Chicago-Boston direct service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-Regarding cold meals vs hot meals for Boston passengers, that's still being firmed up, and nothing's for sure yet. At the very least, cold meals should be available, but logic would dictate that since you're running a Diner-Lounge (and let's remember, Diner-Lounge refers to the car while Diner-Lite refers to the menu!) to Boston, one would think that some sort of food service should be available. A lot hinges on what staff will be working the Diner-Lounge out of Boston.
Acela First Class food would be trivially available in the Boston commisary if they wanted to offer that, right?

The LSL has been running with 3 viewliners out of NYP, and they're simply taking one of those and putting it in Boston. So NYP will release 2 viewliners onto the LSL, and Boston will release the third. Amtrak reservations are working on a reservation-by-reservation basis right now to re-accommodate people that were booked out of NYP on that Boston sleeper and to offer the Boston sleeper to BOS-ALB passengers who are currently booked sleeper out of ALB. The Boston sleeper won't show up on the website until they finish that task.
i'm wondering when they'll start getting around to that. i rang amtrak earlier this morning and two of two agents hadn't the foggiest notion what i was on about when i mentioned rebooking us in the boston sleeper for our next HFD->AUS trek in december. we had already booked seats on #449 out of SPG, moving into our sleeper at ALB. but they the only note they had as far as changes to #448/449 after october 27th was some slight arrival/departure time changes at SPG.

i'm hoping customer service -- when they open monday -- will be able to help us out. it would be great to get directly into our compartment at SPG rather than at ALB.

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

Also, which car is no longer running through to NYP? 4812/4912 would be what I'd guess would be most likely (I believe the sleepers are numbered 10 through 12), but does anyone know if that's actually the car being reassigned?

Also, which car is no longer running through to NYP? 4812/4912 would be what I'd guess would be most likely (I believe the sleepers are numbered 10 through 12), but does anyone know if that's actually the car being reassigned?
It should be the 12 car that would be reassigned.

The problem with that is that the LSL only runs with 3 sleepers during the summer and shoulder months. That third sleeper usually goes to the Silver Service during the winter months and shoulder's. So I have to wonder if this means that they won't be running three sleepers during the winter months on both Silver Service trains.

That third sleeper usually goes to the Silver Service during the winter months and shoulder's. So I have to wonder if this means that they won't be running three sleepers during the winter months on both Silver Service trains.
...but what if they decided to extend a Silver Service train to Boston?

That third sleeper usually goes to the Silver Service during the winter months and shoulder's. So I have to wonder if this means that they won't be running three sleepers during the winter months on both Silver Service trains.
...but what if they decided to extend a Silver Service train to Boston?
I haven't heard anything on that plan now for several years, basically ever since the National Growth Strategy died.

Read where the money had been allotted for the new track in Albany station. Anybody know if it has been laid yet? This might help in switching/breaking up # 48 & 49 into #448 & 449.
I haven't heard or seen any reports that would indicate that they've started laying track.

However I'll know in just about two weeks if anything is being done.
Just found the source~ Railway Age News for October 1st. There was a $1 million dollar grant from the DOT for track work. I guess they won't be laying the track anytime soon.

What's the status of this? I don't think Amtrak has tried to contact me about rebooking my business class seats on #449/#448 that perhaps are no longer going to be available, and as of last night it looked like it was impossible to book anything other than coach between BOS and ALB on a new reservation for most dates in the future that are otherwise bookable...

Through sleeping car service is always good, especially for overnight business travelers. It will be very good if sleeping car service is restored to the Night Owl .

What's the status of this? I don't think Amtrak has tried to contact me about rebooking my business class seats on #449/#448 that perhaps are no longer going to be available, and as of last night it looked like it was impossible to book anything other than coach between BOS and ALB on a new reservation for most dates in the future that are otherwise bookable...
Try 1-800-USA-RAIL :rolleyes:

Try 1-800-USA-RAIL :rolleyes:

I called this week, and either the cars didn't appear to be in the system yet or my agent didn't have the info. I'm still glad I called though, because a day's stay in ALB had magically appeared in my itinerary which was never in any of my previous email confirmations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel,

I'd call Amtrak to check in. While the outbound marketing folks are generally good about getting this stuff taken care of, this is something a little different than what they're accustomed to (which is usually booking folks onto busstitutions and the like) and I'd hate for you to get lost in the cracks, so to speak. I'd call, and if they can't help, call back a few days later, and just keep trying. Unless they still have business class seats on 448/449 in the system for some reason, I'd be willing to bet that your name is on the coach list right now and you should let them know you're interested in a sleeper, if that's what you want to do. Just my 2 cents.

Rafi

(maybe the Great Dome on the Adirondack was a second chance test for them?).
I was told by the Assistant Conductor on the Adirondack that they get that one month in the year; is that still the case?

I just got off the phone with an amtrak agent who says there are NO thru sleepers from Albany to Boston - when I pressed for further research she got annoyed -

Anyone else know anything for sure?

David

This makes the Lake Shore the second current Amtrak train to perform a split/combine en-route (the other being the Empire Builder; some may count the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited as well, although it's a slightly different maneuver).
Rafi
Hi Rafi. Can you explain the difference in the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited and LSL as far as the split/combine? Thanks!

