Change Transition Sleeper to Sleep

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leemell

Conductor
I've observed that the CS Transition Sleepers are being replaced/modified (at least on the outside). The name on the car is changing from "Transition Sleeper" just below the windows to "Sleeper" next to the passenger door. Anyone know why and what else it implies, if anything?

I can only guess that it is a name change only for "those who do not know what a transition sleeper is". They booked a sleeper, so they are looking for the "sleeper", not a car that says "transition sleeper"! :rolleyes:

Actually, it sounds like the transition sleeper was replaced with a 32000 series sleeper car. The Trans-dorms are 39000 series. Are you positive it wasn't a regular sleeper car?

Looking back to all my trips from this year and last year...the transition sleeper name has been gone since they removed "SUPERLINER" from the cars. So, this has been a while now...

However, the "TRANSITION SLEEPER" is still on the doors between the cars.

I've observed that the CS Transition Sleepers are being replaced/modified (at least on the outside). The name on the car is changing from "Transition Sleeper" just below the windows to "Sleeper" next to the passenger door. Anyone know why and what else it implies, if anything?
Seems I remember that the trans/sleeper on the TE last week said only Sleeper as well.

just why did they remove superliner from the cars.
I think he is referring to the BIG Superliner that use to be on the sides under the windows. The cars still say Superliner but they are in small print under the car number. It also seems that Superliner is only printed on the forward facing end of the right side and the rear end of the left side.

Example...

wordsuperliner.jpg

The locomotive is to the right and this pattern continued for the whole train.

Looking back to all my trips from this year and last year...the transition sleeper name has been gone since they removed "SUPERLINER" from the cars. So, this has been a while now...
Last nights TE #21/#421 Transition sleeper had "Coach Class" by the door but was a Transition Crew Sleeper? BTW: UP is working on the main between TAY and AUS and the average Soutbound delay into Austin is running 2-2 1/2 Hrs. !The NB #22/#422 is not affected since the track work is occuring in the day until dark on this section! One our members is on a great circle trip of America, passed through last night, Tracy and wife are riding in High Cotton as we say!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last nights TE #21/#421 Transition sleeper had "Coach Class" by the door but was a Transition Crew Sleeper?
Jim, the only possibilities I can think of are...

For some reason there was a coach in the lead position.

The car was mislabeled (I do not think that is likely)

Or you were mistaken (not meaning to be mean, but it is a possibility, I think I have made a mistake in the past, though I cannot remember it :lol: )

I would be very interested to learn the details if the first is true. Perhaps some car was bad ordered or they stuck the through coach up front.

Actually, it sounds like the transition sleeper was replaced with a 32000 series sleeper car. The Trans-dorms are 39000 series. Are you positive it wasn't a regular sleeper car?
N0, but the forward vestibule was at the baggage car level.

Last nights TE #21/#421 Transition sleeper had "Coach Class" by the door but was a Transition Crew Sleeper?

Or you were mistaken (not meaning to be mean, but it is a possibility, I think I have made a mistake in the past, though I cannot remember it :lol: )

I would be very interested to learn the details if the first is true. Perhaps some car was bad ordered or they stuck the through coach up front.
I was not a coach, the rooms could clearly be seen through the windows and it did say sleeper by the entry. This is not the first of these I have seen. In the recent past I have seen some where you could clearly see where the words "Transistion Sleer" had been removed.

I was not a coach, the rooms could clearly be seen through the windows and it did say sleeper by the entry. This is not the first of these I have seen. In the recent past I have seen some where you could clearly see where the words "Transistion Sleer" had been removed. The next time I see one I will get the number.

I was not a coach, the rooms could clearly be seen through the windows and it did say sleeper by the entry. This is not the first of these I have seen. In the recent past I have seen some where you could clearly see where the words "Transistion Sleer" had been removed. The next time I see one I will get the number.
I am confused, Jim reported it said Coach Class by the door not sleeper.

I reported the CS not the TE had a sleeper.

It did say sleeper not coach.

I was uncertain too when it said "Coach class" on the first car behind the engine on #21 last night in Austin so I walked up to the attendant standing there and the conductor and they affirmed it was a crew sleeper, I could see the roomettes upstairs and the "office space" through the window, dont have a clue why it says "Coach Class" on the side and neither did they? :unsure:

There have been a few occasions where cars were mislabeled when they came out of the paint shop. A few Horizon coach cars said "Businessclass" even though they were, certainly, regular 70-whatever seat coaches (and operated in service as such).

"Transition Sleeper" changing to just plain old "Sleeping car" was probably done to reduce confusion among the public. The folks that need to know (crews) already know. Calling it a sleeping car is correct, so might as well do so. One less set of stencils to maintain.

The giant "SUPERLINER" titles were probably more expensive and time-consuming to apply than the updated paint scheme (this was when David Gunn was rehabbing the fleet with very little money to do so). Plus, having seen many of the cars towards the end of that scheme, the "SU ERL N R" titles were really looking shabby. Why have a high-maintenance paint scheme, when a simpler one will do just as well?

There have been a few occasions where cars were mislabeled when they came out of the paint shop. A few Horizon coach cars said "Businessclass" even though they were, certainly, regular 70-whatever seat coaches (and operated in service as such).
"Transition Sleeper" changing to just plain old "Sleeping car" was probably done to reduce confusion among the public. The folks that need to know (crews) already know. Calling it a sleeping car is correct, so might as well do so. One less set of stencils to maintain.

The giant "SUPERLINER" titles were probably more expensive and time-consuming to apply than the updated paint scheme (this was when David Gunn was rehabbing the fleet with very little money to do so). Plus, having seen many of the cars towards the end of that scheme, the "SU ERL N R" titles were really looking shabby. Why have a high-maintenance paint scheme, when a simpler one will do just as well?
Plus, I think it was weird to have the word Superliner so large on the side. Typically, you want you company name to be the main focus. I wonder if anyone ever said they were catching Superliner instead of Amtrak.

I reported the CS not the TE had a sleeper.

It did say sleeper not coach.
Just to clarify, I realize this thread was originally discussing the Coast Starlight. That is why I quoted Jim's post in my reply referring to a secondary discussion concerning the TE.

I was uncertain too when it said "Coach class" on the first car behind the engine on #21 last night in Austin so I walked up to the attendant standing there and the conductor and they affirmed it was a crew sleeper, I could see the roomettes upstairs and the "office space" through the window, dont have a clue why it says "Coach Class" on the side and neither did they? :unsure:
So it was just a mislabel. Glad you asked them. You did not happen to get the car number did you?

Last nights TE #21/#421 Transition sleeper had "Coach Class" by the door but was a Transition Crew Sleeper? BTW: UP is working on the main between TAY and AUS and the average Soutbound delay into Austin is running 2-2 1/2 Hrs. !The NB #22/#422 is not affected since the track work is occuring in the day until dark on this section! One our members is on a great circle trip of America, passed through last night, Tracy and wife are riding in High Cotton as we say!
Jim, I found another reference to this on another board. They reported the car on the CONO #39026. Found several pictures but none clearly show the words next to the door.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1528212

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1022628

Jim, I found another reference to this on another board. They reported the car on the CONO #39026. Found several pictures but none clearly show the words next to the door.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1528212

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1022628
Thanks, that's it! Since the Eagle and CONO are running through right now that splains that as Ricky Ricardo would say! ;) Does anyone know if any Superliner coaches were ever converted to Transition Sleepers, equipment is not my area of expertise for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back