.

Just buy a roomette. It would only be a bit more than getting a double rail fare, and comes with a lot better service. For SD trains, get a business class seat. Even if it is full, most of the people in business class SHOULD have a concept of personal space and should be professional towards you.

Can you point out where in the blue book it says this? That might be helpful for everyone.

I distinctly remember us having this conversation on this board before, someone called 1800USARAIL and was told it couldn't be done and they would not be allowed to book two tickets in one name. That is I think why others are suggesting you use a different name for the second ticket.

I think knowing what type of train someone is attempting this on might be helpful. Long distance, corridor, NEC, acela, etc?
I dont have access to the book at this moment.

I will look it up when I get a chance.

Thank you RuleG. I tried to look at the old version (version 6) up on government attic and there is a space in the "standee" section that says make sure each passenger only occupies one seat, but I didn't see anything that specifically forbade buying two tickets for two seats. However I know this version is outdated.

2djpgs9.png

The word "two" appears a LOT in the blue book.

Anyhow, here's what it has to say:

A passenger who requires two seats due to a

disability, including obesity caused by a disability,

a leg in a cast, a hip operation, may book two

seats and pay only one fare.

d) A passenger who requires two seats due to size

alone, not caused by a disability, may book two

seats but must pay the lowest applicable fare for

both seats.

e) A passenger cannot book two seats simply

because they do not want anyone sitting next to

them. If the train is full, it is very hard to explain

to standing passengers why that empty seat cannot

be used.
Short version: Need two seats because of disability? One fare, but you get two seats. Need two seats because of your weight? You can have two seats, but you'll have to pay for them both. Skinny and antisocial? Tough. You'll sit in one seat and you'll like it. :)

Just buy a roomette. It would only be a bit more than getting a double rail fare, and comes with a lot better service. For SD trains, get a business class seat. Even if it is full, most of the people in business class SHOULD have a concept of personal space and should be professional towards you.
There are no roomettes on the Surfliner corridor trains.

Reading Comprehension Fail.

When I'm on the train, It is usually for business so space is important. Even business class can get crowed and sold out on some days of the week. Airlines allow you to do this but does Amtrak allow you to book two seats for yourself if I need the seat next to me empty so I can spread out my computer and documents and work? There is no guarantee that I will get two seats to myself, but say if I was originating at the beginning station so I can grab two seats together. The conductors say, one ticket one seat, so two tickets two seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back