The problem with that is that the LSL only runs with 3 sleepers during the summer and shoulder months. That third sleeper usually goes to the Silver Service during the winter months and shoulder's. So I have to wonder if this means that they won't be running three sleepers during the winter months on both Silver Service trains.
Shoulders???? :unsure:

Shoulders???? :unsure:
Shoulder months are October-December, and after the winter are April-June.

I just got off the phone with an amtrak agent who says there are NO thru sleepers from Albany to Boston - when I pressed for further research she got annoyed -

David
I wish I had your answer. I took Lake Shore Chgo-Bos in mid Sept, and there was track work eastbound. We were put on a bus. However, Amtrak called days before the trip to tell me this, so it wasn't like they kept it a secret.

Maybe make another call and ask if there will be a bus for that leg of the trip--is there still track work?

Hi Rafi. Can you explain the difference in the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited and LSL as far as the split/combine? Thanks!
Hi Mark,

Sure. The Lake Shore and Empire Builder actually split into two separate, distinct trains, kind of like a worm getting cut in half. Coming the other way, the two separate trains combine into one.

With the Texas Eagle and Sunset, it's a little more complicated. First of all, the dance for those trains only happens 3 times a week since the Sunset is Tri-Weekly.

Headed east, the Sunset arrives into San Antonio and one sleeper and one coach are detached from the rear. The Sunset continues on east to New Orleans. Those two cars that got detached are then interwoven into an already existing Texas Eagle train set that just arrived into San Antonio from Chicago, and the train departs northbound the next morning as a brand new train.

Going the other way, the Texas Eagle arrives into San Antonio from Chicago, the LA-bound cars are unwoven from the trainset and set aside until the Sunset arrives, when they're coupled to the rear of the train and head west to LA.

So the difference is that the Empire Builder and Lake Shore perform a hard split with both new trains not carrying any new cars, where the Texas Eagle/Sunset gets new cars interleaved or tacked onto an already existing train in San Antonio. Again, a slight difference.

-Rafi

David
For some reason, Amtrak still hasn't opened booking of sleeper accommodations on 448 or 449 to Chicago. That does NOT mean that there are no thru sleepers. If the agent were to look at the actual consist for the train on a date after October 27, he/she should definitely see that sleeper in there; they just haven't released the rooms for booking yet it appears.

This assumes nothing's changed since Amtrak announced the thru-sleeper service two weeks ago, obviously.

-Rafi

David
For some reason, Amtrak still hasn't opened booking of sleeper accommodations on 448 or 449 to Chicago. That does NOT mean that there are no thru sleepers. If the agent were to look at the actual consist for the train on a date after October 27, he/she should definitely see that sleeper in there; they just haven't released the rooms for booking yet it appears.

This assumes nothing's changed since Amtrak announced the thru-sleeper service two weeks ago, obviously.

-Rafi
My continued understanding is that the addition of the through sleeper has been postponed due to issues involving the servicing of a single Viewliner in Boston.

My continued understanding is that the addition of the through sleeper has been postponed due to issues involving the servicing of a single Viewliner in Boston.
My guess is that they may not be calling passengers with existing reservations at all if they know they haven't worked this issue out yet. If anyone has gotten a call about changing reservations onto a through sleeper, I'd be interested in hearing about that.

I do wonder how much stocking parts is really an issue. At most hours of the day, a part that would fit on a Regional train could probably find its way from Sunnyside Yard to South Station in under 6 hours, if you count both the travel time (around 3.5 hours), and the waiting for the next train (maybe two hours in the typical worst case in the middle of the day?), though I guess this would be easier if there were more Northeast Regional trains with baggage cars. Then again, if they desparately needed to ship a part on a rare occasion, they might be able to attach a baggage car to a train that ordinarily wouldn't have a baggage car...

My guess is that they may not be calling passengers with existing reservations at all if they know they haven't worked this issue out yet. If anyone has gotten a call about changing reservations onto a through sleeper, I'd be interested in hearing about that.

I do wonder how much stocking parts is really an issue. At most hours of the day, a part that would fit on a Regional train could probably find its way from Sunnyside Yard to South Station in under 6 hours, if you count both the travel time (around 3.5 hours), and the waiting for the next train (maybe two hours in the typical worst case in the middle of the day?), though I guess this would be easier if there were more Northeast Regional trains with baggage cars. Then again, if they desparately needed to ship a part on a rare occasion, they might be able to attach a baggage car to a train that ordinarily wouldn't have a baggage car...
"Most hours of the day," the sleeper wouldn't be in Boston. Unless they knew they needed a part in advance (I don't know if they'd inspect the car enroute, though), they probably wouldn't find out something was broken until it got into Boston. If the train arrived on time, it would get in at 9:45 pm. If it's late...who knows what time it would get in? The next day's train leaves at 11:55 am.

The next train from New York to Boston (after 9:45 pm) is train 66, which leaves NYP at 3:15 am and arrives in Boston just before 8:00 am. This train does have a baggage car, at least.

I don't know what kind of Viewliner-specific parts might break that would need to be fixed in Boston, nor do I know how long it might take to fix them. In any event, they'd have a 3-4 hour window in which to fix the issue.

Who knows? Depending on the nature of the issue, and whatever spare equipment might be available, it might be easier to ferry a Viewliner up on 66 from Sunnyside, and send the broken one down to New York to get fixed.

On the other hand, if something is discovered last-minute, they'd have no choice but to blank the sleeper line (unless, again, Sunnyside had an extra Viewliner that they could attach to the regular Lake Shore).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back